Closed Thread
Old 05-18-2016, 10:53 AM   #31
Site Team
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Random fact: that was your 1,000th post.

Old 05-18-2016, 11:38 AM   #32
Little Red Campfire

We use the little red campfire. It's a propane fired Grill-based campfire. Lots cheaper in the long run then firewood in the lot less problematic. They are wonderful.

Old 05-18-2016, 11:52 AM   #33
been using a propane fired fire pit now for 3 or 4 years... I will not go back to a wood campfire because I do not like the smoke... easy on/off whenever you need a fire for cooking or looking at...

mine is not this one, but similar... saw this at Costco the other day... I believe I saw it cheaper then the online price...

Outland 18" Portable Propane Fire Bowl Premium

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 SLT Crew Cab HEMI 3.21 8 Spd 4X4
Old 05-18-2016, 12:02 PM   #34
If I am going short distances (under 3 hours) to camp, I wlll normally bring my own lumber to burn consisting of cut up pallets, 2x4 and 2x6 from neighbourhood construction sites etc. Several years ago, I took apart an old cedar fence in our back yard, I have stockpiled the wood and bring small baskets of it for kindling where ever I go.. On longer trips I only bring the cedar kindling and purchase fire wood locally to the park I am in.
Old 05-18-2016, 01:49 PM   #35
It depends on where we are going. Some areas are restricted and won't let you bring in wood due to caution of importing insect infestations from other areas. Check the park website first. If wood is okay, we just bring scraps from home. Lumber, eucalyptus, whatever firewood we happen to have.
Old 05-18-2016, 03:00 PM   #36

Good info about the propane fire pits, will have to check them out. TY.
In Vermont we can bring wood, but not from out of state. Ridiculous prices at the campgrounds, but we camp with a group, everyone buys a few bundles and we share a single night time camp fire. Someone brings pallets, but they go fast. Have a local source, and am thinking about trying that this year. Hate to lug one more thing though...

New 2016 Coachmen Clipper 17BH
2004 Toyota Tacoma w/new frame thanks to recall
2 years ago - tent 43 degrees one night
last year - pop up - set up in pouring rain
This year newbie TT owner! Eeeehaw!
Old 05-18-2016, 03:21 PM   #37
8' 2x4 from lumber store is under $3 w/ tax. cut into 18" pieces, that's under 60 cents per piece. Stacks nice for transport and less mess, kiln dried and bug free, and legal in places w/ restrictions. Way cheaper than what the camp stores sell, and don't have to worry about wet/green wood. Even better if I have (or can get from someone) scrap from some project...

Edit to add:
This thread reminded me I was low, so went to lowes to get some for this weekend...
$2.35 w. tax. That's < 50c per "log."
Ryan V. B.
2017 FR Wildwood XLite 195BH
2010 F-150 4x4, 4.6L
Old 05-18-2016, 04:07 PM   #38
If the CG is within the distance designated by NYS, I bring. If not, I go out and purchase it locally. I refuse to pay campground prices unless it is an emergency. If they have a policy I do not like, I just don't camp there.
Old 05-18-2016, 07:02 PM   #39

Thank you rvb!!! Never thought of lumber. Makes so much sense...cheaper, stacks nicely, etc. Doin' it!

Stella and Spike
Old 05-18-2016, 08:47 PM   #40
I see the Outland and the Camco Big Red propane fire pits have been mentioned. Has anyone seen both and can comment on which is better (heat output/ambiance)?

Days Camping 2015 - 26 Days
2014 Flagstaff 5th Wheel - 8528IKWS
Built and Flying - Van's Aircraft RV-12
Closed Thread