Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-22-2014, 07:30 PM   #1

First Class C and need advise-tips for long trips

We just purchased our first Class C Sunseeker 3010dsf. We had a pull behind before and always did the local state parks. Now we're planing to do out of state traveling and camping and I'm concerned about alott of stuff really like being able to find overnight camping spots along the way just to stay the night during the course of our trips and also finding refuel spots that a sutable for RVs....I guess truck stops?? of course we plan to use rest stops to pull into for lunch and breaks but I assume no overnight stays or is that allowed? Are there RV publications that help in planing trips....Rv parks to stay in overnight....location of truck stops along the route??? stuff like that. The Rv does have gps navagation system.

Appreciate any advise for this newbee Class C owner.
humblegoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 07:49 PM   #2
Average Joe

I have the allstays app. It lists a lot of places to stop. We've stayed at Flying J's when in a pinch. The are RV friendly.

Southern Maryland and Beyond!

MrJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 08:35 PM   #3

We stop at Walmart stores in the south. Most are RV friendly. We gas up there, buy supplies and eat. Just park out of the way, no slides out. I think they like the business.
Mike001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 09:27 PM   #4

Send a message via AIM to King Yankee Send a message via Yahoo to King Yankee
you'll be fine, just get use to driving it on interstates, 55/60mph). so many apps to help with all your questions (truckstops, walmarts, rv parks, naviagation, etc. and a great book called NEXT EXIT.
Welcome, good luck & happy travels.

Lexington GTS 300 S/S
Chevy Avalanche
Jeep Wrangler
Honda Goldwing
King Yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 11:08 PM   #5

I have three apps for my iPhone that are a must. "next exit" will tell you what is at every exit coming up - campgrounds, restaurants, fuel, etc. "rest areas" give me the mileage to the rest areas ahead and there is a special app for Walmart that will tell you which ones allow rv's overnight. Been across the country this past summer for a 6 woks vacation and they were worth having.
Sbryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 11:54 PM   #6

We use RV Park Reviews to plan out our overnight stays

Reviews of RV Parks and Campgrounds - RV Park Reviews

And plan out fuel stops every 200 miles +/- at Love's and Walmarts

Love's Home

Every once in a while we will stay at a Walmart but it isn't our first choice

http://www.allstays.com/c/wal-mart-locations.htm

We do like mid day stops at Walmart because they normally have clean bathroom facilities at the front of the stores and you can walk around for awhile and stock up on food supplies - plus their fuel is usually the lowest price but normally not the easiest to get a long RV in and out of the pump. Not a good place for a long 5er.

Old 01-24-2014, 01:37 AM   #7

You'll be fine ~ after all, that's the joy of being self contained There are lots of gas stations that are tall enough, etc to handle your rig and you'll become good at maneuvering quite quickly. I didn't see where you're from, but your dealer may offer classes in driving your rv that will give some new insights that may be helpful (in our area, LazyDays offers these) I understand the group Escapees has lots of good info to offer as well.

Happy Travels
Old 01-27-2014, 02:42 PM   #8

Congrats on the new rig! You'll be fine at most gas stations, just always keep in mind the height of your rig and if you have any tail swing. The rear of the C may swing out about 2ft. opposite the way you are turning. Class C's usually have a short wheel base which will make it more maneuverable but it also will create the swing. Watch your mirrors and you'll be fine. Most Interstate rest areas allow for overnight parking, you will know for sure if you see semi's parked there. Always park with your entry door "towards" the busier side of the parking area, security wise. If the lot is packed with trucks, I have parked my class A in the areas marked for cars, albeit at the rear area as far away from the comfort station or restaurant as possible. They're almost always empty at night anyways. Another good app is RV Parky. Seems fast loading and accurate with information on near by campgrounds, Wal Marts and rest stops. Enjoy the freedom of hauling down the highway totally self contained and at your or your Mrs.'s finger tips, you'll have a blast! Good Luck and share your adventurers.
Kia Sportage on MasterTow Dolly
sherman12 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
class c