Old 05-14-2018, 06:26 AM   #1

First time RV owner, I have many questions

This is our first RV, we bought it for the garage to put our ATVs in and I have several questions. We bought a 2019 Forest River Boost 37TSX13 with the cummins 5.5 Generator.

Q1: This RV has electric jacks but no auto level. Can that be added or not. Also I see others using the Anderson leveling ramps, are they necessary.

Q2: The RV is Prewired for a back-up camera, I'm thinking of having the dealer add one. Good idea or is there one I can install and save the labor?

Q3: Must have items. So far I've Purchased a Camco Water Tank Filler with Shutoff Valve, a Camco RV Brass Inline Water Pressure Regulator, TST Ultra-Concentrated Orange Citrus Scent RV Toilet Treatment Drop-Ins and an electric fly swatter.

Just curious of what the group considers a must have. I appreciate any and all ideas.

TIA,
Mike

mzodarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 06:59 AM   #2
Site Team

A1a: If they scissor down instead of a direct ram, then those are most likely the ‘stabilizers’, not levellers. They’re not designed for lifting the trailer and attempting to level with them will risk bending/binding them. You’ll need to level side to side first by blocking under the wheels (see A1b for more info) and then you level front to back after unhooking.

A1b: People who use the Andersen levellers love their ease of use, but other people will use either the LEGO blocks (Orange = Lynx Levellers, Yellow = Camco knockoff) or just some lengths of 2x6,8,10,12 (depending on preference).

A2: Not sure yet. I never used one with my TT, but the truck I’ve ordered will be coming with one to go with the new fiver. I don’t consider them a ‘need’, but they’ll make your life way easier if you can afford one.

A3: You’re going to get a ton of answers to this one, and many will assume money’s no object cause, hey, it’s not theirs they’re telling you to go spend. It’ll be up to you to decipher what you truly ‘need’ and what you just ‘want’. One site I like to recommend for helping you learn the difference is http://learntorv.com/newbie-first-trip-essentials/. Written by a member on these forums, he’s done a pretty good job of breaking it down into things like “eating”, “grooming”, “sleeping”,...

Lastly, welcome to the lifestyle, we’re here if you need us.

Old 05-14-2018, 10:16 AM   #3

welcome to the forum its a great place to get your questions answered.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 10:47 AM   #4
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzodarg View Post
Q1: This RV has electric jacks but no auto level. Can that be added or not. Also I see others using the Anderson leveling ramps, are they necessary.
Yes, it can be added. When I looked at it for my fifth wheel, it was in the ballpark of $4,000-4,500. Needless to say, we leveled manually.

Info on how to level:
RV Leveling is Really Quick and Easy | Learn To RV

And my preference for blocks:
LynxLevelers Leveling Blocks | Learn To RV

Quote:
Q2: The RV is Prewired for a back-up camera, I'm thinking of having the dealer add one. Good idea or is there one I can install and save the labor?
I would imagine it's pretty easy but haven't looked at the instructions. Worst case, buy the kit and check the installation. If you can do it, great. If not, take it to a dealer.

Quote:
Q3: Must have items. So far I've Purchased a Camco Water Tank Filler with Shutoff Valve,
a Camco RV Brass Inline Water Pressure Regulator, TST Ultra-Concentrated Orange Citrus Scent RV Toilet Treatment Drop-Ins and an electric fly swatter.
The bare essentials are very minimal. The should haves get a little longer. And the wants are never ending!

Newbie – First Trip Essentials | Learn To RV
Old 05-14-2018, 01:38 PM   #5

TST Ultra-Concentrated Orange Citrus Scent RV Toilet Treatment Drop-Ins

Great chemical! Best we have found in four years of RV'ing six months a year. Except we use the individual bottles of the orange citrus treatment -- haven't tried the drop-ins but I have trouble with laundry pods that want to stick together if they get damp or if your hands are damp. Individual bottles are more expensive than large bottles, but with the individual bottles we use just the right amount -- otherwise we are overtreating. Walmart sells them and they are reasonably priced and,what's more important, work slick.
NH Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 04:00 PM   #6

LCI showed an electric 6 point leveler for TT and Fivers at Goshen last year. Price was to be less that traditional systems, tech that was installing it did not have firm price. Took two tech about 4 hours to install the whole thing. Looked good. Noticed a 2018 Rockwood in display area with a set on it. Maybe a factory option now.
Days camped in FR, 2011 = 20, 2012 = 57, 2013 = 59
....2014 = 39, Ď15 = 52, Ď16 = 77, Ď17 = 81, 2018 = 44
Retired :
satdog01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 07:46 PM   #7

Patience , since of adventure, willingness to learn and friends with experience to go with after all not as fun if you donít have someone to laugh at rookie mistakes then watch them make one as well
moose074 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 09:46 PM   #8

Anderson levelers

If you have lots money put on the automatic levelers. I have been camping and leveling for 40 plus years and the Anderson levelers are the easiest and best levelers I have ever used.
Dale
djreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 10:00 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by djreg View Post
If you have lots money put on the automatic levelers. I have been camping and leveling for 40 plus years and the Anderson levelers are the easiest and best levelers I have ever used.
Dale
Essentials: desire to have an adventure, willingness to laugh at mistakes, and a good disposition to people.

Other than that:
If I cleaned out my TT and loaded back absolute must only?

Good clean water hose, drinking quality
Inline water filter of some kind.
Level, level blocks (I use the orange ones)
Bug dope.
Broom.
Tank drain hose.
Good flashlight or 2 (I think right now there are about half a dozen of the little 9 led flash lights in my rig.)
Box of basic tools: hammer, plier, screw driver, knife, adjustable wrench, tape, dry lube, tape measure, etc.

Extras:
Pads for under jack and stabilizer legs.
Rug or pad to put down in front.
Hatchet
Firefighters
Extensions for...everything
Kerosene lamp, and Off bug candles
Pots pans dishes towels

Now I'm just getting silly.
Best of luck, kick back and enjoy the learning curve!
1995 GMC Yukon Sport
1986 Jayco1016PUP
Days Camped:'13-10 '14-20 '15-6 '16-9 '17-14 '18-3
XenoRev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 10:35 PM   #10

Must haves.

Chairs and Tables
Ground Mat for under awnimg
Insect Repellent
BBQ
Smoker
Cast Iron pans
Axe, Hatchet, Buck saw, Pruner (13 ft 3 in rig I trim when needed in wooded parks)
Pop Up for Family Camps
Tools, RV's break
Tape and Tarps in case something happens.

Nice to have
Sat Dish
Generator

2013 Rockwood 8289WS 2012 Rockwood 2703 SS TT 2007 Golden Falcon 38FLA PM 1983 Corsair 21RB
2015 Ford F250 PS '13 F150 3.5 Eco '09 F150 5.4 l 1987 Merc Grand Marq 1982 Ford E250 CW
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
first time