Closed Thread

Old 05-19-2016, 09:07 AM   #51
ADKROCKS

Some state campgrounds in ny allow local delivery of wood to your campground in half and full face cords. They bring it and stack it for you. It's a great way to get wood to burn. Propane in my opinion is not a campfire

Old 05-19-2016, 09:07 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast murray View Post
I have great respect for the ban on transporting firewood. I'm told the only reason the ash borer infestation spreads is due to people hauling it as it doesn't really get around on its own. The infestation isn't all that far from me and it is pure nonsense that the problem even exists with the rules that are in place. With what it costs to own a camper and the associated costs of using it, spending some cash on firewood seems like a pretty small expense to me but there will always be some who know better and the bug will get here eventually. Its a only a matter of time.

The nonsense of it is at the same time you are being told to not move firewood, by some of the same folks by the way who let the EAB slip into the country to begin with, commercial interests move the same wood on a much greater scale unchecked and none of it is treated. They can move it across state lines, through quarantines, or anywhere else because they have a permit to do so. There is nothing much required to obtain one of those permits. I have over a dozen commercial logging operations / sawmills within a 20 mile radius of my home. Every one of those cuts and splits, then sells firewood that they will deliver wherever you want it. The smaller timber that used to be left to rot in the cut area is now used for firewood. I am in PA and they'll deliver you untreated wood to Ohio, MD, WV, even NY if you paid the delivery. They haul timber back to their mill from some of those states and process it, then haul the finished green lumber, the peeled bark that could contain EAB eggs and larvae, and split wood to who knows where. Ironically where I buy my firewood sells massive amounts to an operation on the other side of the state, where its kiln dried, labeled and bundled, then distributed for sale to convenience store chains. That pest free certified firewood has already traveled 300 miles or more before it was ever treated. I watched the EAB spread into PA in 08/09 and by 13 or so was in every area of the state. I am highly skeptical if any of the movement of it was caused by campers moving firewood. That's the easiest way for government to look like they are doing something. They are not going to strangle the forest product industry. Curiously the PA DCNR has now instituted quarantines for the spotted lanternfly. They just let that into the country (Berks County PA I believe, or near there), a year or two ago, in crates of granite from China.

By the way all you have to do is jump on Craiglist and you can order yourself up as much untreated firewood as you would like delivered to wherever you would like. None of it is treated and no enforcement is done per any of the current rules and regulations.

As far as rules and regulations about 90% of the stuff you read on these firewood threads in RV/camping forums where regulations is concerned is inaccurate. I can legally move firewood anywhere in PA despite people telling me in forums I can not move it more than 50 miles, or over county lines, or at all.

I take my own wood. As far as that is concerned I know the difference between ash and other hardwoods and I seldom see ash in any of the firewood I have been buying .When they stop these commercial operators, sawmills, and the craigslist folks from moving it. maybe I'll consider not moving it myself.

Old 05-19-2016, 10:41 AM   #53

The issues of which wood can be taken where, paying top dollar for stuff that doesn't burn near the campgrounds and me taking more time to build a fire than my daughter will sit near it has led me to this purchase!!!

http://www.amazon.com/Outland-Firebo...opane+fire+pit
Old 05-19-2016, 11:02 AM   #54

How do you get propane to the propane fire pits. Do I have to carry a separate 20# tank? Can I use a 1# portable that I use for my grill? Could I use the propane port on the trailer with an extended hose? Later RJD
Old 05-19-2016, 11:29 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Later RJD View Post
Could I use the propane port on the trailer with an extended hose? Later RJD

Sure could, just need a long enough hose. I have 2 15' hoses with QD's and connect my 3 burner Campchef into the trailer QD. Works on any low pressure item and I'm fairly certain those fire pits are low pressure. Don't buy into the expensive propane rated hoses either. A good quality air hose for a 3rd or better of the price will do the same exact thing with low pressure LPG, and be just as safe. The important thing is good quality and not China Harbor or Ollie's/Big Lots garbage. The gas Nazis will not come after you
Old 05-19-2016, 12:21 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel13 View Post
Propane in my opinion is not a campfire
And in a lot of people's opinions, sleeping in a nice camper with heat\AC and TV is not camping, but to each their own.
Old 05-19-2016, 12:34 PM   #57

I have a designed in Canada Campfire in a Can!

Throws a lot of heat. Has both fire log setting and fancy glass beads as well for the upscale camp look.

It runs low pressure as well. I bought proper gas rated hose and fittings attached for $10 at Goshen RV surplus. I have just used a 20 lb so far. Don't use airhose or anything not rated.

Click image for larger version

Name:	CCINAC.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	162.6 KB
ID:	108332
Old 05-19-2016, 03:39 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by polishdon View Post
And in a lot of people's opinions, sleeping in a nice camper with heat\AC and TV is not camping, but to each their own.
Can't argue that.
Old 05-19-2016, 03:59 PM   #59
itch'n to road trip

We have had a Cap Chef Fire Ring for years and love it.
No fire wood to tote, no smoke, no embers to blow around and catch fire...
Propane last a long time, put off nice heat too.

Even my friend that works for Georgia Dept on Natural Resouces loves it!

http://smile.amazon.com/Camp-Chef-Pr...=sr_1_1&sr=8-1

2012 Ford F-250 King Ranch Super Crew Cab 4x4 "Mae West"
2014 Work & Play 25ULA "Ula"
Paula Drake, Ken Cooksey, Sunny Delight & Valor
Jasper Ga. -
Nights camped Not Enough 2014: 8 2015: 2
Old 05-19-2016, 04:51 PM   #60

Ash borer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast murray View Post
I have great respect for the ban on transporting firewood. I'm told the only reason the ash borer infestation spreads is due to people hauling it as it doesn't really get around on its own. The infestation isn't all that far from me and it is pure nonsense that the problem even exists with the rules that are in place. With what it costs to own a camper and the associated costs of using it, spending some cash on firewood seems like a pretty small expense to me but there will always be some who know better and the bug will get here eventually. Its a only a matter of time.
A friend of mine is a botanist and mentioned to me that the Emerald ash borer infestation follows a pattern. And that pattern was NASCAR races. Isn't that interesting?