Closed Thread

Old 05-17-2016, 09:41 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
Here is another interesting option. Clean, safe won't smoke out neighbors.

Home
Hmmm. Interesting.......but I'm sorta thinking that if I burn those pellets, there better be pig parts above the flames somewhere.............

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
Old 05-17-2016, 09:41 PM   #22

The purpose of the firewood movement bann, is gov'ts answer to limiting the emerald ash bore. As an example NY state issued regulations, one of which says this; For firewood not purchased (i.e. cut from your own property) you must have a Self-Issued Certificate of Origin (PDF, 14.5 KB), and it must be sourced within 50 miles of your destination.

Another words, the gov't (NYS in this example) will not allow you, even if you know, you didn't cut and split Ash, to move ANY wood more than fifty miles to a campsite. Remember, they know best!

Look, if you know your species, be smart and just do what we have always done. If you don't know your species, do what your told. Mama says stupid is as stupid does.

Old 05-17-2016, 09:48 PM   #23

It just as easy to not have to sort out the restrictions and species and just splurge and spend a few bucks and buy what we need onsite. Even though I have a big pile of ash wood in my back yard that yearns to be burned thanks to the emerald ash borer.
Old 05-17-2016, 10:11 PM   #24

Never transported natural wood but would burn an occasional 2x4. With all the restrictions and recent fire bans in the last few years, the family got me a propane fire pit for Christmas. Unless the fire ban is super serious, no more s'mores over the stove.
Old 05-18-2016, 09:11 AM   #25
Fulltime family RVer

For me, it depends on where we're going.

If we can't scrounge fallen wood, I try to scope out firewood just outside of the campground. Usually homeowners are selling some at decent prices nearby. I have a row in the bed of my truck of wood right now for $20.

Otherwise, I've searched Craigslist for the town that I'll be in and have met up with sellers before. You can usually get a decent pile for $20-40 and have plenty to burn.

Funnily enough, I covered a lot of the choices here:
Learn To RV: Firewood Conundrum for the Traveler

I also tried wood pressed logs once. They were a little smokey, but really just lacked that "real wood" fire feel.
Learn To RV: Wood Brick Fuel - first thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightrider View Post
We get small pine skids in at work all the time. So I take them home by the truckload and break them down and de nail them.
Thank you for adding this part. I've had fire pits littered with nails all around it- I always assumed from people burning pallets.
Old 05-18-2016, 09:40 AM   #26

I bring my own wood if the campground allows it.....Otherwise I try to source the wood nearby the campground if I can...I'm not paying crazy prices like over a $1 per piece of wood that some campgrounds I have been to are charging.

2016 Rockwood 2703 Emerald Edition
Old 05-18-2016, 09:50 AM   #27

We will bring our own wood when we go to our usual state campgrounds. When we travel out of state we rarely have campfires as we are too busy so we will buy wood locally at the campground or a nearby grocery store. This also avoids potential issues with state and federal regulations banning the carry of firewood across state lines.
Old 05-18-2016, 09:51 AM   #28

There is wood that you can buy that is certified to take anywhere in the US. I know Menards sells packages of it, and some local firewood suppliers in the Milwaukee area also do. They list it on their website as:

U.S.D.A Certified Kiln Dried Oak Mix Firewood Can be transported anywhere (Certificate Provided). We recommend this wood for the campers and the people that are traveling out of the area. The wood is sterilized and emerald ash borer free.

Life is good...Live it!
(2014) Nights Camped - 16 in 6 trips (2015) Nights Camped - 20 in 6 trips
(2016) Nights Camped - 21 in 7 trips
(2017)16 Night Booked in 4 Trips - 6 in 2 more Trips Planned
Old 05-18-2016, 10:25 AM   #29
Site Team

We haven't bought firewood for years. It seems like every couple of years somebody I know has a tree fall or cut down on their property. I still have wood from a tree I had cut down in my backyard a good 5 years ago.

One time a neighbor was moving and put 3 or 4 good sized boxes of scrap lumber out to the garbage. I grabbed that up real quick.
Old 05-18-2016, 10:33 AM   #30
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
We haven't bought firewood for years. It seems like every couple of years somebody I know has a tree fall or cut down on their property. I still have wood from a tree I had cut down in my backyard a good 5 years ago.

One time a neighbor was moving and put 3 or 4 good sized boxes of scrap lumber out to the garbage. I grabbed that up real quick.
Random fact: that was your 1,000th post.

Closed Thread