Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-16-2013, 01:52 AM   #21

Just do things slowly and deliberately the first couple of trips. Remember...safety is always paramount. Chock those wheels before unhitching! And don't worry about making some mistakes or feeling awkward when backing into your site ... it's all a learning curve. As we say in the sailing world ..."If you've never run aground, you've never been anywhere". Have fun.
slipf18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 06:06 AM   #22

Thanks everyone! Lots of good advice and I appreciate the encouragement. I know I can back it up since I've backed it through the gate and down my driveway twice now. It just takes me a long time since I don't have anyone to tell me if I'm about to hit anything. I get out and look a lot. It's just harder if someone is watching. I do need to remember to watch the front of the truck. I'm very excited about using all the bells and whistles for the first time. Just gotta make sure I don't burn up the water heater.

I'm only going to be out two days. Should I just leave the grey valve closed the whole time?

Hope the dog likes it. He is old now and doesn't like change.
jtintx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 08:13 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtintx View Post
Thanks everyone! Lots of good advice and I appreciate the encouragement. I know I can back it up since I've backed it through the gate and down my driveway twice now. It just takes me a long time since I don't have anyone to tell me if I'm about to hit anything. I get out and look a lot. It's just harder if someone is watching. I do need to remember to watch the front of the truck. I'm very excited about using all the bells and whistles for the first time. Just gotta make sure I don't burn up the water heater.

I'm only going to be out two days. Should I just leave the grey valve closed the whole time?

Hope the dog likes it. He is old now and doesn't like change.
Yes, you should leave your valves closed until you are ready to go. You'll want to dump your grey tank after dumping your black tank so it can flush out the dump hose. My routine is, dump black tank, use built in black tank flush until water runs clear, dump grey tank. Not sure if you have a built in black tank flush but if you do it's a good idea to hook up another hose, not your white drinking hose, and let it run until the water coming out is clear.
2013 Cardinal 3030RLS - sold
jtaylor1920 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 12:11 PM   #24

Had an old RV guy who live across the street from my folks home.
He used a front mounted (on the right side) ball hitch.

The idea being that if you are sure you have room on the right side all you need to do is look down the left side and push it in.
He would push his trailer in to his back yard from the alley.
Old 09-17-2013, 12:24 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwannacamp View Post
Mmmm. I had my first trip a couple weeks ago. I was so upset and nervous about the parking. When we got to the local lake the spot reserved was in the middle of a bunch of trees. I have a four door short bed dodge truck and a 5th wheel trailer...well you know what happen. Cab damage...mmm. I wasn't real happy with the new look of my truck. Fortunately, no damage to our trailer. Funny part is...I just paid the truck off. Mmmm. A few days later I had a rattle when I shut the front drivers door. Mmmm. Maybe I will learn I have backed trailers quite a bit, but I was very nervous about this job at hand. Next trip(in a couple weeks) I will be more selective about the campsite parking angles and obstacles around it. We actually went and looked this weekend and my wife marked the best looking spaces in the areas we liked. Maybe we can get one of those.

Maybe this won't happen to anyone else. I am installing a 5th wheel with slide. The previous owner had installed a gooseneck adapter. I thought cool. This is good. I did some reading and discover maybe not so cool. Then the cab debts. Mmm. I guess I will have to take care of that.
Same thing almost happened to me a couple of weeks ago. Backing into a site at a campground where we vist often....the trailer was going right where I wanted it....until I noticed that a tree was about two inches from my driver's side window. I almost straightened up right into it because of concentrating too much on the trailer and not paying attention to where the truck was going.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 12:41 PM   #26

After the first trip most of the jitters go away even us vets on here still make rookie mistakes
iceblaze580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 12:42 PM   #27

My first time this past summer, the spot at the campground had a very uneven approach, uphill, with a lot of trees......hmmm. what helped the most was putting it in 4-low. That allowed me to go slower, without the risk of wheelspin. there was a little driveline binding, but not bad.
TT 2014 Rockwood Roo 183
TV 2012 Nissan Armada
EricInColorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 02:12 PM   #28

I have walkie talkies... And didn't take them. I bet they go next time. I didn't think about the cell phone deal. It's a pretty good way from the cab to the back of the trailer. Mmm. Too far I guess

I learned a costly "valuable" mistake. Now my truck has a hickey on it....least the trailer is ok.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 03:18 PM   #29

I'm happy to report that the shake-out trip was a success. Didn't even have to back into the site...it was a pull thru! That sure made it easy. Once I got home I got it backed down the driveway in record time. Think I might be getting the hang of this. Need to start planning the next trip now. Again, thanks for all the help and encouragement...this newbie needed it!
jtintx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 03:44 PM   #30

Excellent!!!
Old 09-18-2013, 03:50 PM   #31

Bet your pooch liked it too.
Old 09-18-2013, 05:02 PM   #32
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtintx View Post
I'm happy to report that the shake-out trip was a success. Didn't even have to back into the site...it was a pull thru! That sure made it easy. Once I got home I got it backed down the driveway in record time. Think I might be getting the hang of this. Need to start planning the next trip now. Again, thanks for all the help and encouragement...this newbie needed it!
Congrats - just one little word of caution - Please don't become complacent after just one trip or any amount of trips now.

There is always some tree branch, lower than normal power pole, or something out there waiting to bite you next time.

Remember Murphy is always waiting to snare you
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 07:37 PM   #33
Site Team

Congrats you Da Man!! One trip down and a lot more to go! BE SAFE!

Zelda the campin dog
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 07:25 PM   #34
rip

Glad you had a good first trip. Start your check-list to fit your particular trailer?

I still use mine, keeps me focused. Also have one for what to pack in the fridge.

Like most of living, each new experience builds upon the last. Keep having fun.
+ 2002 Ford F-250 7.3L 4X4
rip is offline   Reply With Quote