Closed Thread

Old 09-25-2016, 09:25 PM   #161

Quote:
Originally Posted by itat View Post
If I have leftover would that I've bought at the campground I do not bring it home unless I'm camping 10 miles away from home. If I leave it on my site I'm leaving it for the next occupant of that site, not for somebody else. I'm paying it forward.

It's not like leaving your junk at the curb at home for the local junk collectors to take overnight. Have a little class people.
It's exactly like leaving your unwanted junk at the curb! So if a fellow camper at another site wants to use your thrown away wood, he has no class? You left it to be used. I think this idea that discarded wood left at a campsite belongs to the campsite is interesting thinking

Reese Fifth Airborne air ride king pin coupler with Sidewinder
Old 09-25-2016, 09:36 PM   #162

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenImp View Post
Question for those that have propane fire pits and roast marshmallows with them. Are fallen marshmallows a problem that requires cleaning/removal?
Better yet, should you leave some marshmallows behind for the next camper..

But of course you should pick up fallen marshmallows. Nothing worse (well almost) than having one of those things stuck to the bottom of your shoe.

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
Old 09-25-2016, 09:46 PM   #163

Im just wondering what makes the dude who arrives at your site five days from now more deserving of your leftover wood than the guy next to you who will be there tonight and tomorrow night and could use it too.

This weekend there was a stack of wood exactly halfway between my site and the one next door. He wasn't using it, and it didn't clearly belong to him. It was there when I got there. Who's entitled to it? Should we have shared it? (I brought my own and didn't use it. He never had a fire and didn't use it either. It was still there when I left this afternoon.)

I think leftover firewood should be treated like any other wood lying around (branches, trunks, etc. ) Whoever wants to walk around and gather it up... I don't see any shame in it, although I've never done it. I might think twice now, however, if people are gonna look down on me.
Old 09-25-2016, 09:48 PM   #164
Canadian Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
It's exactly like leaving your unwanted junk at the curb! So if a fellow camper at another site wants to use your thrown away wood, he has no class? You left it to be used. I think this idea that discarded wood left at a campsite belongs to the campsite is interesting thinking
If I leave my wood on my site, I leave it beside the fire pit, not at the roadside. If I want to give it to a neighbor I'lll do that. I'm not throwing it away or discarding it, I'm giving it to the next person on my site. If someone goes around the campground and scrounges wood from other sites IMO it's poor etiquette.
2009 Ford F-150 XLT SuperCrew, 5.4L, 5'6" bed (2012 - 2016)

Old 09-25-2016, 09:57 PM   #165

Quote:
Originally Posted by itat View Post
If I leave my wood on my site, I leave it beside the fire pit, not at the roadside. If I want to give it to a neighbor I'lll do that. I'm not throwing it away or discarding it, I'm giving it to the next person on my site. If someone goes around the campground and scrounges wood from other sites IMO it's poor etiquette.
So with that logic, the next person using that site is 'scrounging' your thrown away wood. Guess we will just agree to not understand each other's thinking. But know if I camp next to you and you leave wood, I am going to use it
Reese Fifth Airborne air ride king pin coupler with Sidewinder
Old 09-25-2016, 10:16 PM   #166

I take my chainsaw with me and cut it as I need it. Hatchet and splitting wedge too. I do camp primitive, as in off road.
Old 09-25-2016, 10:29 PM   #167
Canadian Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
So with that logic, the next person using that site is 'scrounging' your thrown away wood. Guess we will just agree to not understand each other's thinking. But know if I camp next to you and you leave wood, I am going to use it
No, as I said in my previous post I'm paying it forward to a specific person and they are accepting my gift, not scrounging.

I understand what you're saying though, and in fact that may well be happening without my knowing it. So I guess in the future I should donate it to someone of my choice personally rather that leaving it up for grabs by anyone inclined to just walk onto another person's site and scrounge it.
2009 Ford F-150 XLT SuperCrew, 5.4L, 5'6" bed (2012 - 2016)

Old 09-25-2016, 10:35 PM   #168

I just cut down the largest tree next to my campsite then spend the whole first day cutting it up with a very loud chain saw and log splitter. I then sell it to the campers at just under the price the campground sells it. If anyone tries to come and take some while I'm still occupying the campsite, I chase them away with crossbow. Just before I leave, I take the remaining leftovers and throw them way out in the woods or in the water.

Old 09-25-2016, 11:13 PM   #169

I really haven't given this much thought but I think if someone checks out of the campground it is not their site anymore. So I don't get the logic that wood left on a vacated campsite still belongs to the vacated camper.

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
Old 09-25-2016, 11:31 PM   #170

Quote:
Originally Posted by dea49 View Post
I just cut down the largest tree next to my campsite then spend the whole first day cutting it up with a very loud chain saw and log splitter. I then sell it to the campers at just under the price the campground sells it. If anyone tries to come and take some while I'm still occupying the campsite, I chase them away with crossbow. Just before I leave, I take the remaining leftovers and throw them way out in the woods or in the water.

Good for you!
Don't want someone else scrounging that wood.

2007 Surveyor SV230
- 200 Watts Solar/MPPT Controller - 230 AH Battery Bank - 600 watt PSW Inverter - (2) 2000 watt Inverter Generators - LED Lighting - Boon Docking 99% of the time.
2009 F150 - 5.4 Litre - 6 speed - Tow Package
Closed Thread