Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-02-2019, 07:27 AM   #1
...Dave’s not here.

First Time Out

Well today I am rolling out with the new TT on a couple day tryout camp. (203RBK)
Dont have it fully loaded yet obviously since its a week old, but I have most of my basics in it it already.
Great thing is I have CAT scales right here less than a mile from my house, they are rarely busy so I can keep up with any changes pretty easily.
Looking forward to just chilling in the woods for 4 days/3nights and learning how the new home fits.
Scotch2cubes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 08:22 AM   #2
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Enjoy!
The first trip out is always a new adventure for sure but also a gateway for better things to come.
It's all about the journey!

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 08:51 PM   #3
...Dave’s not here.

Disastrous start

As many have posted it’s the CAT SCALES topic, some of these people need training.
I had the CAT scale operator near me threaten to call the police until I got the manager involved and he dismissed the person who was being a belligerent ass.

I went to weigh, they came on the intercom... Do you need a weight? I said
yes I am using the weight my truck app. They come back ok, got it. I did my weigh, and as a semi had rolled up I pulled off and let him weigh while I disconnected the WDH.
Rolled back on the scales. Operator comes back asking what I need.
I say, I am weighing my trailer but I need to do 3 weighs to get all my info in the CAT app. Again... ok got it. I hit weigh and pull off to drop the TT.
This time I come back, no one comes on the intercom I hit weigh.. sit there a minute and it says, see scale operator for ticket, trouble communicating with scale.

I go inside, I say I need my third weigh, she says, you didn’t do a third weight you never came back. I replied, I’m pretty sure I remember how many times I pulled up on the scale. She says no you owe me $13.50 for two weighs.
I reply no I paid with my app. She replies yes you paid for two with your app and the two I did. I look at her and say why did you weight my truck? I don’t need your weight I just need my 3rd... it went around and around escalating in intensity until I just said you know what I’m on vacation and I am done arguing with you I’ll find another station. I leave, she comes running out the door screaming “I’m calling the police” you owe me 13.50 and made a move to grab me when I said, if you touch me I guarantee you’ll need the police. Finally the manager walks out sends her away and we had a calm discussion where I showed him the app, and I said I had no idea what she had weighed me for since I had told her, as well as she could obviously SEE I was using the app. He graciously handed me all four slips, apologized, and I was able to sort out the 3 weighs (which she said didn’t happen LOL)

Gross Combined Weight

Truck Weight (hitched + WDH engaged)

Truck Weight (hitched; no WDH)

Truck Weight (truck only)

Camper Weight

Tongue Weight

Tongue Weight Percentage
16.7 %

Quite happy with the first load out, that was about 75% of all my gear and it was not as organized as I would have liked but overall it turned out well.

After the initial troubles the trip was great, met some great people, and have some plans already for next weekend when I may be doing the tube run down the river a few miles.

Happy trails.
Scotch2cubes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 09:25 AM   #4

Question Towing Setup

I'm thinking of getting the 203BK and would like to know more about your towing setup. I believe you have a Nissan Frontier for your TV which is similar to my Tacoma. Please forgive my ignorance, but does your WDH allow you to go over your TV tongue rating? My tv says its limit is 600 lb. So I guess what I want to know is, does the WDH allow me to exceed this limit?
pmckinleysr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 09:33 AM   #5
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmckinleysr View Post
I'm thinking of getting the 203BK and would like to know more about your towing setup. I believe you have a Nissan Frontier for your TV which is similar to my Tacoma. Please forgive my ignorance, but does your WDH allow you to go over your TV tongue rating? My tv says its limit is 600 lb. So I guess what I want to know is, does the WDH allow me to exceed this limit?
Typically there are 2 weights listed on the sticker - one for weight carrying and one for weight distributing.

Do you have a sticker on your hitch that looks something like this?
Old 09-05-2019, 09:36 AM   #6
Always Learning

A WDH doesn't reduce tongue weight, it just distributes it to the front truck wheels and to the camper's wheels. I think you can still NOT exceed the tongue weight rating of the hitch itself.

See this post/graphic/discussion:
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ml#post1619319
Old 09-06-2019, 10:35 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Typically there are 2 weights listed on the sticker - one for weight carrying and one for weight distributing.

Do you have a sticker on your hitch that looks something like this?
I could not find the sticker you refer to. I have found out that I have much to learn about the subject and have been busy trying to study it further. It seems like you can make an untenable towing system tenable by using a WDH to overcome limitations like tongue weight. I very much appreciate learning from your experience.

Paul
pmckinleysr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 10:50 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotch2cubes View Post
As many have posted it’s the CAT SCALES topic, some of these people need training.
I had the CAT scale operator near me threaten to call the police until I got the manager involved and he dismissed the person who was being a belligerent ass.

I went to weigh, they came on the intercom... Do you need a weight? I said
yes I am using the weight my truck app. They come back ok, got it. I did my weigh, and as a semi had rolled up I pulled off and let him weigh while I disconnected the WDH.
Rolled back on the scales. Operator comes back asking what I need.
I say, I am weighing my trailer but I need to do 3 weighs to get all my info in the CAT app. Again... ok got it. I hit weigh and pull off to drop the TT.
This time I come back, no one comes on the intercom I hit weigh.. sit there a minute and it says, see scale operator for ticket, trouble communicating with scale.

I go inside, I say I need my third weigh, she says, you didn’t do a third weight you never came back. I replied, I’m pretty sure I remember how many times I pulled up on the scale. She says no you owe me $13.50 for two weighs.
I reply no I paid with my app. She replies yes you paid for two with your app and the two I did. I look at her and say why did you weight my truck? I don’t need your weight I just need my 3rd... it went around and around escalating in intensity until I just said you know what I’m on vacation and I am done arguing with you I’ll find another station. I leave, she comes running out the door screaming “I’m calling the police” you owe me 13.50 and made a move to grab me when I said, if you touch me I guarantee you’ll need the police. Finally the manager walks out sends her away and we had a calm discussion where I showed him the app, and I said I had no idea what she had weighed me for since I had told her, as well as she could obviously SEE I was using the app. He graciously handed me all four slips, apologized, and I was able to sort out the 3 weighs (which she said didn’t happen LOL)

Gross Combined Weight

Truck Weight (hitched + WDH engaged)

Truck Weight (hitched; no WDH)

Truck Weight (truck only)

Camper Weight

Tongue Weight

Tongue Weight Percentage
16.7 %

Quite happy with the first load out, that was about 75% of all my gear and it was not as organized as I would have liked but overall it turned out well.

After the initial troubles the trip was great, met some great people, and have some plans already for next weekend when I may be doing the tube run down the river a few miles.

Happy trails.
Scotch2cubes, Just out of curiosity, which camper do you own? Your weights seem similar to my 2109S

Ray
US Navy Veteran
RandK-M is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
first time