Closed Thread

Old 05-19-2016, 04:53 PM   #61

Tru dat

Quote:
Originally Posted by polishdon View Post
And in a lot of people's opinions, sleeping in a nice camper with heat\AC and TV is not camping, but to each their own.
I've been camping for over 45 years and in that time I've done my share of tent camping throughout the United States. So we may not call it camping but I'm sticking to the trailer at this point. And I've had my share of fires as well. The propane fire is just fine now. That's what makes America great.

Old 05-19-2016, 05:17 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
Many states prohibit bringing in firewood from out of state due to destructive bugs in wood.

And they told you, the pest know where the state lines are. I bring all the wood I need for the outing and have never, never been asked about it.

Old 05-19-2016, 05:27 PM   #63
Site Team

For Maryland here is the official policy:
The Maryland Association of Campgrounds and the Maryland Department of Natural Resources’ Forest and Park Service have joined forces in taking active measures in the State’s effort to stop the spread of the emerald ash borer by introducing a new policy designed to prevent campers and other visitors from bringing outside firewood into campgrounds. Our members are notifying campers of the restriction at the time of reservation. Only firewood purchased on location may be used.

Any and all firewood transported into a campground from any source outside will be required to be burned immediately upon arrival at the campsite. This must be done in a safe manner while abiding by applicable campfire rules and regulations. Any such firewood may not be unloaded from any vehicle unless the firewood is placed directly on the fire.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 65W solar panels
Old 05-19-2016, 05:51 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
For Maryland here is the official policy:
The Maryland Association of Campgrounds and the Maryland Department of Natural Resources’ Forest and Park Service have joined forces in taking active measures in the State’s effort to stop the spread of the emerald ash borer by introducing a new policy designed to prevent campers and other visitors from bringing outside firewood into campgrounds. Our members are notifying campers of the restriction at the time of reservation. Only firewood purchased on location may be used.

Any and all firewood transported into a campground from any source outside will be required to be burned immediately upon arrival at the campsite. This must be done in a safe manner while abiding by applicable campfire rules and regulations. Any such firewood may not be unloaded from any vehicle unless the firewood is placed directly on the fire.
The problem I see with the MD policy (policy not law or regulation) is the MD Association of campgrounds has to be in love with it. Thats an association of private campgrounds and RV parks. They are forcing you to buy firewood "on site" no matter what the quality of it is, or price. According to that official policy you can not bring your own wood even if it carries the USDA APHIS certification as treated and pest free. Having been a past resident of MD nothing they come up with in that state surprises me. Once when checking in to Deep Creek state park campground a few years ago they, the MD DNR, were invading peoples privacy by demanding to search your vehicles and coolers. We canceled the reservation, as did a few others in line, on the spot, and went south to Blackwater Falls in WV luckily getting a site. That was the end of our MD camping so whatever they do is of no concern here.

Pa uses an approach based on common sense. Now that the EAB has already infested the entire state just as it has done in MD, they relaxed the quarantines so you can move firewood within the state.
Old 05-19-2016, 08:44 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired JSO View Post
And they told you, the pest know where the state lines are. I bring all the wood I need for the outing and have never, never been asked about it.
I can't say anything about bugs but the coyotes just over the county line from where I live must know its there. The wildlife folks I've talked to swear up and down coyotes are in the next county over but I couldn't have seen any cross my property as they aren't in my county yet.
Old 05-19-2016, 08:59 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Havercamp View Post
Curiously the PA DCNR has now instituted quarantines for the spotted lanternfly. They just let that into the country (Berks County PA I believe, or near there), a year or two ago, in crates of granite from China.
This quarantine was the joke of the year last year as far as I'm concerned. There was something here or there in the papers months after it came out. Nothing was mailed, no attempts made to notify the general population. I got my info ahead of time from Lancaster Farming Newspaper, as they are super current with anything AG related. I am in the new section of quarantine area of Montgomery County, I've gone to one of the public meetings about the Lanternfly. I asked about the lack of notification, and was told that the fliers were made and ready to mail, but because Harrisburg couldn't pass a budget they were just sitting there waiting. Just got a flier in the mail this week. That meeting was back in early October..........

I used to take wood everywhere. I burn wood for heat at the house and always have lots on hand. I have tons of ash, but the only wood I ever take camping is cedar. My property is covered in it and its not a good indoor burning wood. This weekend is the first I'm going without wood with intentions to buy it local. We'll see what happens but that outlander propane pit is really tempting me....................
2016 Nights camped 5
Old 05-20-2016, 05:11 AM   #67

We don't take firewood or buy it local I see no need to have a camp fire I hate for my camper and clothes and skin to stink from the smoke
Old 05-20-2016, 07:23 AM   #68

My 2 cents worth, There's a $2500.00 fine in Virginia for bringing in wood to any state park outside of your immediate area. Also had Ranger question me about pallet wood as it is not kiln dried to kill the bugs/eggs. Better to buy from park.
Old 05-20-2016, 08:16 AM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobaloo View Post
My 2 cents worth, There's a $2500.00 fine in Virginia for bringing in wood to any state park outside of your immediate area. Also had Ranger question me about pallet wood as it is not kiln dried to kill the bugs/eggs. Better to buy from park.

What part of Virginia are you in ? And what is considered the immediate area? We have a lot of split poplar that we bring to the state parks and haven't been questioned. ..yet.

2016 F250 2WD CC SB XLT 6.2 3.73 3,295 lb payload cap.
2014 Salem Hemisphere 282RK 8k lbs loaded, Equal-i-zer WDH, TST 507 TPMS
2016: 38 nights camped
Old 05-20-2016, 08:58 AM   #70

We are in Fredericksburg area, check on the State Park's website. It's confusing what areas are off quarantined but it appears the Rangers want none brought in from outside.

Closed Thread