Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-08-2014, 09:28 PM   #21

Jenner, hope you'll love seasonal as much as we do. We'll be 2nd year seasonal campers this year. It is so nice to just drive up, turn on the water, put out the awning and start camping. Not much else I can add that others haven't mentioned already. As others said, we leave the sliders out all season and pull in the awning and turn off the water before we leave. Have fun and enjoy!
IllinoisCheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 05:33 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiscampsin View Post
We leave our slides out all season too, and wash the rig and roof twice during the season. I also apply some Aerospace 303 to the slide seals after washing it. We pull our awning in if it gets nasty and every time we go home, as you know it can get rather gusty in Wisconsin without much warning. We turn off the water when we go home too. We leave propane on all summer in case of power outage so fridge switches over automatically. We have a 100 lb tank that we rent for $1 a year from a local LP dealer that fills it when empty. You might want to look into a surge protector, Progressive Industries is the brand of choice around here. We leave a roof vent cracked open about an inch when we leave. One other thing we did is park the tires on PT 2x10's but I put some roof shingles between the tires and boards. You'll probably need/want a shed. The Rubbermaid ones from Menards are nice but whatever size you think you need increase it by a couple feet in width and depth. You'll be surprised how much stuff you can accumulate after a couple seasons. Once you get settled post some pics of your site.

x2 on the roof vent, shed and 2x10 's 😉
heavynlori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 06:18 AM   #23

Jenner,Welcome! Your (Keystone) uses a different Mfg.awning than most F/R elect awning. Most of our (A&E) elect.can be supported by adding Poles. Do a search on this site under (OC awning support) and that will supply lots of Info. Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 08:21 AM   #24

Wiscampsin, what's the reason for the shingles between the 2x's and the tires?

Jenner, my wife wanted the big globes as well. No thanks . Here is something you might enjoy. http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...hts-23039.html I originally put mine right on the awning roller and rolled it right up with the awning. I ended up not liking that so much and mounted it right on the side of the camper and directly under the awning (I have two sets running).
Old 04-09-2014, 08:37 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by travyp View Post
I read somewhere that exposing the tires long term to the chemicals in the PT wood could, I repeat could, have an adverse effect on the rubber.
Wiscampsin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 09:37 AM   #26

Lots of good advice here and other forums. Do your slide outs have toppers? If so make sure they drain if leaving the slides out all season.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forest River Forums mobile app

2012 F250 Super Duty
2013 Sabre 33CKTS
BuckeyeChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 04:30 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by travyp View Post

Jenner, my wife wanted the big globes as well. No thanks . Here is something you might enjoy. http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...hts-23039.html I originally put mine right on the awning roller and rolled it right up with the awning. I ended up not liking that so much and mounted it right on the side of the camper and directly under the awning (I have two sets running).
Those lights look awesome! Wish I would have waited on the "globes of death"! I was so excited last year when we bought the camper I bought them right away!
Jenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 04:34 PM   #28

Okay, another question. Does anyone have the 300 gallon waste boxes (or shitter boxes as we call them). If so, do you use PVC pipe to hook it up to the camper like putting in regular plumbing or do you use the flex hose.

Also, do most of you shower in your camper or do you use the campground shower?
Old 04-09-2014, 05:29 PM   #29

I use this RhinoFLEX Swivel RV Sewer Kit - Camco 39761 - Sewer Hoses - Camping World. I'm thinking of doing the PVC this year. We usually use the campground showers which are free, closeby and clean. We save on LP/electric by not having to heat that much water and we don't fill up our 300 in ground waste tank that fast.
Old 04-09-2014, 05:37 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiscampsin View Post
I use this RhinoFLEX Swivel RV Sewer Kit - Camco 39761 - Sewer Hoses - Camping World. I'm thinking of doing the PVC this year. We usually use the campground showers which are free, closeby and clean. We save on LP/electric by not having to heat that much water and we don't fill up our 300 in ground waste tank that fast.
Thanks! And then when you have to drain your gray water tank do you just use that hose and drain it into your waste box?
Old 04-09-2014, 07:59 PM   #31

We are buying the 300 gallon tank as well. I will hard pipe it. I do plan on showering in my camper. That's what it is there for. Much easier than packing up the clothes and soaps etc. I'm all about relaxing and not making a chore out of the easy stuff even if it costs me a few more dollars. That's the main reason I am getting the big tank. I can save $200 and get a portable to drag and dump at the dump station or I can just pay them and come pump me out once a month or so. I choose relax .
Old 04-09-2014, 08:06 PM   #32

What is the reason people don't shower in their camper? Is it just to save on pump outs?
Old 04-09-2014, 08:19 PM   #33

If I wanted to use a shower house, I would be a tent camper - my own bed and bath ...one major reason for buying the RV 😉
heavynlori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 08:23 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavynlori View Post
If I wanted to use a shower house, I would be a tent camper - my own bed and bath ...one major reason for buying the RV 😉
Very true! That is why I love these forums....to get different points of views and opinions on things such as these. Friends that we have at the same campground say to shower in the campground showers and I agreed but I guess I didn't know why I was agreeing.
Old 04-09-2014, 08:23 PM   #35

Some don't want to spend the money on the big tank and/or get pumped out as much. Just personal preference. No way is right or wrong.
Old 04-09-2014, 08:24 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenner View Post
Thanks! And then when you have to drain your gray water tank do you just use that hose and drain it into your waste box?
Yup, dump black tank first, then the 2 grey tanks to help flush the 'stuff' thru the hose. The campground furnishes the in ground tank which is pumped twice a month as part of the seasonal fee.
Old 04-09-2014, 08:24 PM   #37
Oklahoma Proud

Are most of ya'll sites with out plumbed sewer?
All the sites I've looked at had sewer plumbed. It would be a no go for me if it didn't.

MillerTime- Future Sabre Handler!!
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 08:26 PM   #38
Oklahoma Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavynlori View Post
X2- well not tents, but more hotels. I like MY OWN bath and stool.

MillerTime- Future Sabre Handler!!
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 08:27 PM   #39

I suppose some might not like the navy shower too. At the shower house you can turn it on and let it go until you are done. In the camper you will have to wet down, shut water off, soap up and then turn water on to rinse. It's not for everyone. And without a proper water pressure regulator and oxygenics shower head the rv shower is less than stellar too sometimes.
Old 04-09-2014, 08:27 PM   #40

Thanks again everyone! So it seems several of us on this thread are from WI. When does your campground open up and when will you have your first weekend at the camper? My campground is still covered in snow!!!

Tags
camping, first time