Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 09-26-2016, 09:28 AM   #181

Usually bring our own, as we camp in the local/regional area. Sometimes do buy though, for the convenience of it.

As to leaving wood behind, we don't. Around here, the CG hosts will remove whatever is left behind. Probably to re-sell at the camp store. [Joke!] :^)
Tekonsha Prodigy P2 Brake Control
Old 09-26-2016, 10:00 AM   #182
(Dry Huunday)

I just grab whatever firewood I need from the newest neighbor that pulls in while they go on their first walk after setting up. The price is right and the entertainment value of listening to who gets the blame for forgetting the firewood is hilarious.

Joking people joking

In regards to the OP.....If and that is a big IF I have any left over I will generally ask neighboring sites if they want it or I just leave it for "someone" else to use. I could care less who that "someone" is or what they do with it!

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
Old 09-26-2016, 11:25 AM   #183

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreiHunde View Post

In regards to the OP.....If and that is a big IF I have any left over I will generally ask neighboring sites if they want it or I just leave it for "someone" else to use. I could care less who that "someone" is or what they do with it!
X2

When Boon Docking if where is some wood previously left behind I will take it to my campsite. When I leave my left over wood can got to the next Boon Docker that comes along.

2007 Surveyor SV230
- 200 Watts Solar/MPPT Controller - 220 AH Battery Bank (Two-GC2) - 600 watt PSW Inverter - (2) 2000 watt Inverter Generators - LED Lighting
2009 F150 - 5.4 Litre with Tow Package

Boon Docking 99% of the time.
Old 09-26-2016, 01:23 PM   #184

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_and_Abby View Post
itat ... not just you.
"Society" is different today, that it was twenty, thirty, forty years ago.
Can't vouch for nowadays, but back when we were in scouting, it was more about skills and leadership than about "social justice" and alternative lifestyles.
POINT BEING ... in Scouting, there was the concept of leaving a "Courtesy Woodpile." You know, leave the campsite better than you found it. At some of the more mature Boy Scout ranches (for those who know what PHILMONT was all about ... ) you would leave enough dry wood, kindling, tinder ... so that the next group of hikers, who like you were a weeks hike from base camp, would be able to get the dinner fire going even if it was pouring rain that day.
These Modern Times, are not by their mere existence an improvement.
/* rant off */
- Jeff
To compare leaving wood for someone who hiked in the mountains for a week to someone who drives right in to their site is apples and oranges.

But....you're right that it was different. I remember when camping meant taking a tent and headed for the mountains. I also remember camping in small campers in the National Forest campgrounds during huntin' season. No electric, no water, no cable hook ups. Fast forward to today where one drives in pulling their $30-$40k camper with their equally expensive truck. Sets up their satellite dish and their keurig and complains if they smell campfire smoke while camping.
Old 09-26-2016, 01:31 PM   #185
Insert witty title here

Up here we have the Asian Longhorn Beetle. Transporting firewood is a big no no. There are even signs along the highway in places to warn people against transporting firewood.

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
Old 09-26-2016, 01:44 PM   #186

Quote:
Up here we have the Asian Longhorn Beetle
a few of my Canadian friends refer to this bug as "the bug from hell"
Attached Images

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
Old 09-26-2016, 01:52 PM   #187

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreiHunde View Post
I just grab whatever firewood I need from the newest neighbor that pulls in while they go on their first walk after setting up. The price is right and the entertainment value of listening to who gets the blame for forgetting the firewood is hilarious.:
Thank goodness, I thought I lost my mind when I went to get it out of the camper. Now I know where to place a couple mouse traps next time!
Old 09-26-2016, 01:59 PM   #188

Quote:
itat ... not just you.
"Society" is different today, that it was twenty, thirty, forty years ago.
Can't vouch for nowadays, but back when we were in scouting, it was more about skills and leadership than about "social justice" and alternative lifestyles.
POINT BEING ... in Scouting, there was the concept of leaving a "Courtesy Woodpile." You know, leave the campsite better than you found it. At some of the more mature Boy Scout ranches (for those who know what PHILMONT was all about ... ) you would leave enough dry wood, kindling, tinder ... so that the next group of hikers, who like you were a weeks hike from base camp, would be able to get the dinner fire going even if it was pouring rain that day.
These Modern Times, are not by their mere existence an improvement.
/* rant off */
- Jeff
Scouting has done you well my friend. And it is still taught that same way today in the BSA. Sadly, the enrollment has dropped off, but the scout way is still strong, alive and taught to the lucky boys who discover scouting. Scouts honor.
Old 09-26-2016, 02:19 PM   #189
(Dry Huunday)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still Kickin View Post
Thank goodness, I thought I lost my mind when I went to get it out of the camper. Now I know where to place a couple mouse traps next time!

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
Old 09-26-2016, 06:47 PM   #190

I have walked more than 800 miles on the Appalachian Trail and spent a many night cooking and I have yet to build a campfire. I take a white gas stove, it's far easier and quicker plus you don't have to look firewood. Camping to me is a lot more than building a campfire.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 09-26-2016, 07:57 PM   #191

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
I have walked more than 800 miles on the Appalachian Trail and spent a many night cooking and I have yet to build a campfire. I take a white gas stove, it's far easier and quicker plus you don't have to look firewood. Camping to me is a lot more than building a campfire.

I agree that a Svea stove or grasshopper butane stove is ideal for backpacking, solo bicycle touring, kayak touring, and survival situations. The small, efficient stove warms your tea, freeze-dried meals, and oatmeal. In these situations the self-propelled travel is what the entire trip is about; the joy of enjoying nature through the endorphin-altered state of self-powered mobility.

But, at the top of this page it says "Forest River Forums". While backpackers, bicycle tourists, kayak tourists, and climbers will certainly be on these pages, the primary topic is utilizing the recreational vehicles manufactured by Forest River. Efficiency at altitude, manic obsession over grams of weight, environmental considerations of white gas vs butane vs propane is not an issue here. Forest River products are primarily used by families, and wood fire experiences are a great part of that experience.

By the way, go to forestriver.com and look at the 2016 brochure for the Rockwood ultralight tralers currently manufactured. The cover shows a campfire in front of a camper with two chairs and a beautiful background. Why? Forest River knows that is what sells campers; the experience of enjoying family and friends around a campfire while seeing and enjoying beautiful views of our countryside after a day of recreation. A wood campfire; not a propane, white gas, electric, pellet, manufactured wax, charcoal, nor candle. A wood campfire serves as the focal point for fellowship among the majority of Forest River purchasers.
Old 09-26-2016, 08:22 PM   #192

I think this thread is just one of the many reasons why this forum is so great. The discovery of so many different opinions among our group while remaining fairly civil and respectful of each other. I've been on (and left) other fora where this was not the case!

I was a scout, too (regrettably left before making Eagle), and I think camping and other outdoor pursuits, and the personal skills they require like frugality, ingenuity, etc., make campers in general a pretty great group of people, along with the fact that we leave wood for those who come after, whether that's meant to include only those who occupy your site or an expanded viewpoint to include anyone who can use it.

Glad to be a part of this brother-/sisterhood! Many happy camping experiences to everyone whether you like wood fires or not!
Old 09-26-2016, 09:59 PM   #193

I was an Eagle Scout myself and I could tell great stores of my adventures, the main reason I like camping with just the necessities. Just too old to sleep on the ground anymore.

I very rarely use the propane stove in the camper, except to make my morning coffee and maybe toss a couple eggs and bacon. Everything else is cooked on a fire burned down to coals....

Finally, nothing beats a good steak (or a cheap one) grilled on a wood fire burned down to coals, or burgers for that matter.

They are even good when they fall off the grate and drop in the coals....lol

My wife and I kicked around getting a motor home or a pull trailer but because we like to boondock, neither work for us. Can't get a motorhome out in the boonies and can't pull a trailer down a fire road or seasonal road, well maybe one time and then it becomes a summer home because the axles get torn off...

My wife (and I) like the security of a camper with a door and sleeping off the ground but we don't need ac or sat tv or all that luxury stuff. We have that at home. The truck camper also affords us a good night's sleep without mosquitoes or black flies eating their dinner as we sleep...

Going to bed and listening to the crickets and an ocasional screech owl and having it dark (as in you cannot see your hand in front of your face) and getting up an hearing the birds chirping (without any sounds of children or other campers milling about) is hard to beat. We have never stayed in a campground (except going to horse shows), I don't like them. If I wanted that, I'd live in the city. I live in the boonies as well. I farm.

I wouldn't even have a sine wave generator except I sleep on a CPAP machine and it's hard on the house battery when the sine wave inverter is running all night so the genny is there to keep the house battery charged. It never runs when we sleep. Don't like the sound.

Different strokes for different folks....
Old 09-27-2016, 06:57 AM   #194

I think the reason that campgrounds have signs up that say you can't use firewood from home is to sell more of there firewood. I was Bar Harbor last week and I saw camp wood so much I thought it was a campground.

Old 09-27-2016, 07:38 AM   #195

In my neck of the woods we figure people leave wood behind because they are not interested in packing it home ... thus the harvesting of wood left behind is common whether we burn it on site or pack it up and use it for another camping trip. It's just the luck of the draw on who grabs it up first.
Old 09-27-2016, 07:54 AM   #196

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still Kickin View Post
Scouting has done you well my friend. And it is still taught that same way today in the BSA. Sadly, the enrollment has dropped off, but the scout way is still strong, alive and taught to the lucky boys who discover scouting. Scouts honor.
I was a Scoutmaster for 10 years and retired from it last year. When our troop rolls into an area we cut and stack wood and leave it for the next group in a neat stack. It doesn't matter WHAT campsite. The scouting experience does teach good wood/camp ethics. At a campground, I will buy wood. Or it is rainy I put our propane pit under the awning and veg out. I will leave wood behind but I don't care who gets it and never really thought about it. I still won't. If am into a camp and have not yet acquired wood I will look around to see if there is some left behind to get me going. I don't count on it and I certainly don't look down on people who use wood like this.

Marty
Old 09-27-2016, 09:44 AM   #197

Location: Minnesota ( wishing we were boondocking in the New York Catskills )
Random thoughts ...
1. Wood is a crop.
2. It is sadly laughable that the government can screw up firewood.
- Jeff
Old 09-27-2016, 10:22 AM   #198

Quote:
Random thoughts ...
1. Wood is a crop.
2. It is sadly laughable that the government can screw up firewood.
- Jeff
After watching the debate I can understand how the gov screws up most things. It also appears it gonna get worse!!! 😂
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
Old 09-27-2016, 10:29 AM   #199

Location: Minnesota ( wishing we were boondocking in the New York Catskills )
"Normally" we try to avoid political discussion ...

But we ARE firm believers in the TWO PARTY SYSTEM ...

Two Parties, Every Night!

Jeff and Abby
Fur Babies - Xandra Sophia (GSD) and Neo (Min-Pin Mutt who thinks he is a cat)
2015 Tracer Air 235 (previous 1994 Veri-Lite 1130 TC)
1998 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab - 360 - 46RE (Built)
Old 09-27-2016, 10:38 AM   #200

Exactly. I have no problem with someone gathering leftover firewood but dont take it home. Leave it for someone who can use it tonight.
Troy, Josie and our 2 K9 co-pilots Breck and Maggie
USN 86-92
3 nights camped so far in 2020
Closed Thread