Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-27-2016, 02:32 PM   #1

First "Real" Trip

We bought our first RV last November and we are on our first real camping trip. We left Illinois Friday afternoon and arrived in Augusta, Georgia later Saturday. We also experienced our first ever "Cracker Barrel boondocking" in Clarksville, TN. The only bad part of the trip was the constant construction slow downs and stoppages in 95 degree heat. But today the Motorhome is "cool" compared to outside, the ice maker is popping out ice cubes the refrigerator is full and cold and the flag is flying high. Thanks for all the advice over the last several months - you made this trip less stressful and gave me an amazing RV education.

Todd
toddlafond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 02:50 PM   #2

Glad you had a uneventful trip ! How was the over nighting at CB ? Run the generator and house A/C while traveling in the heat ?
1930 lbs CCC
2014 Jeep Rubicon JK
Going where the weather suits my clothes.
Steeljag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 04:20 PM   #3

It was okay. Not very level and I only ran the generator and AC for an hour or so to get it cooled down and then ran battery operated fans. It did get warm by morning but we survived. I did not run the generator and AC while driving. I guess I never thought of that as an option. Do allot of you guys do that?

Todd
Old 06-27-2016, 05:27 PM   #4

Followup question. Where we are in Georgia seems to have the whole of the ant population known to Georgia. I sprayed around my tires and my stabilizer jacks and my sewer line. Any other suggestions on either where to spay or what to use would be appreciated. My wife hates ants
Old 06-28-2016, 06:26 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddlafond View Post
It was okay. Not very level.....

Todd
Sorry about the sloping parking lot here in Clarksville, they really didn't plan that well for long term stopping. Directly across the street is a Sam's with level parking or as you travel back thru just go one more turnoff at exit one to Clarksville RV park. Turn right then left at the Shell station. All your food & fuel requirements are on the opposite side of the interstate. Safe travels.

He who dies with the most tools, wins!
SilhouettePenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 07:33 AM   #6

You are so,right. There is a wealth of information on here. These folks are the best with sharing. I feel so dumb sometimes even though we have camped a lot over the years. I learn something almost every time I log on.

Have lots of fun. Where in Augusta are you?

Bob, Diane & Snoopy
2018 3050s Sunseeker
Santabobswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 07:39 AM   #7
Insert witty title here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santabobswife View Post
You are so,right. There is a wealth of information on here. These folks are the best with sharing. I feel so dumb sometimes even though we have camped a lot over the years. I learn something almost every time I log on.

Have lots of fun. Where in Augusta are you?
Our first RV trip EVER was hauling our 35' TT 2800 miles roundtrip from MA to Florida and the advice and wisdom gathered from the people on here was invaluable and the trip went on without a hitch except for blowing a trailer tire on the side of I95 in GA with no lug wrench or jack.

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 07:41 AM   #8

Years ago I had a 34' Class A - and yes, we ran the Onan Generator while traveling to keep the coach cool while out west in the desert(s). With the new 25' tt, no generator, we travel with the ceiling air vents open slightly. Once on site, it takes about 30 - 45 minutes for the onboard a/c to cool the trailer down.
Old 06-28-2016, 07:45 AM   #9
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddlafond View Post
Followup question. Where we are in Georgia seems to have the whole of the ant population known to Georgia. I sprayed around my tires and my stabilizer jacks and my sewer line. Any other suggestions on either where to spay or what to use would be appreciated. My wife hates ants
Don't forget about your hose and power cord. Anywhere there is a connection from ground to camper is a path for them to get in. Look up, also- trees are often a source of ants coming in. You have to stop their way in. We battled a huge fight in Florida a couple of years ago.

For the inside, we used Terro ant traps and an organic spray. My wife sprayed anything she saw and we used the Terro traps to ultimately kill them off.
Old 06-28-2016, 07:58 AM   #10

I take used coffee grounds and sprinkle them around the tires. Seems to work. Do it at home around the ground at entry doors.

Bob, Diane & Snoopy
2018 3050s Sunseeker
Santabobswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 08:13 AM   #11

All good ant prevention mentioned above. We also place Amdro ant killer around the camper if needed.

Numerous positive threads here about running the generator, and AC, while traveling when warm! Those generators were built to be run, use them !

Enjoy the trip !
1930 lbs CCC
2014 Jeep Rubicon JK
Going where the weather suits my clothes.
Steeljag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 11:51 AM   #12

Sorry about the sloping parking lot here in Clarksville, they really didn't plan that well for long term stopping. Directly across the street is a Sam's with level parking or as you travel back thru just go one more turnoff at exit one to Clarksville RV park. Turn right then left at the Shell station. All your food & fuel requirements are on the opposite side of the interstate. Safe travels.

Thanks for that info. We probably won't be stopping there on the trip home but if we go through Clarksville again we will keep this in mind. Thanks
Old 06-28-2016, 11:52 AM   #13

I will thanks for the advice.