Old 03-07-2012, 08:00 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherdep View Post
Looks like you are on the right track -
When the company I work for was trying to install booths at a particular location we had to get an engineer in that was licensed to do Nertal or something like that because the booth manufacture didnt have the cert on the booth.

I can tell you that the City of Orlando Building / permiting department can be a pain to deal with.

One of the things I noticed is this

"In absence of the original manufacturer’s installation instructions
the anchoring system shall be designed by a professional engineer or architect, licensed in the State of Florida, to comply with Manufactured Home Installation in Flood Hazard Areas, FEMA 85/September
1985, incorporated by reference above."
Yea, I saw that in there, which makes me hesitate to even bring that up to the local building dept.

I thought about just putting it in place and tying it now, but my insurance co., would cancel me in a heartbeat once they see it there without approval from building dept, and they send people around every year to check your exterior premises. Also, God forbid, if a hurricane did come through here and blow this trailer into someone else's home, I think I could be looking at some big problems.

It's starting to look like I may have to scrap my plans and just sell trailer and try to recover some of my costs. I see now that I should have checked into this whole project more thoroughly before buying it. I really had no idea that it would be so involved or expensive. I figured I would get trailer, secure it to the ground in a way that would be obviously overkill, and be done with it. Looks like common sense is not going to prevail in this case.

I'm not giving up just yet though, and will continue today to see if I can get some info that will get this thing done.

Old 03-07-2012, 08:14 AM   #12

Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
I'll assure you----------

Forest River has the Tie Down specs. Use the same outside size of your FEMA unit to obtain specs from FR for a like size TT.
I went through the same thing in Putnam County in Florida. I purchased a MFG home (AKA DOUBLE WIDE) that had been repo by the bank. When it was all said and done, I used tie down specs for a newer MFG house that was the same size (1680 SQ FT). I had it installed on a weekend lake property near Gainesville. I had to use a mobile home mover/ tie down company to anchor it to the ground. Because of the new laws for hurricanes there is a lot involved. Contact a local mobile home sales place for info for a company or the yellow pages.

All I can say is "good luck on your Endeavor"

TST Truck System Technologies TM-507SE
DAYS CAMPED 2017 66 DAYS
DAISY BOYKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 10:51 AM   #13

Hey Mike, just put everything back in it and come camping with the rest of us.

As you can see, there are a lot of good people here and we would love to have you amoung us.
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 02:25 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by rracer5 View Post
Hey Mike, just put everything back in it and come camping with the rest of us.

As you can see, there are a lot of good people here and we would love to have you amoung us.
Sounds like a lot of fun. I'm going to try again to reach Forest River for type of info I can give my local building inspector. Thank you all for the help. Sure appreciate it. Mike
Old 03-13-2012, 07:36 AM   #15

Is there anyone out there that recalls receiving any, or has tie-down (anchoring) directions when they purchased their Forest River trailer?
Old 03-13-2012, 09:21 AM   #16

If it was an rv (which it is) just parked in your yard until you take another camping trip with it, you wouldn't have to tie it down. So why do you have to tie it down to store junk in it?
edman87k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 01:37 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by edman87k5 View Post
If it was an rv (which it is) just parked in your yard until you take another camping trip with it, you wouldn't have to tie it down. So why do you have to tie it down to store junk in it?
Since I planned to use it for storage, I guess inspector wants it secured like a storage shed. Thing is, he tells me to get manufacturers' anchoring procedure, and I just received email from Forest River that there isn't any anchoring procedure for this trailer.

This isn't looking good at all here. I was thinking of getting it registered and just putting it on my property and securing it the way I feel would be good, but presents another problem. When I bought it, seller wrote me a "bill of sale", and I can't find any vin numbers on trailer, which will make it impossible to register. Do they place vin numbers in any hidden spots that anyone knows of? I'm starting to think I just wasted a lot of money.
Old 03-13-2012, 04:05 PM   #18

I wouldn't think there are any tie down proceedures as it was never meant to be tied down. There are state and local codes for strapping mobile homes as far a anchor size, spacing, etc that whoever is inspecting should know.
As for a vin number, check the protruding tongue area for a stamped vin.
You only need a tag/ registration to make it legal for use on the highway, but I know the kind of crosses the whole idea of calling it a mobile camping trailer.
I do understand your concerns with it being far enough away from property lines and such, but who said in the first place that it had to be strapped down?

edman87k5 is offline   Reply With Quote