Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-19-2008, 07:54 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

First Outing

Well it finally got warm enough here in Minnesota to dare to de-winterize the new travel trailer. We still had frost warnings last night! The trailer pulled very nicely; not a hint of sway etc. But I'll have to say that these things pull hard. The truck handled it fine enough but you definitely know that there is significant weight back there. Wind resistance seems to be the big culprit on fuel mileage. We were able to tow easily in overdrive on the way to the park with a tailwind; getting 12 mpg. On the way back into the wind, not a chance of using overdrive and more like 9.5 mpg. (I have a ScanGuage that is great for monitoring numerous readings). I experimented with different speeds;(into the wind) 55 mph = 9.5 mpg, 60 mph = 9.0 mpg, and 65 mph = 8.0 mpg (yikes!). Cylinder head temps and trans temps were within a couple of degrees of normal; rather surprising given the load. So, outside of the fuel mileage, the truck seemed unfazed.

The Surveyor was great; everything worked as it was supposed to work; even the Concertone kept working! Hopefully that experience will continue. It surely is a comfortable unit. We had never had a bathroom or holding tanks before so were wondering how that was going to go. The Internet research seemed to pay off. We used Pure Power natural treatment and "The Sewer Solution". What an awesome combination! Dumping could not have been easier or cleaner.
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 09:24 AM   #2

Congrats! It sure feels good to try out new toys!

We took our first of the season this past weekend also. Just like falling off a log getting back into the swing of things. We hiked, biked, kayaked, & napped in the sun. Nice mini-vacation to ramp up the camping season!
Grand Surveyor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 10:45 AM   #3
The Jolly Mon

Send a message via Yahoo to NDJollyMon
You'll just have to camp whichever way the wind blows!
Congrats!

PS...I de-winterized at the beginning of month up here. It got down into the teens a few times, but no problems. It takes a pretty good freeze to cause trouble with anything. (except for the outside hose/spigot)

2018 Wildwood Grand Lodge 42 DLTS
-Seasonal Space, Northern MN.
-2017 Sylvan 8522 LZ LES/115 Merc/Sea Legs
NDJollyMon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 11:16 AM   #4
Site Team

We de-winterized 6 weeks ago.
My wife promptly broke her leg so we're stuck home ;-((
Send us a trip report.
We love to hear about other folk's adventures.
(Especially since we're not having any of our own right now......)
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 11:55 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Grand Surveyor

I think we'll be somewhat near your area Memorial weekend. I'm in a Cajun band and we are playing for the Wheatland festival near Remus.
Old 05-19-2008, 12:12 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by acadianbob View Post
I think we'll be somewhat near your area Memorial weekend. I'm in a Cajun band and we are playing for the Wheatland festival near Remus.

Close - Remus is 65 miles NE of Grand Rapids. We'll be in Interlochen enjoying a 4-day weekend.

Have a blast with the band! Post some video for the FRF group!
Old 05-20-2008, 08:19 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Band Website

Here is the web site for our band if you are interested or curious

www.newriversideramblers.com
Old 05-20-2008, 09:33 AM   #8
The Jolly Mon

Send a message via Yahoo to NDJollyMon
I like your sound. Have you played at any Parrothead parties around Minneapolis???

2018 Wildwood Grand Lodge 42 DLTS
-Seasonal Space, Northern MN.
-2017 Sylvan 8522 LZ LES/115 Merc/Sea Legs
NDJollyMon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 09:26 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

NRR NDJolly

Thanks! We play mostly at Half Time Rec in St. Paul, Eagles Club in Mpls, and The Cedar Cultural Center for our dances. In the summer, we play various festivals etc.
Old 05-20-2008, 10:56 PM   #10

acadianbob

I am a cajun from south Louisiana and my wife and I do a lot of cajun dancing. I listened to some of your mp3 songs and I don't believe you live in Minnesota. As good as ya'll sound, you must be living is south Louisiana. Why do you claim you are from Minnesota?

Walt Boudreaux
wboudx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 08:07 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by wboudx View Post
acadianbob

I am a cajun from south Louisiana and my wife and I do a lot of cajun dancing. I listened to some of your mp3 songs and I don't believe you live in Minnesota. As good as ya'll sound, you must be living is south Louisiana. Why do you claim you are from Minnesota?

Walt Boudreaux
Could be where they washed up from the storm.
Old 05-27-2008, 10:53 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Well we must have gotten confused and wound up on the wrong end of the Mississippi. Seriously, we are all from Minnesota. Thanks for the compliment. We feel our sound is rather authentic and competitive in quality to many Cajun bands. But mostly we just have a good time. It is a hobby for all of us.