Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-18-2014, 04:37 PM   #1

first night questions from newbie

Ok, last night was our first night in our 27' cherokee, and I have many questions, can anyone please help?

Our water supply is coming from a hose and we are not running off the onboard tank.

1 we had no hot water even though the switch was in the on position; nothing. I read the instructions and cut off the propane, killed the electric, waited and then restarted the propane and electric. One thing, while looking in the compartment where the hot water "guts" are, the burner etc, I found that the hot water heater element had been removed and laid aside, it was covered in scale and practically useless.

From what I understand when we get our water from a outside supply and not from the onboard tank, the water should go directly to the water heater and be heated up and delivered to our faucets. What does it mean that I found the water heater element outside the water heater and obviously not doing anything? Is this element necessary to heat my water, regardless of what source my water is coming from? ie; external hose vs onboard water tank?

Thanks
devilonmyback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 04:52 PM   #2

Pictures if you can will help....
Yamaha 3000iseb generator:Progressive Ind. EMS-HW30C : Eastern Ontario
Nights Camped: 2014 (18) 2015 (18) 2016 (36) 2017 (32) 2018 (42) 2019 (28) 2020 (35)
fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 04:53 PM   #3
Professional Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilonmyback View Post
Ok, last night was our first night in our 27' cherokee, and I have many questions, can anyone please help?

Our water supply is coming from a hose and we are not running off the onboard tank.

1 we had no hot water even though the switch was in the on position; nothing. I read the instructions and cut off the propane, killed the electric, waited and then restarted the propane and electric. One thing, while looking in the compartment where the hot water "guts" are, the burner etc, I found that the hot water heater element had been removed and laid aside, it was covered in scale and practically useless.

From what I understand when we get our water from a outside supply and not from the onboard tank, the water should go directly to the water heater and be heated up and delivered to our faucets. What does it mean that I found the water heater element outside the water heater and obviously not doing anything? Is this element necessary to heat my water, regardless of what source my water is coming from? ie; external hose vs onboard water tank?

Thanks
Did the "element" look like a rod covered with scale and have a hex head with threads on one end?

TexasBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 04:54 PM   #4

That sounds like it's not the heater element but the plug been pulled and your water heater tank is put in by pass.. Has this unit been dewinterized. Cause that what its sounds like Someone drained the system to winterize..
Old 05-18-2014, 05:33 PM   #5

Pics would help but as before has your trailer been dewinterized?????

The scaly rod could be the plug to empty the tank to winterize??? Is it near the bottom of the tank??

Are the by pass valves on the back of the water heater (inside the trailer) open or closed?

If the tank is empty do not use the electric side as you will burn out the element.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 05:38 PM   #6

Is this what you found?

Old 05-18-2014, 08:01 PM   #7

that is exactly what I found laid aside inside the compartment
Old 05-18-2014, 08:04 PM   #8

the unit had been winterized, I bought it from a dealership and they just delivered it, none of this was explained to me during the walkthrough or delivery.
Old 05-18-2014, 08:08 PM   #9

this is what my compartment looks like with the element resting at the bottom of the compartment
Old 05-18-2014, 08:15 PM   #10

What you found is the sacrificial anode rod, not the heating element. It needs to be reinstalled into the water heater but be careful to get the threads liked up correctly. Did your dealer explain anything to you? If not IMHO they should send a service tech out and go through all the systems with you.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 08:17 PM   #11
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Since water isn't pouring out of your water heater tank, the valves are turned in such a way as to bypass your heater altogether. Put the anode rod back in, take the heater out of bypass mode, and turn water back on. Water heater should light. Unfortunately, you may have burnt the electric heating element by turning on the electric with a dry tank.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 08:18 PM   #12

ok, then why the hell don't I have any hot water, and what does the anode rod do, since it looks just like a heating element I've replaced in household electric hot water heaters.
Old 05-18-2014, 08:26 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaMan View Post
Since water isn't pouring out of your water heater tank, the valves are turned in such a way as to bypass your heater altogether. Put the anode rod back in, take the heater out of bypass mode, and turn water back on. Water heater should light. Unfortunately, you may have burnt the electric heating element by turning on the electric with a dry tank.
ok, what does putting the cruddy looking anode rod back in do if anything? Secondly how does one take the heater "out of bypass mode" And yes I was trying to run this thing without water, so I MAY have burnt the element.

Why wouldn't the dealership explain this stuff to a stone cold newbie? I'm stunned.
Old 05-18-2014, 08:31 PM   #14

the tank is in bypass mode there should be two lines turn the valves open the one that connects the two turn in the off position. The anode rod keeps mineral deposits away from the tank they attach to the rod once the rod gets down just replace it . your tank should run for many years. also if the electric switch was on all night it might have burn the element up. but should still light off gas..
Old 05-18-2014, 08:35 PM   #15

The anode rod is meant to be sacrificial so the hard water attacks it and not ur tank. A lot easier to replace a 10 dollar rod then a whole hot water heater.

If you turned on the electric to the hot water heater and no water in it you most likely fried the element and will be looking for a new one.

And look in relation to where the water heater is but on the inside of the trailer. There may be a blank off plate you need to take off and spin a valve or two. They use the bypass mode so you don't fill the water heater while winterizing.

You need to go back to the dealer and ask for your pdi. This should of all
Been explained and demonstrated for
You!
Todouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 08:35 PM   #16
DW's 401(k) Plan

develonmyback....
Try watching this video.....

"Sunny" the 2017 Sunseeker 3010DS
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
.... and lovin' life........MOST of the time.
DaGrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 08:36 PM   #17

not sure if you can get you tube but if so they are some great videos to walk you thru it .. step by step. I would for sure call your dealer have them walk you thru your camper step by step you can get a what they call a PDI list off of the forum that will help you make sure they cover everything..
Old 05-18-2014, 08:39 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilonmyback View Post
ok, then why the hell don't I have any hot water, and what does the anode rod do, since it looks just like a heating element I've replaced in household electric hot water heaters.
The water might be running out of that big hole the anode rod goes into!
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 08:49 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiscampsin View Post
The water might be running out of that big hole the anode rod goes into!
ok water was not pouring out of the hole the anode rod goes into. I have stuck my head inside the hot water enclosure inside the bathroom, and I truly don't know what I'm looking at. I have a little sense of the system, but not enough to figure this out without assistance. I'm going to watch the youtube video now and call the dealership in the AM and give them so sh..
Old 05-18-2014, 09:06 PM   #20

you should have three valves in there if not and you have an outside compartment next to the water heater check there two should be turned cross ways of the lines and one turned in line with the line. just turn all the three opposite of what they are now. A good idea also would be when you get home is setup camper in the driveway and hookup power water. setup everything just like you would if your camping. checkout everything. from air to furnace. Its know fun going having something fail when your there at the campsite. It will make you camping fun. Alot easier to fix something at home then at the CG.. Hope you get it fixed..

Tags