Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-18-2014, 09:13 PM   #21

Regular valve position

Name:   Summer Position.jpg
Views: 435
Size:  21.9 KB

Winterize valve position

Name:   Winter Position.jpg
Views: 200
Size:  20.7 KB
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 09:35 PM   #22

ok, this RV is situated semi permanently on private land, we are getting our electric and water from a neighbor via AC cord and white hose. For the last 24 hours I have had the power to the water heater turned on, so I'm feeling fairly certain I've damaged the heating element for lack of water. In addition I'm guessing the unit has been trying to start for this whole period. Would this have used up a 30lb LP tank OR did the dealership lie to me about giving me 2 full 30lb tanks?

Reason I'm asking is cause I'm sitting inside it right now, it's cold and blustery out and when I called for a little heat, all I got was cool air blowing out of the vents. This was not happening for the last 24 hours, whenever I called for heat I got heat. I tested the stove to see if I had propane and I got nothing. Went outside flipped the switch to the other LP tank and voila, I get heat.

So did I burn through a 30lb tank, or did the dealership lie to me?
devilonmyback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 10:13 PM   #23
Professional Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilonmyback View Post
ok, this RV is situated semi permanently on private land, we are getting our electric and water from a neighbor via AC cord and white hose. For the last 24 hours I have had the power to the water heater turned on, so I'm feeling fairly certain I've damaged the heating element for lack of water. In addition I'm guessing the unit has been trying to start for this whole period. Would this have used up a 30lb LP tank OR did the dealership lie to me about giving me 2 full 30lb tanks?

Reason I'm asking is cause I'm sitting inside it right now, it's cold and blustery out and when I called for a little heat, all I got was cool air blowing out of the vents. This was not happening for the last 24 hours, whenever I called for heat I got heat. I tested the stove to see if I had propane and I got nothing. Went outside flipped the switch to the other LP tank and voila, I get heat.

So did I burn through a 30lb tank, or did the dealership lie to me?
That is more than you should have burned with the furnace in one night. Was the Water Heater burning propane all night too?

TexasBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 10:23 PM   #24

devilonmyback,

I am so sorry you are having this experience. It is obvious that the RV dealer, like so many out there, has basically sold you a unit and left you to fend for yourself

Yes, you should be aggressive and tell the dealer about your experience and demand that they will do the right thing and fix your hot water heater.

Please keep us posted on your progress and let us know what else is going on and if you need any other advice or tips with your new RV.
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 10:43 PM   #25

I doubt a used 2004 unit would have a (DSI elect W/H).If it was trying to (Heat on propane) with NO water in it one would (Smell) this real quick! The use of 30# propane tank is Very possible while using the Furnace and hard telling how much this (Dealer?) used before delivery! Put the Anode rod in turn the B/P valves the proper way,turn on the propane and light the Pilot. Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 11:05 PM   #26

Also keep a digital camera handy to shoot a few pics to show us campers what your situation is.

People here are very helpful and a picture is worth a thousand words here!

BTW what camper do you have?

Sorry for troubles.
Lynkage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 06:44 AM   #27

Heating elements are U-shaped with a connection on the end to attach power.an anode rod does not have any connections to attach wiring.

Sent from my VS840 4G using Forest River Forums mobile app
Old 05-19-2014, 07:27 AM   #28

Is your camper an 2004? If so I too doubt you have an electric side to the water heater our 2006 Puma was gas only. If so you probably have not hurt anything by the water not being in the tank.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 11:54 AM   #29
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilonmyback View Post
Why wouldn't the dealership explain this stuff to a stone cold newbie? I'm stunned.
unfortunately, many dealers will breeze throught the PDI if the customer doesn't demand a complete and thorough PDI.
and many newbies don't do much research on RV's and end up not knowing what they need to ask or what they need to the dealer to show them.

as a customer, you shouldn't accept delivery, if you feel that the PDI was inadequate.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 12:55 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
Is your camper an 2004? If so I too doubt you have an electric side to the water heater our 2006 Puma was gas only. If so you probably have not hurt anything by the water not being in the tank.

Do gas only heaters have anode rods? I guess they do from what I just read.
Evereddie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags