Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-14-2018, 05:26 AM   #1

First time RV owner, I have many questions

This is our first RV, we bought it for the garage to put our ATVs in and I have several questions. We bought a 2019 Forest River Boost 37TSX13 with the cummins 5.5 Generator.

Q1: This RV has electric jacks but no auto level. Can that be added or not. Also I see others using the Anderson leveling ramps, are they necessary.

Q2: The RV is Prewired for a back-up camera, I'm thinking of having the dealer add one. Good idea or is there one I can install and save the labor?

Q3: Must have items. So far I've Purchased a Camco Water Tank Filler with Shutoff Valve, a Camco RV Brass Inline Water Pressure Regulator, TST Ultra-Concentrated Orange Citrus Scent RV Toilet Treatment Drop-Ins and an electric fly swatter.

Just curious of what the group considers a must have. I appreciate any and all ideas.

TIA,
Mike
mzodarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 05:59 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

A1a: If they scissor down instead of a direct ram, then those are most likely the ‘stabilizers’, not levellers. They’re not designed for lifting the trailer and attempting to level with them will risk bending/binding them. You’ll need to level side to side first by blocking under the wheels (see A1b for more info) and then you level front to back after unhooking.

A1b: People who use the Andersen levellers love their ease of use, but other people will use either the LEGO blocks (Orange = Lynx Levellers, Yellow = Camco knockoff) or just some lengths of 2x6,8,10,12 (depending on preference).

A2: Not sure yet. I never used one with my TT, but the truck I’ve ordered will be coming with one to go with the new fiver. I don’t consider them a ‘need’, but they’ll make your life way easier if you can afford one.

A3: You’re going to get a ton of answers to this one, and many will assume money’s no object cause, hey, it’s not theirs they’re telling you to go spend. It’ll be up to you to decipher what you truly ‘need’ and what you just ‘want’. One site I like to recommend for helping you learn the difference is http://learntorv.com/newbie-first-trip-essentials/. Written by a member on these forums, he’s done a pretty good job of breaking it down into things like “eating”, “grooming”, “sleeping”,...

Lastly, welcome to the lifestyle, we’re here if you need us.
Old 05-14-2018, 09:16 AM   #3

welcome to the forum its a great place to get your questions answered.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 09:47 AM   #4
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzodarg View Post
Q1: This RV has electric jacks but no auto level. Can that be added or not. Also I see others using the Anderson leveling ramps, are they necessary.
Yes, it can be added. When I looked at it for my fifth wheel, it was in the ballpark of $4,000-4,500. Needless to say, we leveled manually.

Info on how to level:
RV Leveling is Really Quick and Easy | Learn To RV

And my preference for blocks:
LynxLevelers Leveling Blocks | Learn To RV

Quote:
Q2: The RV is Prewired for a back-up camera, I'm thinking of having the dealer add one. Good idea or is there one I can install and save the labor?
I would imagine it's pretty easy but haven't looked at the instructions. Worst case, buy the kit and check the installation. If you can do it, great. If not, take it to a dealer.

Quote:
Q3: Must have items. So far I've Purchased a Camco Water Tank Filler with Shutoff Valve,
a Camco RV Brass Inline Water Pressure Regulator, TST Ultra-Concentrated Orange Citrus Scent RV Toilet Treatment Drop-Ins and an electric fly swatter.
The bare essentials are very minimal. The should haves get a little longer. And the wants are never ending!

Newbie – First Trip Essentials | Learn To RV
Old 05-14-2018, 12:38 PM   #5

TST Ultra-Concentrated Orange Citrus Scent RV Toilet Treatment Drop-Ins

Great chemical! Best we have found in four years of RV'ing six months a year. Except we use the individual bottles of the orange citrus treatment -- haven't tried the drop-ins but I have trouble with laundry pods that want to stick together if they get damp or if your hands are damp. Individual bottles are more expensive than large bottles, but with the individual bottles we use just the right amount -- otherwise we are overtreating. Walmart sells them and they are reasonably priced and,what's more important, work slick.
NH Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 03:00 PM   #6

LCI showed an electric 6 point leveler for TT and Fivers at Goshen last year. Price was to be less that traditional systems, tech that was installing it did not have firm price. Took two tech about 4 hours to install the whole thing. Looked good. Noticed a 2018 Rockwood in display area with a set on it. Maybe a factory option now.
Days camped in FR 2011-12 = 77, 13-14 = 98, 15-16 = 129
17 = 81, 18 = 44, 19 = 83, 20= 45, 21 = 76, 22 = 57, 23 = 42
Retired :
satdog01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 06:46 PM   #7

Patience , since of adventure, willingness to learn and friends with experience to go with after all not as fun if you don’t have someone to laugh at rookie mistakes then watch them make one as well
Old 05-14-2018, 08:46 PM   #8

Anderson levelers

If you have lots money put on the automatic levelers. I have been camping and leveling for 40 plus years and the Anderson levelers are the easiest and best levelers I have ever used.
Dale
djreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 09:00 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by djreg View Post
If you have lots money put on the automatic levelers. I have been camping and leveling for 40 plus years and the Anderson levelers are the easiest and best levelers I have ever used.
Dale
Essentials: desire to have an adventure, willingness to laugh at mistakes, and a good disposition to people.

Other than that:
If I cleaned out my TT and loaded back absolute must only?

Good clean water hose, drinking quality
Inline water filter of some kind.
Level, level blocks (I use the orange ones)
Bug dope.
Broom.
Tank drain hose.
Good flashlight or 2 (I think right now there are about half a dozen of the little 9 led flash lights in my rig.)
Box of basic tools: hammer, plier, screw driver, knife, adjustable wrench, tape, dry lube, tape measure, etc.

Extras:
Pads for under jack and stabilizer legs.
Rug or pad to put down in front.
Hatchet
Firefighters
Extensions for...everything
Kerosene lamp, and Off bug candles
Pots pans dishes towels

Now I'm just getting silly.
Best of luck, kick back and enjoy the learning curve!
1995 GMC Yukon Sport
1986 Jayco1016PUP
Days Camped:'13-10 '14-20 '15-6 '16-9 '17-14 '18-3 '19-12 '20-14 '21-12
XenoRev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 09:35 PM   #10

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Must haves.

Chairs and Tables
Ground Mat for under awnimg
Insect Repellent
BBQ
Smoker
Cast Iron pans
Axe, Hatchet, Buck saw, Pruner (13 ft 3 in rig I trim when needed in wooded parks)
Pop Up for Family Camps
Tools, RV's break
Tape and Tarps in case something happens.

Nice to have
Sat Dish
Generator
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 09:44 PM   #11

Fire extinguishers.
klickitatjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 09:46 PM   #12

I love my anderson levelers. Makes it much easier. can still use the lego blocks as stabilizer pads.

RV rear camera is 4 screws and 1 plug you cannot mess up. Don't pay someone to install it. I no longer require help backing at home or storage. still get help when someplace new.

Must haves:
Hmm. I have a long list but the big one you forgot....a level.[emoji6] i have one from a chepo HF toolkit i leave in the trailer.

A few good rubber chocks
If you don't like movement try x-chocks but try without first.

power cord(s)
adapters at least 30 to 50. the rest get when you need.
highly suggest an EMS but its a prefrence thing.
dump hoset/supports
water hose
blackwater hose
a few chairs

i spent a lot of money getting things I didn't really need. I still had to buy a ton at walmart on the first trip.

i would camp in the driveway for a day and run your routine to really see what you need.

best of luck and enjoy your camper!
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 09:56 PM   #13

A TPMS should pretty high on your list of must haves.
DSurette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 06:53 PM   #14

Also welcome to the forum. I use lynx levelers for my 5er. Also I found out, kinda by happy accident, that the Tadi Brothers camera that I got fit nicely into the Furion base installed on my trailer. We're full timers and learn all the time. A lot from right here on the forums. Xenorev and the others have great advice. Ask questions and use common sense. RVers are a great group, who love what they do and are willing to help. Happy and safe travels.

'17 Coachmen Chaparral
'17 Silverado 6.6L Duramax
Retired & Full Timer
KI4OVB
68 Whiskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 08:34 PM   #15

Replacement tires if it came with no-name "China Bombs". (We like Maxxis.) TPMS. As already said, the Furrion observation camera is a 5 minute DIY install.
stephndudb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 09:00 PM   #16

I'll add one more, in addition to fire extinguishers, don't beleive everything you read, but... don't totally ignore it either
klickitatjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 02:47 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSurette View Post
A TPMS should pretty high on your list of must haves.
Bought one of these: Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X Portable RV Surge Protector - 50 Amp, also got the Anderson levelers (3 of them).
Old 05-28-2018, 04:12 AM   #18

Probably the most important thing I can think of is good cold beer. A good cold beer will make almost any situation better.

You'll need some kind of levelers for the tires to get it level side to side. Some folks just cut up some wood and make their own, some use the lego style and then the Andersen style. When we bought the Lego style and they were ok at best. Later one I bought the Andersen, they were the easiest to use and made side to side leveling much simpler.

Spend some money on good water hose, we have been using the blue Camco for years.

If you have a black tank flush buy a completely different hose for that, ours is a different brand and color so I don't mess up.

Sewer hose, we like both the Rhino and Valterra Dominator.

Take your time, drive slow and enjoy the journey.
Old 05-28-2018, 11:25 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKRITTER View Post
Probably the most important thing I can think of is good cold beer. A good cold beer will make almost any situation better.

You'll need some kind of levelers for the tires to get it level side to side. Some folks just cut up some wood and make their own, some use the lego style and then the Andersen style. When we bought the Lego style and they were ok at best. Later one I bought the Andersen, they were the easiest to use and made side to side leveling much simpler.

Spend some money on good water hose, we have been using the blue Camco for years.

If you have a black tank flush buy a completely different hose for that, ours is a different brand and color so I don't mess up.

Sewer hose, we like both the Rhino and Valterra Dominator.

Take your time, drive slow and enjoy the journey.
Thanks, I did get a Camco drinking hose and an addition different colored one for the blackwater rinse.

I bought the Anderson already, sewer hose; I'm not sure what brand, one came with RV but I bought another one.

Got the EMS PT50X delivered today 50 AMP. that thing is big!
Old 05-28-2018, 11:48 AM   #20

Good points mzodarg. That's a good item to have on the list. I have had a EMS PT50X for about a year and it's kept me out of expensive trouble since. Well worth the price.

'17 Coachmen Chaparral
'17 Silverado 6.6L Duramax
Retired & Full Timer
KI4OVB
68 Whiskey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
first time