Closed Thread

Old 09-26-2016, 09:28 AM   #181

Usually bring our own, as we camp in the local/regional area. Sometimes do buy though, for the convenience of it.

As to leaving wood behind, we don't. Around here, the CG hosts will remove whatever is left behind. Probably to re-sell at the camp store. [Joke!] :^)

Old 09-26-2016, 10:00 AM   #182
(Dry Huunday)

I just grab whatever firewood I need from the newest neighbor that pulls in while they go on their first walk after setting up. The price is right and the entertainment value of listening to who gets the blame for forgetting the firewood is hilarious.

Joking people joking

In regards to the OP.....If and that is a big IF I have any left over I will generally ask neighboring sites if they want it or I just leave it for "someone" else to use. I could care less who that "someone" is or what they do with it!

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
Old 09-26-2016, 11:25 AM   #183

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreiHunde View Post

In regards to the OP.....If and that is a big IF I have any left over I will generally ask neighboring sites if they want it or I just leave it for "someone" else to use. I could care less who that "someone" is or what they do with it!
X2

When Boon Docking if where is some wood previously left behind I will take it to my campsite. When I leave my left over wood can got to the next Boon Docker that comes along.

2007 Surveyor SV230
- 200 Watts Solar/MPPT Controller - 230 AH Battery Bank - 600 watt PSW Inverter - (2) 2000 watt Inverter Generators - LED Lighting - Boon Docking 99% of the time.
2009 F150 - 5.4 Litre - 6 speed - Tow Package
Old 09-26-2016, 01:23 PM   #184

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_and_Abby View Post
itat ... not just you.
"Society" is different today, that it was twenty, thirty, forty years ago.
Can't vouch for nowadays, but back when we were in scouting, it was more about skills and leadership than about "social justice" and alternative lifestyles.
POINT BEING ... in Scouting, there was the concept of leaving a "Courtesy Woodpile." You know, leave the campsite better than you found it. At some of the more mature Boy Scout ranches (for those who know what PHILMONT was all about ... ) you would leave enough dry wood, kindling, tinder ... so that the next group of hikers, who like you were a weeks hike from base camp, would be able to get the dinner fire going even if it was pouring rain that day.
These Modern Times, are not by their mere existence an improvement.
/* rant off */
- Jeff
To compare leaving wood for someone who hiked in the mountains for a week to someone who drives right in to their site is apples and oranges.

But....you're right that it was different. I remember when camping meant taking a tent and headed for the mountains. I also remember camping in small campers in the National Forest campgrounds during huntin' season. No electric, no water, no cable hook ups. Fast forward to today where one drives in pulling their $30-$40k camper with their equally expensive truck. Sets up their satellite dish and their keurig and complains if they smell campfire smoke while camping.
Old 09-26-2016, 01:31 PM   #185

Up here we have the Asian Longhorn Beetle. Transporting firewood is a big no no. There are even signs along the highway in places to warn people against transporting firewood.

2016 Coachmen Freedom Express Liberty Edition 310BHDS
2013 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LTZ 6.6L V8 Duramax
Husky weight distribution hitch with sway control
Old 09-26-2016, 01:44 PM   #186

Quote:
Up here we have the Asian Longhorn Beetle
a few of my Canadian friends refer to this bug as "the bug from hell"
Attached Images

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4
Old 09-26-2016, 01:52 PM   #187

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreiHunde View Post
I just grab whatever firewood I need from the newest neighbor that pulls in while they go on their first walk after setting up. The price is right and the entertainment value of listening to who gets the blame for forgetting the firewood is hilarious.:
Thank goodness, I thought I lost my mind when I went to get it out of the camper. Now I know where to place a couple mouse traps next time!
Old 09-26-2016, 01:59 PM   #188

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_and_Abby View Post
itat ... not just you.
"Society" is different today, that it was twenty, thirty, forty years ago.
Can't vouch for nowadays, but back when we were in scouting, it was more about skills and leadership than about "social justice" and alternative lifestyles.
POINT BEING ... in Scouting, there was the concept of leaving a "Courtesy Woodpile." You know, leave the campsite better than you found it. At some of the more mature Boy Scout ranches (for those who know what PHILMONT was all about ... ) you would leave enough dry wood, kindling, tinder ... so that the next group of hikers, who like you were a weeks hike from base camp, would be able to get the dinner fire going even if it was pouring rain that day.
These Modern Times, are not by their mere existence an improvement.
/* rant off */
- Jeff
Scouting has done you well my friend. And it is still taught that same way today in the BSA. Sadly, the enrollment has dropped off, but the scout way is still strong, alive and taught to the lucky boys who discover scouting. Scouts honor.
Old 09-26-2016, 02:19 PM   #189
(Dry Huunday)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still Kickin View Post
Thank goodness, I thought I lost my mind when I went to get it out of the camper. Now I know where to place a couple mouse traps next time!

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
Old 09-26-2016, 06:47 PM   #190

I have walked more than 800 miles on the Appalachian Trail and spent a many night cooking and I have yet to build a campfire. I take a white gas stove, it's far easier and quicker plus you don't have to look firewood. Camping to me is a lot more than building a campfire.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

Closed Thread