Closed Thread
Old 05-20-2016, 09:04 AM   #71
I had to go look up Florida rules. According to the state site, you CANNOT bring firewood into the state, but they only RECOMMEND using local firewood at camp if it comes from witin the state. Aside from that, it's do as you please. Fancy that.

Old 05-20-2016, 09:25 AM   #72
Here in Florida and up the coast into Georgia, they were worried about a wood borer that threatened the Red Bay Tree. Apparently after further study, they decided the bugs had world wide passports and they migrated on there own just like our lovely stinky luv bug. It's so relaxed here, they are allowing transporting wood between Florida Alabama and Georgia to power plants and wood pellet manufacturing plants. All of the wood harvested from a large road project here was either taken to Alachua Fl to a power plant or to Waycross, GA to be made into fuel pellets then shipped to Europe.

Old 05-20-2016, 09:35 AM   #73

Good tip about the Duroflame logs as a fire starter. I read somewhere to save dryer lint, put it in an egg carton, drip candle wax on it, then cut and use to start your fire. So, am saving the lint to give it a try. Anyone use this method?
Old 05-20-2016, 09:57 AM   #74
Ha! Funny you mention that. Just made some the other day.
2015 puma 295bhss
2009 ram 3500 6.7l ctd
Old 05-20-2016, 10:00 AM   #75
Now that we're in the subject of starting fires, has anyone used the 'upside down' method.? It realty works well.
David and Vicki
5 year old Springer rescues Sydney and Piper
2013 Silverado LTZ Crew Cab Duramax/Allison stock "Big Red"
2016 Dutchmen Denali 287RE "The Dog House"
Eaz Lift WDH w/ Blue Ox 2 1/2" trunion
Old 05-20-2016, 10:12 AM   #76
Originally Posted by stellaandspike View Post
Good tip about the Duroflame logs as a fire starter. I read somewhere to save dryer lint, put it in an egg carton, drip candle wax on it, then cut and use to start your fire. So, am saving the lint to give it a try. Anyone use this method?
Lots of ideas in this thread

Fire Starter Tip
2014 Chevy 2500 CC, Duramax
2017 Wolf Pack 25pack12 Toyhauler
Old 05-20-2016, 10:37 AM   #77

Click on the state you're staying in and read the specific regulations.

What You Can Do | Don't Move Firewood
"Next to prayer, fishing is the most personal relationship of man"Calvin Coolidge
"American by Birth, Southern by the Grace of God"Lewis Grizzard

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
Old 05-20-2016, 10:38 AM   #78
In my not so humble opinion?
I hate when neighboring campers burn
It stinks,smokes and frankly it's not great for you to breath,not to mention you reek like a contestant on Naked and Afraid in the RV
I actually get physically sick smelling the acrid smoke
When I burn,I burn Hard wood,but honestly I use the Gas fire pit almost always now.(friends like a wood fire,so the 3/4 times we go group,I bring the hard wood)
When it's time for bed,I shut it down,put on the lid and go to bed.
Last trip,the neighbors burned crappy rotten wet pine that smoked so bad we smelled it even with the windows closed and air on.Then they went in and this thing started flaming up 4 feet from my left front tire unattended.
Folks please use common sense and be courteous.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
I never saw a Hearse towing a Trailer
'71 Dads VW camper pop up Van
'93 Coleman pop ups (I'm Dad)
'04 Fleetwood Jamboree 26q
'14 Sunseeker 2860DS
Old 05-20-2016, 10:40 AM   #79
Not really a how to start a fire idea, but how to get a fire going. Back in the 1970's we had a travel trailer. One weekend at the Meramec State Park in Missouri, I noticed our neighbor trying to start a fire in the fire pit. After watching him tear up several of his kids comic books and assorted other material to get the fire going, I went over to talk to him. It seemed like the state park always had green, wet wood for the campers to buy and of course this wood would be almost impossible to burn.
I introduced myself and offered to share an old Indian trick to build a fire. I said I would be right back and returned a few minutes later with a fan turned on low to blow on the slow smoky fire. Instant fire! Told my new friend that an old Indian taught me that. {Much like fanning the fire}
We became good friends and our families camped together for many years until he passed away years later.
Old 05-20-2016, 10:50 AM   #80
If you want your Neighbors to enjoy your campfire also.
Get some untreated mahogany scraps from a wood shop and toss them into your fire!
People will come over an say "wow that really smells nice!"

Closed Thread