Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-26-2015, 05:39 PM   #141

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewingcybermom View Post
An entry I recently wrote on facebook after watching my son fight a structural fire near our home.
Attachment 80517

Attachment 80518

Attachment 80519

Attachment 80520

I smelled something very strong and very toxic. I walked out to my sidewalk and saw lots of smoke coming out of a house. Seconds later I saw my son zooming out of the driveway with his fire lights on. Then my heart started pounding, so I ran. I left all the doors of my house open, the dog sitting in the doorway, and I ran towards the fire, towards my son. I know he's an EMT & fire fighter, I thought I knew how much he loved what he does but watching in horror as my son entered a burning structure is just unimaginable. The focus in his big blue eyes, the determination on his face, the ease in which he took on this task was effortless. This is what he lives for...FIRE, emergencies, driving ambulances, saving people. My emotions ran strong and hard. I couldn't focus, I couldn't stop thinking of how proud I am, how scared I was and how scared he must be. I prayed HARD for his safety. My son...my only son went into a burning building without ever thinking twice about it, without ever turning back, without ever hesitating. Today I feared for life, I shook at the possibility that this may be the last time I see him. It's that real...it's that scary. "Mom, I want to be a fire fighter." I didn't take him seriously and I made him go to college. After he graduated with a Bachelors degree in art and minor in music he does this..his lifelong dream. now I do take him seriously, now I do. God bless you Joseph.
As a 30 year retired firefighter and now father of a firefighter I understand what you are talking about. I never much thought about myself while on the job, but now I definitely worry about my son.

I always liked my job. My son loves his job. And I share your pride. May God bless both our kids and those they work with.