Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-03-2015, 02:48 PM   #1

Fishing rod storage

Just ordered our new fifth wheel. Going to be full timing and just wondering...where do I store my fishing tackle? Mainly the rods. Any good tips or tricks? Longest rod is 7'11". And almost all are 1 piece. Except the fly rods. Maybe 30 rods in total.
rblake39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 02:55 PM   #2

Which 5th Wheel did you get (I hope it is the biggest one FR sells )
I travel with 6 fly rods but they are all kept in cases under the bed

This probably will not help you that much but a friend of ours owns a Toy Hauler and he installed a fishing rod rack in his basement - but it was only made to hold 6 rods. Maybe you could figure out something like that for your 5er?

You *may* have to downsize
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 02:57 PM   #3

Wow - that's some serious tackle!

For my 3 rods (including a Micky Mouse and a Dora the Explorer), I put small eye screws into the "ceiling" of my pass through storage area, spread open the eyes enough to allow the rods to slide in. Keeps them up and out of the way, but I don't think it is viable for the quantity you're looking at.

Maybe the good ole PVC fence post cover that is usually used for poop tube storage - could put a lot of rods in one of those, but organizing them would be difficult/impossible.

Happy fishing!
ProPride Hitch
purduepete97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 03:02 PM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Lol i have 7 rods and I can fish for about anything!
Including muskie.

I'd look into hanging "some" of them from the basement ceiling.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 03:02 PM   #5
Site Team

If you don't store reels intact, you could build one of the square fence post sewer hose holder mods and store a good number of rods in there. Then you could store the reels in a partitioned tote in the pass-thru. If you do store them reels intact, you might be able to build something in the top of the pass thru to hold them if there's a large enough area.

It's going to be a challenge to find a large enough area to store that many rods if you leave the reels on them.
Old 11-03-2015, 03:03 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by purduepete97 View Post
Wow - that's some serious tackle!

Maybe the good ole PVC fence post cover that is usually used for poop tube storage - could put a lot of rods in one of those, but organizing them would be difficult/impossible.

Happy fishing!
Actually, that's a pretty good idea IF you could find a place to mount them.

Now I am just throwing this out for discussion but...they make underbody sewer storage tubes - I think the longest is just over 7' They are meant to withstand road abuse -- maybe you could mount a few of these under your fiver to store your tackle?
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 03:15 PM   #7

I'm in the middle of taking all the reels off right now. I'm thinking 2 4'' pvc tubes might do it. And the ones I use most often mounted in the basement storage. And TURBS, little known secret...Hands down the best Musky fishing I've found is right here in New Jersey. I kid you not. Fishing bass tournaments their the bane of my existance. We spend half the day re tieing baits because of them. In one lake near my house you can cruise the shallows and cast to as many as you want. Up to 50" or so.
Old 11-03-2015, 03:26 PM   #8
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by rblake39 View Post
I'm in the middle of taking all the reels off right now. I'm thinking 2 4'' pvc tubes might do it. And the ones I use most often mounted in the basement storage. And TURBS, little known secret...Hands down the best Musky fishing I've found is right here in New Jersey. I kid you not. Fishing bass tournaments their the bane of my existance. We spend half the day re tieing baits because of them. In one lake near my house you can cruise the shallows and cast to as many as you want. Up to 50" or so.
Suggest getting the 5" square pvc tubes, maybe 3 or 4 of them and use one or 2 with a pvc gutter in them for reels.
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 03:49 PM   #9

Thanks guys. I'm going to go look at the 5" fence posts. We are going to be stationary in Florida for a few years. Joining a local bass club. I've been tournament fishing here in Jersey almost all my life. Every rod serves a different purpose just as a carpenters tools do. Thats why the "serious" tackle. Also tackle for tarpon, redfish, shark and whatever else swims out there. Thanks for all the ideas.
Old 11-03-2015, 05:39 PM   #10

If the rods are your pride and joy be sure to wrap them before putting them in the fence post. They will move around going down the road and the finish will be gone in no time.
wvcampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 06:30 PM   #11

Have you ever had 20 rods in one rod locker and another 10 or 15 strapped to your front deck on your bass boat doing 65 to 70 miles an hour in 20 mile an hour winds on Lake Champlain or the Hudson river trying to make weigh in on time? Compared to that, rattling around in an RV aint nothin.
Old 11-03-2015, 07:56 PM   #12
Site Team

My brother strapped 2 4" PVC pipes in the top of his storage so he can slide rods into them. The door keeps them in place when closed. He puts 2-3 rods in each in individual rod socks. 6" pipe can hold more. Good luck and happy angling.🐠🐡🐬🐟🐋🐳

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 05:57 PM   #13

Wow, you are one serious fishing fanatic!

I tow with a cargo van for a reason. It has a lot of storage space. I even made overhead rod holders that can hold up to 8 rods. We do tow a boat at times so the van really comes in handy.
tosh99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
storage