Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-11-2007, 09:30 PM   #1
Cyber Phrenologist

First Impressions

OK, for some reason the powers that be chose to make me a moderator. Let me tell you what I think. (First off, it's sort of like being hit by a meteor on you way out to the mailbox...WHAP!!....ouch, why me??)

[SOAPBOX MODE=ON]

Out side of work and family I only have two social interests, one is my church and the other is my amateur radio group. What they have in common is that they are both actively looking for new people to join and become involved in both. And they are both largely populated by some of the nicest folk you ever met.

When I'm at church, I/we keep out eye peeled looking for that new face that seems just a bit out of place. This my be the first and last time that person ever comes to our (or any other) church. I/we make it a point to make that person feel welcome and at home. "Can we help you get the kids setled in the nursery?" or "Would you like to come to my Sunday School class? We have coffe and doughnuts!"

We do this because we know eternity may hang in the balance for that person and we only get one chance to make a first impression.

In our amateur radio group we self-police our repeater system (it's like a chat room or forum, except on the radio) because thousands of would-be ham-ops are out there listening via scanners. They hear what we say. We know that someone has a budding interest in radio, and all we need to do is encourage them a bit. We don't need to say something ugly, stupid or mean (offensive) because we also know...we only have one chance to make a first impression.

Which brings me to my point: There are right now thousands of people who are interested in taking their families to the outdoors, or at least Ft. Wilderness, who are searching the internet for information. They are vicariously camping with us, changing flat Carlise tires with us, haggling the RV dealer with us, sitting aound the campfire with us, upgrading the water pump with us. Desiring one day to be us.

And then, once in a while, we get all eat up with the desire to be a smart-@ss, to win the argument at all cost, to throw manners in the blacktank and d@mmit all, we have free speech here and we'll just shove our opinions down each others virtual throat!!

And the young couple sharing the laptop on the couch thinks to themselves "Do I really want to spend all that money just to park next to a bunch of jerks all weekend? I think not..." So now their two kids sleeping upstairs will never have the memory of going to the Grand Canyon in a Class C.

So while we enjoy (or plan to enjoy) the RV pasttime, and we share with each other about flat tires, blacktanks, state parks, campfires, chiggers and last weekend in the mountains, let's not forget...we are making that first impression on many people as they pass through our forum. And we only have one chance. Let's not embarass ourselves.

Let's make them want to share a campfire with us.

[SOAPBOX MODE=OFF]

Radio
Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 11:24 PM   #2
The Jolly Mon

Send a message via Yahoo to NDJollyMon
Nicely said...and so true. We form a lot of first impressions in life...make them positive.

2018 Wildwood Grand Lodge 42 DLTS
-Seasonal Space, Northern MN.
-2017 Sylvan 8522 LZ LES/115 Merc/Sea Legs
NDJollyMon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 01:56 AM   #3

Could NOT AGREE MORE, again nicely said. and WE are standing right next to you. We as a forum only get that one "1st impression" chance. so lets make it the best we can. WE all love to camp and enjoy the RV of our choice. to enjoy the freedoms we all have thanks to those who have and will serve in the armed forces for us. WE should take every opportunity we have to travel and see the spectacular sites and wonders of the world.
Thank you for stepping up as a moderator, and your efforts to keep this forum a Family forum and a wealth of Knowledge for those who search it.
2005 Kawasaki 700 4x4 ATV
2002 Kawasaki 300 4x4 ATV
2008 Chinese 110CC kids atv

4 Great Kids......
and a wonderful wife of 12 yrs now.....
Could not ask for more
Young Travelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 12:28 PM   #4

Thank you so much for this post.

Guess you earned the days pay as a moderator.

LOL Thanks as this is excellent, We must all remeber our firts impressions as guest stop in.

Mike
MRimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 01:27 PM   #5
Cyber Phrenologist

So I few more of these and I can order the 8280SS ?
Old 10-12-2007, 01:40 PM   #6

Sure we can order you the brochure for one my friend.

Where shall we send it?

LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio View Post
So I few more of these and I can order the 8280SS ?
Old 10-12-2007, 06:20 PM   #7

Send a message via MSN to welshman599
Outside of feeling a little creeped out at the thought of all these invisible people near me, I wholeheatedly agree, and feel a touch ashamed at recognizing myself as one of those whose conversations in the past could have added to that ol' jerk description.

I took my family to an awesome 4th of July celebration at an airport just outside Norfolk Va in 1991, just after the gulf war. A couple of hundred thousand people there and as you can imagine, the military presence was huge. It was their day in a big way! The Anheuser Busch presence was also huge, having flown in Bud by the C5 full. Anyway we were sitting on the tarmac waiting for the fireworks and a group of young US soldiers were about 10 feet away enjoying themselves. One young man was a little loud and using a touch of profanity - nothing horrible really - we heard the others hush him, saying 'Hey man, cool it, we have company." We should be always that courteous.

The word Camper describes a whole world of people, all ages, colors, creeds and religions, but they share a love of this recreation, this lifestyle. I'm so pleased to see the likes of Vic & Leslie and Young Travellers join us, just as Mike's mom-in-law wants to join them so soon after losing her husband who also loved to camp. I think this is what is really meant by 'family values'.

So I for one will remember that this is our little campfire, and there is always a chair or two available for anyone to join us. We'll all make room so we share the warmth and the conversation.

But bring your own beverage... we're not THAT nice.

83 sweet sweet days camped in 2008 - not easy in my neck of the woods!
welshman599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 08:04 PM   #8

I had a first impression once.

then I lost it
aintgotnun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 08:20 PM   #9

Quote from Welshman

"The word Camper describes a whole world of people, all ages, colors, creeds and religions, but they share a love of this recreation, this lifestyle. I'm so pleased to see the likes of Vic & Leslie and Young Travellers join us, just as Mike's mom-in-law wants to join them so soon after losing her husband who also loved to camp. I think this is what is really meant by 'family values'. "

Man this puts a smile on my face. Glen (Dad) will be with us next week. Now to tell the truth. The new tires were paid for by mom. Glen (Dad) had just sold his truck a few weeks before he got sick and we were trying to help him buy a new one. He wanted a new truck and I told him I would help him with the note as they were on a fixed income. Mom wanted the money left in his wallet to be spent on the trailer as they loved camping so much and she said "He would want this on the camper" So we got new goodies on the camper in memory of my best friend and father in law.

So thanks for my smiles tonight.

Mike
Old 09-09-2010, 01:44 PM   #10
Cyber Phrenologist

Recent circumstances on Forest River Forums cause me to revisit this post I started 3 years ago.

I bring it to the groups attention for your kind consideration.

Old 09-09-2010, 01:48 PM   #11
Jan Goldfield

Well writ, Radio. What you said three years ago is just as true today. Maybe moreso.

2009 Cherokee Grey Wolf 28BH
2009 Ford 150
pondlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 02:41 PM   #12

You could cut the PC tension in here with a knife. lol

Sometimes it drives me nuts. If someone even remotely trys to debate something it seems to be taken as trouble and it won't be tolerated? Debating stuff is how you learn. It's all good though.

I am a member of no less than about 20 different boards over the last 15 years and this one is definitely unique.

First impressions? Anyone I have peeved off in here now, I would go have a beer with tonight (or beverage of thier choice). Growing older with internet boards has always tought me you don't take this too seriously. My point is, just because you might disagree with someone over a computer doesn't mean they aren't the nicest person on earth when met face to face.

My .02

Sorry for rambling on. Just taking a break from packing up. Gonna hit the road in the morning.
2006 Sierra F28 Rear Kitchen 5th Wheel, 31' = 10k pounds.
Nights camped in 09-14, 2010-23
Mr. Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 03:14 PM   #13
The Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Black View Post
Anyone I have peeved off in here now, I would go have a beer with tonight (or beverage of thier choice). Growing older with internet boards has always tought me you don't take this too seriously.
Unless you're a Notre Dame football fan. A man's gotta draw the line somewhere.

Still to go: AK, NL, NT, NU, YT
Willis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 03:38 PM   #14
Cyber Phrenologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Black View Post
You could cut the PC tension in here with a knife. lol

My .02

Sorry for rambling on. Just taking a break from packing up. Gonna hit the road in the morning.
I don't deal well with PC.

The elimination of PC and replacement thereof with common sense, self restraint and old fashioned hospitality is precisely the point. Well, perhaps not of the original post, but of regurgitating it at this point.

Enjoy the trip