Closed Thread
Old 05-18-2016, 09:03 PM   #41
We buy the "fake" fire logs when on sale and carry what we need.

Old 05-18-2016, 09:13 PM   #42
Minnesota prohibits moving firewood. Have to buy approved wood local to the campground.

Old 05-18-2016, 09:23 PM   #43
I can only comment on what I saw at Costco (Outland) and what I read online about Camco.

Advantage to Camco in that it packs up into a covered container, whereas Outland does not have a cover.

Advantage to Outland in that it is much larger (18.5 in Vs 13.25 in diameter) and looks (to me) nicer as a campfire substitute. At 58,000 BTU it will put out some heat.

My fire pit is about 24 inches in diameter, (see picture) and includes a locking cover which secures the lava rocks covering the burner from bouncing out when traveling. I bought it at Sams Club several years ago for $90 and have never seen them since. I have used it for heat by putting out the awning and bringing the pit under the awning... the heat circulates a bit under the awning when it is a little cool out. Or you can move it out and warm your fingers and toes as in any other campfire.

Portability is the big plus for any of these systems. I will typically get 4-6 evenings of burn time at maybe 2-3 hours each night depending on flame height on a 20# tank. I frequently use it to cook burgers, dogs or chicken in a grill basket held over the flames... quick and easy to light and extinguish and as close or as far away as you want it.

I would keep my eyes open for something at a big box store or online this summer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	a1.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	108286  

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 SLT Crew Cab HEMI 3.21 8 Spd 4X4
Old 05-18-2016, 09:26 PM   #44
I have great respect for the ban on transporting firewood. I'm told the only reason the ash borer infestation spreads is due to people hauling it as it doesn't really get around on its own. The infestation isn't all that far from me and it is pure nonsense that the problem even exists with the rules that are in place. With what it costs to own a camper and the associated costs of using it, spending some cash on firewood seems like a pretty small expense to me but there will always be some who know better and the bug will get here eventually. Its a only a matter of time.
2004 Wildcat 28BH
2012 Ram 2500 CCSB 6.7CTD
Old 05-18-2016, 10:26 PM   #45
Originally Posted by rvb View Post
8' 2x4 from lumber store is under $3 w/ tax. cut into 18" pieces, that's under 60 cents per piece. Stacks nice for transport and less mess, kiln dried and bug free, and legal in places w/ restrictions. Way cheaper than what the camp stores sell, and don't have to worry about wet/green wood. Even better if I have (or can get from someone) scrap from some project...

Edit to add:
This thread reminded me I was low, so went to lowes to get some for this weekend...
$2.35 w. tax. That's < 50c per "log."
Sorry rvb, when I first read this, I cringed at the thought of cutting a perfectly good 2x4 to use as fire wood. ( No, I am not a tree hugger.)

Then it occurred to me. Lowes and Home Depot often sell their cull lumber (bowed, cracked, or otherwise damaged) for pennies on the dollar. You could probably get your 50c per "log" for 25c. I would even bet you could talk to the manager and get a bigger discount if you purchased the entire cart that is setting there. They don't really want that cart of ugly stuff just setting around. Now we are talking about 10c per "log".

Thanks for the great idea.
Old 05-18-2016, 10:38 PM   #46
I buy from the campground, almost always a state park, the profits go back to the parks for improvement, can't think of a better way to spend money.
Dennis and Julie
2012 Flagstaff 30WFKSS
2006 Chevy Silverado 1500
2002 Chevy Silverado 2500HD
2013 nights reserved/camped 46/71
2014 nights reserved/camped 6/21
Old 05-18-2016, 10:59 PM   #47
Problem with the cheap wood pellets you find in retail stores is that these pellets are often made from reclaimed wood floors and laminates that contain glue. You should not use these pellets to cook over to include roasting marshmallows on an open fire. They are not food grade rated or safe.

Not sure what is wrong with smoke. Isn't that what keeps the mosquitos and bugs away? Can't justify burning a 20lb propane tank in a couple of days.
Old 05-18-2016, 11:01 PM   #48
I carry a Craftsman 19.2V reciprocating saw, w/12" pruning blade, it does a great job of cutting fallen limbs, sticks, ect. for fire wood. Uses the same battery as my drill used to lower the stabilizer jacks, I carry a charger and several extra batteries. Much quieter than cranking up a gas chain saw in a campground(which always gets a lot of attention) and prevents having to buy or carry wood, plus, the cg is just a little cleaner when we leave.

2015 Micro Lite 25KS
2015 F150 CrewCab
days camped: (2014....207) (2015....140) (2016....37, so far)
Old 05-19-2016, 08:28 AM   #49
There's almost always a house under construction near me. I go to the dumpster and cull scraps and bigger pieces to use. I do take real log lumber as well. 2 x 4's aren't romantic, but they burn just like the real stuff. If open fires are prohibited, we use our Little Red Campfire. Of course, it goes without saying to never burn treated lumber.
Old 05-19-2016, 08:57 AM   #50
Professional Curmudgeon
Historically I have carried wood from my home to CG's within the state. Out of state, I purchase wood near the CG. I also carry several Duraflame logs (or similar) so I don't have to mess with kindling, etc. Simply light one "log" and stack the firewood around it. Makes me look like a real fire startin' Boy Scout!
I like the idea of the Lowe's or Home Depot reject bin, and will look into that for our next trip. Several times I've thought about a campfire in a can, but the initial investment is rather off-putting for me.

2014 Coachmen Catalina 253RKS
2016 Keystone Summerland Mini 1750RD
2012 F250 Lariat 6.2L Crew Cab FX4
Reese dual cam SC/WDH
Closed Thread