Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 05-19-2016, 04:53 PM   #61

Tru dat

Quote:
Originally Posted by polishdon View Post
And in a lot of people's opinions, sleeping in a nice camper with heat\AC and TV is not camping, but to each their own.
I've been camping for over 45 years and in that time I've done my share of tent camping throughout the United States. So we may not call it camping but I'm sticking to the trailer at this point. And I've had my share of fires as well. The propane fire is just fine now. That's what makes America great.
Old 05-19-2016, 05:17 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
Many states prohibit bringing in firewood from out of state due to destructive bugs in wood.

And they told you, the pest know where the state lines are. I bring all the wood I need for the outing and have never, never been asked about it.
Old 05-19-2016, 05:27 PM   #63
Site Team

For Maryland here is the official policy:
The Maryland Association of Campgrounds and the Maryland Department of Natural Resources’ Forest and Park Service have joined forces in taking active measures in the State’s effort to stop the spread of the emerald ash borer by introducing a new policy designed to prevent campers and other visitors from bringing outside firewood into campgrounds. Our members are notifying campers of the restriction at the time of reservation. Only firewood purchased on location may be used.

Any and all firewood transported into a campground from any source outside will be required to be burned immediately upon arrival at the campsite. This must be done in a safe manner while abiding by applicable campfire rules and regulations. Any such firewood may not be unloaded from any vehicle unless the firewood is placed directly on the fire.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Old 05-19-2016, 05:51 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
For Maryland here is the official policy:
The Maryland Association of Campgrounds and the Maryland Department of Natural Resources’ Forest and Park Service have joined forces in taking active measures in the State’s effort to stop the spread of the emerald ash borer by introducing a new policy designed to prevent campers and other visitors from bringing outside firewood into campgrounds. Our members are notifying campers of the restriction at the time of reservation. Only firewood purchased on location may be used.

Any and all firewood transported into a campground from any source outside will be required to be burned immediately upon arrival at the campsite. This must be done in a safe manner while abiding by applicable campfire rules and regulations. Any such firewood may not be unloaded from any vehicle unless the firewood is placed directly on the fire.
The problem I see with the MD policy (policy not law or regulation) is the MD Association of campgrounds has to be in love with it. Thats an association of private campgrounds and RV parks. They are forcing you to buy firewood "on site" no matter what the quality of it is, or price. According to that official policy you can not bring your own wood even if it carries the USDA APHIS certification as treated and pest free. Having been a past resident of MD nothing they come up with in that state surprises me. Once when checking in to Deep Creek state park campground a few years ago they, the MD DNR, were invading peoples privacy by demanding to search your vehicles and coolers. We canceled the reservation, as did a few others in line, on the spot, and went south to Blackwater Falls in WV luckily getting a site. That was the end of our MD camping so whatever they do is of no concern here.

Pa uses an approach based on common sense. Now that the EAB has already infested the entire state just as it has done in MD, they relaxed the quarantines so you can move firewood within the state.
Old 05-19-2016, 08:44 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired JSO View Post
And they told you, the pest know where the state lines are. I bring all the wood I need for the outing and have never, never been asked about it.
I can't say anything about bugs but the coyotes just over the county line from where I live must know its there. The wildlife folks I've talked to swear up and down coyotes are in the next county over but I couldn't have seen any cross my property as they aren't in my county yet.
Old 05-19-2016, 08:59 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Havercamp View Post
Curiously the PA DCNR has now instituted quarantines for the spotted lanternfly. They just let that into the country (Berks County PA I believe, or near there), a year or two ago, in crates of granite from China.
This quarantine was the joke of the year last year as far as I'm concerned. There was something here or there in the papers months after it came out. Nothing was mailed, no attempts made to notify the general population. I got my info ahead of time from Lancaster Farming Newspaper, as they are super current with anything AG related. I am in the new section of quarantine area of Montgomery County, I've gone to one of the public meetings about the Lanternfly. I asked about the lack of notification, and was told that the fliers were made and ready to mail, but because Harrisburg couldn't pass a budget they were just sitting there waiting. Just got a flier in the mail this week. That meeting was back in early October..........

I used to take wood everywhere. I burn wood for heat at the house and always have lots on hand. I have tons of ash, but the only wood I ever take camping is cedar. My property is covered in it and its not a good indoor burning wood. This weekend is the first I'm going without wood with intentions to buy it local. We'll see what happens but that outlander propane pit is really tempting me....................
2016 Nights camped 5
Old 05-20-2016, 05:11 AM   #67

We don't take firewood or buy it local I see no need to have a camp fire I hate for my camper and clothes and skin to stink from the smoke
Old 05-20-2016, 07:23 AM   #68

My 2 cents worth, There's a $2500.00 fine in Virginia for bringing in wood to any state park outside of your immediate area. Also had Ranger question me about pallet wood as it is not kiln dried to kill the bugs/eggs. Better to buy from park.
Tony & Catnis, campin' kitties
Old 05-20-2016, 08:16 AM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobaloo View Post
My 2 cents worth, There's a $2500.00 fine in Virginia for bringing in wood to any state park outside of your immediate area. Also had Ranger question me about pallet wood as it is not kiln dried to kill the bugs/eggs. Better to buy from park.

What part of Virginia are you in ? And what is considered the immediate area? We have a lot of split poplar that we bring to the state parks and haven't been questioned. ..yet.

2016 F250 2WD CC SB XLT 6.2 3,295 lb payload cap.
2014 Salem Hemisphere 282RK 8k lbs loaded, Equal-i-zer WDH, TST 507 TPMS
2021: 35 nights already booked so far
Old 05-20-2016, 08:58 AM   #70

We are in Fredericksburg area, check on the State Park's website. It's confusing what areas are off quarantined but it appears the Rangers want none brought in from outside.
Tony & Catnis, campin' kitties
Old 05-20-2016, 09:04 AM   #71

I had to go look up Florida rules. According to the state site, you CANNOT bring firewood into the state, but they only RECOMMEND using local firewood at camp if it comes from witin the state. Aside from that, it's do as you please. Fancy that.
Old 05-20-2016, 09:25 AM   #72

Here in Florida and up the coast into Georgia, they were worried about a wood borer that threatened the Red Bay Tree. Apparently after further study, they decided the bugs had world wide passports and they migrated on there own just like our lovely stinky luv bug. It's so relaxed here, they are allowing transporting wood between Florida Alabama and Georgia to power plants and wood pellet manufacturing plants. All of the wood harvested from a large road project here was either taken to Alachua Fl to a power plant or to Waycross, GA to be made into fuel pellets then shipped to Europe.
Old 05-20-2016, 09:35 AM   #73

Firewood/Starter

Good tip about the Duroflame logs as a fire starter. I read somewhere to save dryer lint, put it in an egg carton, drip candle wax on it, then cut and use to start your fire. So, am saving the lint to give it a try. Anyone use this method?
Old 05-20-2016, 09:57 AM   #74

Ha! Funny you mention that. Just made some the other day.
Old 05-20-2016, 10:00 AM   #75

Now that we're in the subject of starting fires, has anyone used the 'upside down' method.? It realty works well.
2023 GDRV Reflection 150 226RK
Old 05-20-2016, 10:12 AM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellaandspike View Post
Good tip about the Duroflame logs as a fire starter. I read somewhere to save dryer lint, put it in an egg carton, drip candle wax on it, then cut and use to start your fire. So, am saving the lint to give it a try. Anyone use this method?
Lots of ideas in this thread

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ip-107291.html

No camper, currently
Old 05-20-2016, 10:37 AM   #77

Here:

Click on the state you're staying in and read the specific regulations.

What You Can Do | Don't Move Firewood

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
Old 05-20-2016, 10:38 AM   #78

In my not so humble opinion?
I hate when neighboring campers burn
PINE
Why?
It stinks,smokes and frankly it's not great for you to breath,not to mention you reek like a contestant on Naked and Afraid in the RV
I actually get physically sick smelling the acrid smoke
When I burn,I burn Hard wood,but honestly I use the Gas fire pit almost always now.(friends like a wood fire,so the 3/4 times we go group,I bring the hard wood)
When it's time for bed,I shut it down,put on the lid and go to bed.
Last trip,the neighbors burned crappy rotten wet pine that smoked so bad we smelled it even with the windows closed and air on.Then they went in and this thing started flaming up 4 feet from my left front tire unattended.
Folks please use common sense and be courteous.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
'93 Coleman pop ups (I'm Dad)
'04 Fleetwood Jamboree 26q
'14 Sunseeker 2860DS
Old 05-20-2016, 10:40 AM   #79

Not really a how to start a fire idea, but how to get a fire going. Back in the 1970's we had a travel trailer. One weekend at the Meramec State Park in Missouri, I noticed our neighbor trying to start a fire in the fire pit. After watching him tear up several of his kids comic books and assorted other material to get the fire going, I went over to talk to him. It seemed like the state park always had green, wet wood for the campers to buy and of course this wood would be almost impossible to burn.
I introduced myself and offered to share an old Indian trick to build a fire. I said I would be right back and returned a few minutes later with a fan turned on low to blow on the slow smoky fire. Instant fire! Told my new friend that an old Indian taught me that. {Much like fanning the fire}
We became good friends and our families camped together for many years until he passed away years later.
Old 05-20-2016, 10:50 AM   #80

If you want your Neighbors to enjoy your campfire also.
Get some untreated mahogany scraps from a wood shop and toss them into your fire!
People will come over an say "wow that really smells nice!"

Rhody
Closed Thread