Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 12-20-2017, 03:10 PM   #21

Whewwww. I also thank you.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Old 12-20-2017, 04:00 PM   #22

Thank you site team.
USN-RET/DOD-RET
Old 12-20-2017, 04:12 PM   #23
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampingGator View Post
I think most are aware they should have their dogs leashed when in the campground. I get that you thought he was just going to go to relieve himself and come back in. It just depends on the dog and how well trained they are. A few years ago we were camping at Thanksgiving. We went to bed. My DH falls asleep really fast, but as I was laying there I felt the trailer moving and the sound of someone at the door. I got up to check and a big lab was up on the steps, wanting in. She thought she had found her own home. A lady was walking outside on the road and was trying to call the dog. Poor dog - she was confused. I felt sorry for her that she was trying to find home, but couldn’t.
I hope you are not saying if you believe your dog is well trained then you don't need to leash it.

Rules are rules no matter how well behaved or what time of day or night.

To the OP, I suspect you thought what you were doing was OK as you've likely done it many times before... and I also suspect you didn't think this thread was going to go the direction it has... but following the rules would have prevented your situation. (and we'll assume there were leash rules at a public campground) Correct me if I'm wrong.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
Old 12-20-2017, 04:23 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
I hope you are not saying if you believe your dog is well trained then you don't need to leash it.

Rules are rules no matter how well behaved or what time of day or night.

To the OP, I suspect you thought what you were doing was OK as you've likely done it many times before... and I also suspect you didn't think this thread was going to go the direction it has... but following the rules would have prevented your situation. (and we'll assume there were leash rules at a public campground) Correct me if I'm wrong.
I don't know of any campground without rules prohibiting dogs that are outside and not leashed or tethered...even on your own site. Unless they have a designated off-leash area or you have your own portable fencing. And rightly so.

As you say, rules are rules, and we all need to familiarize ourselves with them.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
Old 12-20-2017, 04:35 PM   #25

I envision your pup posting to his camping forum about how his wonderful peaceful time enjoying the sounds and scents under his rig was ruined by his human insisting that he return inside. You truly are a lucky person if this was your worse camping experience! Merry Christmas

Phil, Heather & Olaf the Boxer
Ontario Canada
Lexington 283GTS
Old 12-20-2017, 05:40 PM   #26
(Dry Huunday)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RitaB View Post
I always keep a tie-out line attached to the handle next to the door outside. There is no way I going to walk around the campground in my PJ's. I just watch him from the doorway and can pull him back in if I have to. Also I can see if he is leaving a mine and can pick it up in the morning.
Not wanting to run around in your PJs makes sense....but you are still controlling your pup and the situation, which is what everyone should do! Nice job, thinking outside the box!

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
Old 12-20-2017, 05:48 PM   #27

Your dog probably just tried to enjoy a few moments of freedom
On the farm we had a German Shepard Bernise Mountain dog cross, she never wore a collar in her live and she always returned home from her ventures from getting chased by coyotes, rolling in a dead deer carcass, getting sprayed by a skunk or picking a fight with a porcupine. The good news, never two of them in the same day .
Old 12-20-2017, 05:50 PM   #28
Bene Gesserit Rule

Our very first outing in our brand new Wildwood Heritage Glen started, like them all, with mountains of enthusiasm and expectation from me, the driver, mechanic, cook, general roustabout and utter fear and trepidation in the DW on the other side. All was well until we arrived at our site (a beach front only a 2hr drive from home).

Set up camp, but had to straddle two sites because the guy next door had already done that to avoid a sloppy depression. No problems, park not full, plenty of room to wiggle, everybody is still happy. Then... we ran out of fresh water on the first day. Not bad considering that I had filled the 200 litre tank before we left.

Then a day later a new arrival, in another 5'er, looked like they were having a little difficulty in reversing into their spot behind and to the right of us. I offered to help, got a very harsh 'mind your own business' like comment and glare from the 'official director of hubby's parking' woman.

I'm thinking, "is this what all so-called friendly fellow campers are like"?

Turned out later, the woman had had a bad day on the road and was a bit stressed and tired. All was well. Now all I have to do is find out why we lost all that water, a tale for another time.
Old 12-20-2017, 06:32 PM   #29
D W

Quote:
Originally Posted by hagensieker View Post
Got up to 70 yesterday in Eastern Carolina and I’m on vacation soooooooooo......camping it is. I made a reservation at a park I hadn’t been to a bit more than an hour from home right on the river. Beautiful day. Sitting at the picnic table, faithful dog by my side, cold beer, good book. Perfect.

Cut to about 1 AM. Dog wakes me up to go pee. I let him out with no leash. He wanders around a bit which is okay.......its perfect out. Then the dog, not wanting to come in goes under the camper, right in the middle where there is no way I can reach him and just sits there.

He’s a good guy and never even remotely done anything like that before but here I am at 1AM begging, trying to trick him, getting angry for like 20 minutes. I could crawl under there and grab him but then I’m going to need a shower.

He finally comes out but good grief, it sure ruined the magic for a bit there.

Gosh, if that's the worst thing that could happen to you while on a camping venture, count your lucky stars. There's a lot worse things that can happen!
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
Old 12-20-2017, 06:46 PM   #30
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by D W View Post
Gosh, if that's the worst thing that could happen to you while on a camping venture, count your lucky stars. There's a lot worse things that can happen!
Right... if you break a spring or 2 like e-dad did, you’ll probably retire from the sport!!

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Old 12-20-2017, 07:41 PM   #31

I believe you got what you deserved. Allowing your dog to run loose in a campground is not what one does. If your too lazy to properly care for your pet, then perhaps you should stay home.
Old 12-20-2017, 07:45 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walholler View Post
I believe you got what you deserved. Allowing your dog to run loose in a campground is not what one does. If your too lazy to properly care for your pet, then perhaps you should stay home.
X2
Amateur Radio W5CI 2019 Days Camping 25
2020 Days Camping 7
Old 12-20-2017, 07:55 PM   #33

Calm down
Nobody died
Old 12-20-2017, 08:12 PM   #34
(Dry Huunday)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M & A Camping View Post
Calm down
Nobody died
X2

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
Old 12-20-2017, 08:42 PM   #35

There was probably something out there that he wasn't comfortable with, or he has a wicked sense of humor in the middle of the night. Glad he finally came back in. Just for fun, mine will barf on the quilt. Always the quilt or carpet, never the bare floor. Always in the middle of the night.
Closed Thread

Tags
camping