Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-04-2015, 02:28 PM   #1

First RV and believe that I have successfully winterized...what else needs to be done?

Hello All and thanks for welcoming me, my wife, and my dog.

We purchased a 2016 Forest River Forester 3011DS. I have winterized that bad boy...all the lines and faucets have pink antifreeze coming through...also poured a cup down each drain for the traps...

What else needs to be done...I will cover it once the cover arrives and she will stay with me at my office, so I do plan to get out there every other week to start her up, and move everything around...

any other things that I need to do, moth balls, mice traps, I saw something about dryer sheets....I have no idea what to do next, and of course when I bought it, the manuals are missing, we are waiting for them to arrive.

thanks in advance

P.S. I think I have knicknamed her "cruisin in the slow lane"
Bigairh20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 02:58 PM   #2

I generally take the battery out and store it in the garage and once in a while throw a charger on it just to keep it fresh. Dryer sheets do make for a nice lasting smell when it comes time to open up in the spring. Remember the last rule is to relax. Each year you learn something new and some things you won't agree with.
Old 11-04-2015, 03:08 PM   #3

Peppermint oil on cotton balls in salt shakers around the bays and coach for mice.
"Harry" the JK toad in the mirror
Check out the "mods" in the albums
Hoglou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 12:06 AM   #4

Nice RIG..wish I had one.

After spending almost an entire day cleaning my furnace and ducts of mouse poo and mouse nest material, I would set traps in the heater compartment and various strategic places in the camper.

If your heating duct work runs under the floor then by all means please affix a metal screen to the ductwork manifold under the heater. Yes, removing the heater is a PITA but cleaning up mouse urine and droppings is something I wish to never experience...the smell is AWFUL!

Dryer sheets don't help much with mice and the sheets make nice bedding material for the critters to use.

Additional Tips:

Remove batteries from TV remotes, thermostat remotes, and other safety devices. Batteries seem to leak over the winter months.

Do a roof inspection and ensure the Dicor is not cracked. Reseal as necessary to prevent any leaks.

Coat the water heater drain fitting threads with some mineral oil. The threads one mine get rusty if I don't do this.

Store in a tilted position so snow can slide off quicker....perhaps drive front wheels onto some wood blocks?

Cover wheels to prevent UV damage.

Seal all areas under camp to prevent critter intrusion.

Put baking soda in fridge and freezer. I do not leave fridge doors open after finding mouse poo in my freezer last year.

Duct tape or seal hater intake/exhaust openings.

Add a fuel preservative for engine and generator. Ensure engines are run long enough for preservative to get into fuel system.
Skyliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 12:43 PM   #5

I read here about a product called "Fresh Cab". It is rodent repellent. I have placed some in our trailer and I am hoping no critters this year. I bought my "Fresh Cab at Tractor Supply. Menards also have it.
98 days camping 2017 98 days camping 2018
94 days camping 2019 49 days camping 2020
Wayne Joan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 01:04 PM   #6

We've used dryer sheets for years with no critters ... I guess just Kansas mice don't like em.
3-4 pages of wadded up newspaper work as well inside a closed up refrigerator. The ink absorbes any order.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 01:53 PM   #7

Depending on your location I would also put a couple of tubs of Damp rid to collect moisture in different areas of coach.
rhughsless is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 03:45 PM   #8
Retired Ford Tech

If you have a Black Tank Flush, don't forget to blow it out with air or pump anti-freeze through it. It has a check valve that could crack if you don't.
This is the voice of experience !!
rvpezzano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 06:24 PM   #9

Winterizing

Just wanted to mention the outside shower if you haven't done it.

Also, You may want to take a look under your rig to see how much bare structure metal is exposed. We found that our new unit had no protection.
I used a combination of rubberized undercoat and spray-on bedliner to coat everything. Rustoleum makes some good products in spray cans. Best price is Walmart in automotive. For the investment in a new RV, this is well worth the time and money to protect the under body metal.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 10:48 PM   #10

I have one of those wonderful residential sized refrigerators. Unfortunately, I didn't realize the internal water filter can freeze. Well, it split wide open and when we de-winterized and hooked up the water, it came gushing out from under the refrig door. Don't forget the outside water filter canister too if you have one. Some come with a blank you can insert to allow you to remove the clear plastic filter housing.
Old 11-06-2015, 04:04 PM   #11

Do not waste time with moth balls and the like

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigairh20 View Post
Hello All and thanks for welcoming me, my wife, and my dog.

We purchased a 2016 Forest River Forester 3011DS. I have winterized that bad boy...all the lines and faucets have pink antifreeze coming through...also poured a cup down each drain for the traps...

What else needs to be done...I will cover it once the cover arrives and she will stay with me at my office, so I do plan to get out there every other week to start her up, and move everything around...

any other things that I need to do, moth balls, mice traps, I saw something about dryer sheets....I have no idea what to do next, and of course when I bought it, the manuals are missing, we are waiting for them to arrive.

thanks in advance

P.S. I think I have knicknamed her "cruisin in the slow lane"
First thing Congrats on your nice coach it is nice to see someone really want to care for their coach, as for mice the best thing to do is purchase peppermint oil and get some cotton balls and some plastic gloves, or just purchase from (How to Use Fresh Cab | earthkind) of look on amazon for freash cab also, but you need to put them in basement locations and any lower cabinets that mice can get into. Also you should take a very minutes and open all you basement cabinets and look "up" and have a can or two of expandable foam with you and plug up and and all holes lets from building the coach to slow down there ways in.
After all that as you stated you7 will be checking on your baby so just keep and eye out and if needed put for fresh cab out during the winter.
Happy Camping and pray with all the other campers who want spring faster then it will be.
silverback 35ts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 01:59 PM   #12
Salem Cruise Lite Owner

Check cabinets for that last soft drink, spaghetti sauce or anything that might freeze and explode!
Bushbunch is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winter, winterize