Old 12-21-2015, 04:35 PM   #31
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Not knocking the North,just stating Facts,Why do YOU think Members from the North Go to the Winter? Youroo!!
I agree people get more sensitive to cold as they get older, but a cold winter makes you really appreciate a warm summer.

2015 Palimino Puma 295 BHSS
Anniversary Edition 5th Wheel
2006 Ford F250 Diesel
abomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 04:36 PM   #32
Originally Posted by Malabarbob View Post
We experience it several time going to the Patrick AFB Officers Club in Melbourne, FL on the Atlantic Ocean. I had to drop everyone at the door and completely cover my mouth and nose to breath after parking the car. It was unbelievably bad. You could not stay anywhere near it.
So you left the Officers Club without everyone? Youroo!!

youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 05:44 PM   #33
I live in the Ft Myers area and just a mile from the water. I'm not aware of any red tide at this time. Red tide blows in and out with the weather. It usually doesn't stick around long but if it's there on your one week vacation that's a bad deal. Lots to do that doesn't involve beaches though.
Forest River Flagstaff V-Lite 26 WRB. 2015 Ford F 250 diesel, Hensley Arrow Hitch
V-Lite Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 05:47 PM   #34
We snowbird on the East Coast, West Palm Beach. We have heard of this and it has never bothered us. DH has a slight COPD and asthama. His allergy Dr. tells him if he starts coughing, take his rescue inhaler (Pro-Air) every 4 hours. Just go and enjoy yourself, better than shoveling snow!!
2011 Chevy Silverado Diesel 2500HD
2015 Sabre 33 RETS 5th Wheel
nikita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 06:00 PM   #35
We have been here in Sarasota ,on the gulf since the first of Dec. We have not experienced any problems. Went out charter fishing , 18 miles out and back no problems then. The red tide is only in small areas, and it seems more of it is up near Tampa. Have not seen any dead fish on the beaches. I would call to the area you are planning to be in and ask.
hillsdaletc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 06:15 PM   #36
I live on the Gulf Coast. There have been minor breakouts of red tide for the past two or so months. It's much overblown IMHO. I suppose if you already have respiratory problems it might cause you problems. Other than some fish kills here and there over a 100 mile spread, it's a non-issue for most people. If there were high levels of the toxin in a specific area I'd avoid it, but it hasn't stopped me yet from getting out there.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 06:40 PM   #37
Originally Posted by KyDan View Post
Did you have any breathing issues??
Darn!! We've paid big bucks to be right on the beach for a week in Fort Myers!
Dan - Are you staying at Red Coconut?
kluza2786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 06:52 PM   #38
Georgia Frog Rally 2017
Well sounds like stay away from the ocean if you all think it's a problem. Guess if your going to escape the cold better head else where Later RJD
2015 35 FT V-Lite 30WRLIKS Diamond Package
2015 Chevy 2500 6.0 4:10 gearing.
Days camped in 2015--46
Days booked for 2016--60
Days camped in 2016 so far 51
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 07:14 PM   #39
Please stay home and I will gladly go to FL in your place.

I wish I could go but, I have an illness called a "job". Someday I wish to have your concerns about should I stay or go.

Be safe.
Bob & Michelle
2016 Ford F-250 Lariat 4x4
2015 Grey Wolf 26BH
Wobbles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 07:22 PM   #40
I live on the Texas coast near Corpus Christi. I am not sure what your dates are to be in Florida. In August, September we dealt with the red tide. Corpus had the same dead fish/breathing issues. After a couple of cold fronts it has disappeared. This was not the first time. It is caused by an algae bloom which disappears with the cooler water. I am surprised that the gulf coast of Florida still has it. But, I guess Ft Meyers has a little warmer water.
However, the dead fish may linger a bit longer. So, hopefully when you go it has disappeared. But like others have said, water is too cold to swim. There are a lot other things to do away from coast. Just keep up with red tide reports on the web.

2015 Flagstaff 26VFKS
TV - 2014 F150 Crew Cab 5.0L
WDH - 1,200 Equalizer
txredfish is offline   Reply With Quote