Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-16-2018, 09:35 PM   #1
Green Horn

Flood lights/spot lights

How many of you work nights and find yourself pulling into camp sites in the dark.
We just bought our first Rv and this would be our normal set up. ( like a 3am arrival),Does anyone have lights attached to the bottom and rear, so all you needed to do was from inside your cab you could light up the area you are backing into.

I was thinking having 2 on passenger side, 2 driver side, 2 on rear bumper with each set on it's own switch inside the cab
kevin211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 09:48 PM   #2
2007 WildCat 32QBBS

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin211 View Post
How many of you work nights and find yourself pulling into camp sites in the dark.
We just bought our first Rv and this would be our normal set up. ( like a 3am arrival),Does anyone have lights attached to the bottom and rear, so all you needed to do was from inside your cab you could light up the area you are backing into.

I was thinking having 2 on passenger side, 2 driver side, 2 on rear bumper with each set on it's own switch inside the cab
I do have 2 LED spots at the back bumper. I have the aimed down low to illuminate the ground.
Coming to a campground at 3a.m. is bad enough, start throwing around a bunch of light walking up your weekend neighbors and you're going to get some dirty looks. Or even a 7.a.m. wake up call.[emoji6]
Click image for larger version

Name:	20151203_212111.jpeg
Views:	461
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	193153
18CrewDually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 09:53 PM   #3

Quote:

You would make a great neighbor and very popular at the campground............ you would be lucky if all you got was a 7AM wake up call............

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 10:47 PM   #4
Professional Curmudgeon

My wife holds a flashlight so that I can see where she is standing and watches the back of the camper. Haven’t needed any other lights.
BTW, many campgrounds won’t let you check in after 10:30.
wrvond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 11:33 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05CrewDually View Post
I do have 2 LED spots at the back bumper. I have the aimed down low to illuminate the ground.
Coming to a campground at 3a.m. is bad enough, start throwing around a bunch of light walking up your weekend neighbors and you're going to get some dirty looks. Or even a 7.a.m. wake up call.[emoji6]
Attachment 193153

As for me I would prefer the lights to to the loud exhaust many diesels have. When I sleep my eyes are closed and the light doesn't bother me but for some reason noisy trucks and motorhomes wake me right up. And of course there are those who don't just pull in and shut down, they have to leave the engine running for a half hour after they arrive.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 12:08 PM   #6
RV There Yet?

I have one made by blazer international (see link below) that plugs directly into my 7 way plug. it comes on when im in reverse. if you flip the switch you can have it on when the parking lights come on. i leave it on back up only. the backup lights on my pickup leave a lot to be desired. this works great. its down low, nice and bright, can be removed if needed and is under $20. i have a nice big light bar on the front of the truck if i really need the light. that is reserved for emergency use or at the farm/off road only.

https://www.amazon.com/Blazer-C2080-...2B7%2Bpin&th=1
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0593.jpg
Views:	341
Size:	457.5 KB
ID:	193175   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0594.jpg
Views:	344
Size:	356.7 KB
ID:	193176  
IsleDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 12:39 PM   #7

My TT happens to have scare lights on each side that I can reach inside and turn on which helps a lot
jeff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 05:20 PM   #8

For someone that comes in at 3am with a lot of lights and noise will get woke up at 6am with a diesel truck and a barking dog
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 05:33 AM   #9
Green Horn

ok ok since 3am is a bad time, i'll give everyone till 4am...lol, It does suck having to work till midnight or later, Just curious
kevin211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 05:38 AM   #10

One of my favorite features on my Silverado is the LED backup lights on the tow mirrors. Those things could light up a football field. While there are many other, more significant options on my truck, these lights are my favorite.

Bruce
Old 12-18-2018, 08:09 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad297 View Post
One of my favorite features on my Silverado is the LED backup lights on the tow mirrors. Those things could light up a football field. While there are many other, more significant options on my truck, these lights are my favorite.

Bruce
Son has those on his HighCountry. They are awesome !!!
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 08:19 AM   #12

most campgrounds and rv parks aren't going to even let you check in, much less set up, at such a ridiculous hour - most close the gate at maybe 9pm, or even sooner.
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 08:43 AM   #13

I have two 2300 lumen led light bars. One mounted vertically on each side of the trailer and the very front. They light up both sides of the trailer and everything behind that I can see. I have contemplated adding one to the rear but haven’t had a need. They are controlled via a remote control I keep in the cab.

I live in a crowded subdivision with lots of on street parking. I use them to zig zag in and out at 4 am when I’m leaving to go hunting. Also use them to back into campgrounds when it’s dark.

I have yet to have someone complain but I am normally showing up 9-10 pm. They also make decent work lights to help setup.
quicky06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 09:06 AM   #14

Backup lights mount on the trailer easily

Fog lights project a flat, wide beam so I mounted a pair of ordinary fog lights in the rear bumper of my Roo. Replaced the bulbs with LEDs after a couple of years but they've been on at least a dozen seasons. The center pole of the Bargman outlet on a truck is typically back up lights and that wire is in the power cord but is taped off at the junction box. It's the Yellow wire. One wire from the junction box and a ground screw at each light. If that wire is missing a new cord is inexpensive.

To avoid looking like a UFO landing in the dark I just use 2 or 3 small flashlights to mark the drive I'm backing into. Can usually nail it in one pass (or 3 or 8 ).

Since these are backup lights they warn vehicles behind me in the event I need to back the trailer anywhere.

-- Chuck
Chuck_S is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 09:13 AM   #15

Here are some pictures of my lights. Don’t have any in the dark but they are very effective.

As a side not I’m actually looking at mounting another one in my outside tv mount because I grill under that and most of the time I am grilling dinner at night. Would be useful and they are cheap
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	F292A40D-1D84-4349-8F10-1DF16050ED2B.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	456.9 KB
ID:	193211   Click image for larger version

Name:	859D3C39-C3E8-4425-B999-4A46CB83F57E.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	599.6 KB
ID:	193212  
quicky06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 09:32 AM   #16
Pickin', Campin', Mason

As mentioned, you won't get many Christmas cards by pulling into a campsite at that hour.

If that hour is your ONLY option, placing flashlights on the ground at the site corners helps. (to mark your site) Keep any other lights low and aimed towards the ground.

Don't have a helper waving a flashlight and yelling... "Mon-back... Mon-back... Whoa!"
Use walkie-talkies or cell phones and talk quietly.

If at all possible pull in/back in, don't unhitch and don't hook up any amenities until morning.

Run off the battery(ies) and fresh tank/pump until daylight and then go about your regular business.

If you are camping at a boondocking location where no one else is around, there are hundreds of super bright LED options that will light up a parking spot like Atlanta International Airport.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 05:45 PM   #17

Quote:

Although we have a minivan towing an A-frame, the issues of arriving after dark are the same. Backing the A-frame is a little tougher, being a single axle.

The first time we had an arrival after dark (it was about 10PM) was in a Texas State Park. We had called ahead - about 4:30PM - to check on rules for late arrival, gate closure, and site assignment (if any). Calling ahead is now our standard practice.

We pull up on the road (we usually get back-in sites, pull-throughs generally get taken by the big boys), get out with flashlights and walk the site deciding where to put the A-frame. Once decided, wife stands with flashlight pointed to ground where driver side back corner goes. I back the rig in, hopefully straight the first time. The A-frame has a tongue light which is pretty useful during setup after we are parked. If we do a lot more night setups, I may rig up some battery powered closet lights for the outside storage compartments (probably a good mod to do anyway).

If the site is reasonably level, we stay hitched up for the night. I still chock the wheels. I usually lower the tongue jack like a stabilizer for a little more stability. The stabs stay up. If weather warrants air conditioning, I'll hook up the power cable. In our old A-frame, had to shift the fridge from battery to gas or AC. In our new A-frame, I can tow on propane so no switching required.

Set up the A-frame (5 min, just the porch light and interior night light is sufficient light for setup) and get some shut-eye.

If we are not leaving in the morning, I'll unhitch, put down stabilizers, and hook up electric, water, and sink drain as needed. Put out chairs, put up picnic shelter as desired/needed, and get camp stove, food, and dish washing tubs at table.

Minimal work, fuss, and disturbance if arriving after dark is how we roll.

Fred W
2019 Flagstaff T21TBHW A-frame
2008 Hyundai minivan
camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend at a time
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light