Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-14-2017, 07:31 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by kandl View Post
Received the Firman earlier this week. First unit shipped had a boo-boo so Costco immediately shipped a replacement. Pretty impressed thus far in. Generator starts with just half a tug on the starter cord - every time. No issues with the choke setup. Starts our 13.5K AC from Eco Mode without even so much as a burp. Time will tell but I'll be quite happy if it continues to perform like this.
Same here starts with half a pull and runs my air/lights on eco mode. We were in Montana the other day overnight camping in Walmart, 35C started the Firman and let it run all night till it ran out of gas. My guess is it ran for 7 hours because the trailer was still cool when I woke up in the morning.

2017 Saber 330CK
2014 F250 Lariat 4x4 Diesel 6.7L
BigBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 01:44 PM   #42

Glad to hear some positive replies. It's run everything so far so in econo. Haven't used much on the ac as it's been fairly cool here in Ontario. But so far I'm impressed and happy with my purchase. Keep the real first hand experiences coming. Positive or negative so we can see what we have on our hands.
Grey Wolf 22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 04:34 PM   #43
Site Team

Glad to hear good report. My new champion 3100 inverter starts easy with remote and electric start but takes several full pulls to start with cord. You did good.

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 08:10 AM   #44

The only time it doesn't start first pull is if I turn gas off and let it run or almost run out before switching off. Then when I go to start and turn on gas it has to prime is my guess. Fires on second pull after line fills with gas. Taking trailer to my sons baseball tourney tomorrow as it is a long day with lots of time between games so will run the trailer off the firman for a good test. Ac, fridge etc.
Old 07-29-2017, 07:57 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBay View Post
Not for my wallet and I have a great generator to boot
No, you have a generator that is ALMOST as good as a Honda. To each his own, of course, but there is a reason Hondas and Yamahas to some extent are the gold standard when it comes to generators.
RangeMaggotBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 08:08 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey Wolf 22 View Post
Well like I said in my first post, I was just looking for anyone's REAL experience with a firman and I didn't want a battle of Honda vs everything else. It seems people are as loyal to there gennys as they are to their truck brand or trailer brand. Thanks to those that gave input on the generator. To everyone else happy Canada day and Fourth of July to our American neighbours next weekend.
I totally understand what you're saying. Trouble is, any time you mention generators on an RV forum, it turns into battle of the gennys. And I'm to blame as much as anybody. Champion this and Champion that compared to other generators, blah blah blah. Hopefully you got enough feedback to make a decision. If it's half-way quiet enough, you'll be a happy camper!
Old 07-30-2017, 04:39 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdst51 View Post
No, you have a generator that is ALMOST as good as a Honda. To each his own, of course, but there is a reason Hondas and Yamahas to some extent are the gold standard when it comes to generators.
The only reason Honda and Yamaha are the "Gold" standard is the price. Consumers have been led to believe if it costs more then it must be better, not the case here.

2017 Saber 330CK
2014 F250 Lariat 4x4 Diesel 6.7L
BigBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 06:43 AM   #48
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 510Rick View Post
To the OP glad you found a sound generator that fits your needs .

To the Honda haters just stop it would ya lol. We all can tell your mad your generators not Red

BTW if mine didn't pretty much come with the trailer I be buying a Firman or a Champion myself so dont be flamin me lol

The fact that the Firman website isn't up and running yet kinda bothers me though.
Well mine is red and not a Honda and has better running watts And not made in China. Later RJD
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	img_4405.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	314.7 KB
ID:	146515  
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 07:55 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey Wolf 22 View Post
The only time it doesn't start first pull is if I turn gas off and let it run or almost run out before switching off. Then when I go to start and turn on gas it has to prime is my guess. Fires on second pull after line fills with gas. Taking trailer to my sons baseball tourney tomorrow as it is a long day with lots of time between games so will run the trailer off the firman for a good test. Ac, fridge etc.

Well ran it for several hours. Only needed ac at the beginning and then temp was nice. Only mid 20's up here. Around 80f. Ran fridge, lights, water pump and tv. Let it run in the box of the truck with tonneau open. Did what I needed and quietly. Was nice having a cool place to rest, make some sandwiches and relax between games. And also have our own clean washroom instead of porta potty!

So far so good with this purchase. And the boys team came in second. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0168.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	716.5 KB
ID:	146518
Old 12-18-2017, 12:38 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangeMaggotBob View Post
Do you know where most generators are actually manufactured? A Chinese Corporation called
Sinomoch produces most of the generators on the market today.

http://www.sinomach.com.cn/en/Produc...513_60356.html

They manufacture names such as Generac, Ridgid, Champion, Firman, Predator, Yamaha, kholer and probably even Honda. I have a Firman and my neighbor has a Champion, when opened up they are exactly the same and when purchased at Costco, if I ever have a problem, I’ll just return it. Honda and Yamaha used to be a gold standard before Sinomoch started building them all, now they are just a ridiculously overpriced name.
Firewrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 12:46 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firewrench View Post
Do you know where most generators are actually manufactured? A Chinese Corporation called

China National Machinery Industry Corporation

They manufacture names such as Generac, Ridgid, Champion, Firman, Predator, Yamaha, kholer and probably even Honda. I have a Firman and my neighbor has a Champion, when opened up they are exactly the same and when purchased at Costco, if I ever have a problem, I’ll just return it. Honda and Yamaha used to be a gold standard before Sinomoch started building them all, now they are just a ridiculously overpriced name.
Lots of speculation and assumption here! Went down to Honda dealer a few weeks ago. Some Honda generators are made in Thailand, some in Japan. But you can believe what you want, and probably find an internet statement to prove it. And saying that all generators are created equally is something a friend keeps telling me when he buys a new knock off generator about every year
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 12:53 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
Lots of speculation and assumption here! Went down to Honda dealer a few weeks ago. Some Honda generators are made in Thailand, some in Japan. But you can believe what you want, and probably find an internet statement to prove it. And saying that all generators are created equally is something a friend keeps telling me when he buys a new knock off generator about every year
Not looking to start the never ending generator argument, it was a simple statement to help someone with thier decision on a purchase.

Please see for yourself

I said probably even Honda, the others I mentioned are for sure.
Firewrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 03:24 AM   #53
Just a member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firewrench View Post
Yep... and Firman is Sinomoch:

About Us – Firman Power Equipment

They need to pull up their pants and fix their website. It's been "Under Construction" for waaaay too long.

kandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 04:56 AM   #54
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceinspp View Post
Well mine is red and not a Honda and has better running watts And not made in China. Later RJD
your Boliy IS made in China. only the microprocessor is made in Germany.
everything else is Chinese.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 03:42 PM   #55

Lot of things are made in china and depending on the standards or specs the products can be good or bad. Really depends on the market (price point) a manufacturer is aiming for. At $800 it's certainly not the low end and not the high either. It seems like a decent value and if it's lasts 10 years I'm still ahead other than the inconvenience of finding a replacement.

Grey Wolf 22 - Any updates? I've been eye balling one of these myself with remote start so no going outside. Will it run a 15K BTU AC unit?
TwoMile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 03:13 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoMile View Post
Grey Wolf 22 - Any updates? I've been eye balling one of these myself with remote start so no going outside. Will it run a 15K BTU AC unit?
A 15K BTU unit should draw near 3KW on startup, while pulling under 2KW constant. 13.5KBTU is more like 2.7KW and 1.7KW, respectively.

I just a few minutes ago ordered the Firman W03083 off of Amazon. I don't think it'll be here until after the 1st, but I'm looking forward to it. As of right now we have a 7KW (9KW peak) Champion generator from Costco that is great, but weights over 400lb, is LOUD LOUD LOUD, but has remote start. Now I'll no longer have to use a 30' extension cord to put the generator at least 50' from the trailer. Nor will I need help loading the generator in the toy hauler. Nor will I have to squeeze it between the wall and the RZR. Nor will I use 10 gallons of gas on a 4 day camping trip.

I did some research on these Firman gens, and I think it'll be a good buy. Once I get it, I can provide some details.
Old 12-22-2017, 02:51 AM   #57

[QUOTE=Firewrench;1690044]Do you know where most generators are actually manufactured? A Chinese Corporation called

They manufacture names such as Generac, Ridgid, Champion, Firman, Predator, Yamaha, kholer and probably even Honda. QUOTE]

Probably. You gotta love it. It's always probably, almost, just as quiet as, almost as light, just as red as, blah blah blah.
Old 12-22-2017, 03:17 AM   #58
Just a member

Quote:
Will it run a 15K BTU AC unit?
I'm thinking it would. The Firman will start our 13.5K Coleman-Mach from standby with additional loads at play. Dometic ACs are power hogs so could be iffy in that regard. Most assuredly would work with a hard start capacitor kit installed.

kandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 03:40 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
Sounds like your friend is buying Chinese generators.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 06:56 AM   #60

Quote:
Lot of things are made in china and depending on the standards or specs the products can be good or bad. Really depends on the market (price point) a manufacturer is aiming for. At $800 it's certainly not the low end and not the high either. It seems like a decent value and if it's lasts 10 years I'm still ahead other than the inconvenience of finding a replacement.

Been away from the forum for a while as it’s a typical Canadian winter and camping is far from my mind. The generator has been great. No problems. Runs the trailer good. Also used it during some power outages at the house. Even starts in the cold but not first pull. But hey, it’s -20 so I don’t expect it too. Will keep updated when camping season returns.

Dave.

Tags
generator, inverter