Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-25-2010, 07:44 PM   #1

First and final trip 2010

Well we got our TT in early November and we traveled to Branson today.

Everything went pretty well , other then the water being shut off here, had a little snafu with water pump but emptypockets help us out with some really good advice thanks Everett!!!

We had a little accident with the trailer wire to truck conection, well lets say it is almost in two pieces, well have to do a little repair before heading home on Monday.

I do have a question though we had some creaking when stopping some and turning, took anti sway off and no creak....

am I doing something wrong?

2009 F150 SCREW4x4 Prodigy P3 and tow package Valley WDH and dual anti sway
2006 Party Barge 21 90 Merc Optimax
2011 RockWood 2702 SS arrived 11.10.2010
nights camped 2010 6
threegr8katz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 07:52 PM   #2
Infractee

I am not familiar with your WDH but our Equal-i-zer makes a lot of groan/creeking when turning. It is normal and they make items to lessen the noises. I would check with your manufacturer to see if they have a remedy.
On ours, the bars are what make the noise as they rub on the L brackets ( which is what generates the friction as well)
RhoZeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 08:10 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by threegr8katz View Post
I do have a question though we had some creaking when stopping some and turning, took anti sway off and no creak....

am I doing something wrong?

Welcome to the noisy world of an integrated WDH and sway control !!! Other bumper pull trailer owners don't even bother to look up from their chores when I enter a campground......they know it is just another bumper pull camper pulling in. But people on the street will still give me the evil eye.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 08:18 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnguy View Post
Welcome to the noisy world of an integrated WDH and sway control !!! Other bumper pull trailer owners don't even bother to look up from their chores when I enter a campground......they know it is just another bumper pull camper pulling in. But people on the street will still give me the evil eye.
X2
I just smile and wave!
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 08:30 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by grhodes50 View Post
X2
I just smile and wave!
X3
One thing about the noise, it will get there attention and they will keep an eye out on you and most of the time they will freeze in there steps just to see what happens.
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 12:31 PM   #6

x4
the guy next door still comes over to tell us that it should not make that noise, "it must be hooked up wrong, let me take a look at it for you", he don't think you need any sway control with a truck as big as mine, the sway must be the driver.
Old 11-27-2010, 12:46 PM   #7

I had the same squeaking noise on my 2nd to 3rd outing with the TT. The paint worn off the L bars that goes into the hitch. I just keep some grease handy & lightly lube the friction points. Now the trailer is quiet as I make the campground turns & back-in. Has ever since. Sometimes alittle popping of the chains if I had to get into a tight spot.
Battlefield, Missouri
F.R.O.G. Member
1st International F.R.O.G. Rally Branson Missouri
JohnandPandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 04:28 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnandPandra View Post
I had the same squeaking noise on my 2nd to 3rd outing with the TT. The paint worn off the L bars that goes into the hitch. I just keep some grease handy & lightly lube the friction points. Now the trailer is quiet as I make the campground turns & back-in. Has ever since. Sometimes alittle popping of the chains if I had to get into a tight spot.
What kinda WDH do you use ?? I don't think grease is recommended for Reese at the dual cams or Equalizer at the friction pads.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 06:51 PM   #9

Here's another idea that you can use to help quiet down the Equal-i-zer.

Sway Bracket Jacket (pair) - RVWholesalers.com RV Parts

Here's what they say about lubricating the L-Brackets.

ATTENTION: Utilizing lubrication on the Equal-i-zer L-Bracket, in the form of the Sway Bracket Jacket or any grease type lubricant, will likely lessen or decrease your sway control by a small degree. Steel on steel is the highest level of friction, steel on lubricated steel second, and steel on plastic third (but also the cleanest). The hitch head can be lubricated, as per the instructions, with no detriment to sway control.
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 08:00 PM   #10

I have an Husky WDH, with a Eaz-lift sway control. Does a real good job with our Rockwood. We've had very little wiggle getting passed by semi's or really windy days. I've read on the other forums how others had problems, but none here.
Battlefield, Missouri
F.R.O.G. Member
1st International F.R.O.G. Rally Branson Missouri
JohnandPandra is offline   Reply With Quote