Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-07-2014, 12:03 AM   #1

First Trip in our new-to-us camper

This weekend we finally were able to pick up our new to us, 2005 Palomino Stampede 23SLSD. We purchased the camper from my aunt, who lives in Upper Michigan, and we live in East Central, Illinois, so we met in Oshkosh, Wisconsin to pick it up. Since we were so close to the Wisconsin Dells, we decided we would take the kids and the camper to the Dells. Well sometime between when my aunt left the U.P. and when we arrived at the Dells, the bathroom roof vent cover had broken and flew off. We had driven through some heavy rain, and there was a small amount of water on the floor of the camper. The maintenance guy at the campground we were staying at was nice enough to bring over a ladder so I could duct tape a garbage bag over the vent until I could get to the local RV shop.

Went down to the RV shop the next morning and got a few items and 2 new vent covers. Replaced both covers just to be on the safe side. Initially wasnt going to use the water system or toilet just yet, as this is the first camper we have had with on-board water and toilet. The night before we left, we decided to give it a try.

I filled the fresh water tank to get a feel how to run everything, but we didn't use the water because we needed to clean and sanitize the tank first. I read the owner's manual, but had trouble getting the water to flow without hissing and spurting. I switched over to the city hook up and it worked fine.

I gotta say, having our own bathroom was nice!

On the way home, we stopped at Camping World in Madison, WI and picked up some repair parts (new kitchen faucet, and a collapsible ladder!) and were back on the road home.

Got the camper home and installed the new faucet today and some of the minor repairs and tested the fresh water system again today and it seems to be working fine. We will be taking a short trip in about 10 days and can't wait!
Old 08-07-2014, 04:55 AM   #2

Be careful, upgrades and "fixes" are very addictive congratulations and have fun
Kuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 07:40 AM   #3

Welcome and enjoy your new to you camper.
You may want to add MaxAir covers to your vents. That way you can tow your unit with the vents open or open them when it is raining for fresh air.

Paul
Big Dog House On Wheels
2013 Coachmen Freelander 28QB
on 2012 Chevrolet 4500
Using FR app

on 2012 4500 Chevrolet Chassis
Paul
B D HOWie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 08:22 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by B D HOWie View Post
Welcome and enjoy your new to you camper.
You may want to add MaxAir covers to your vents. That way you can tow your unit with the vents open or open them when it is raining for fresh air.
Yeah, what he says.... lol

I said no to them when i bought mine and now regret my decision.... will install in near futur!
Fun Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 09:02 AM   #5
Site Team

Welcome, you've been bitten. Enjoy it.

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camper