Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2015, 08:22 AM   #1
Site Team
 
KyDan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 6,732
Florida Red Tide- cancel trip??

Anyone concerned or changing/canceling your Florida plans due to the toxic red tide?? Looks to be pretty much up and down the gulf side.
We have relatives who live near Tampa and they are staying away from
the beach. Others we know were going to Destin area and they have chronic
respiratory issues and they may not go even tho they have a house rented for 12 weeks right after Christmas.

Red Tide - Statewide Status

and

https://tidesandcurrents.noaa.gov/hab/
__________________

__________________
Peace!
Dan & Rita D
2004 5.3L Silverado 1500 ext. cab 2WD
1999 Suzuki Intruder Motorcycle
Blue Ox WD hitch, AirLift load levelers

Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41,
2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 08:43 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Waynesville
Posts: 12,036
Dan I bet if the Weather was Normal up North,that People would Not care about the Red Tide! They are there to Escape the White Death of the North,they can just stay Out of the Red Water! Youroo!!
__________________

__________________
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 08:48 AM   #3
Site Team
 
asquared's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 10,373
I was in Florida during a red tide once. The dead fish stunk and we stayed out of the ocean but we found other things to do.
__________________
<a href=http://i62.tinypic.com/28rp645.jpg target=_blank>http://i62.tinypic.com/28rp645.jpg</a>
2014 Crew Cab Chevy Silverado 3500 4wd Duramax/Allison
2014 Sabre 34REQS-6
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 08:50 AM   #4
Site Team
 
KyDan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 6,732
Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
they can just stay Out of the Red Water!
I wish it was that easy. It's becomes airborne and can really mess up some
folks breathing. Even folks who don't have problems otherwise. Bad for pets too but we won't be bringing any 4 leg critters on this trip.
Sure would hate to go and have to wear a mask all day!!! Also causes eye irritation and DW has dry eye syndrome which might be even more a problem.
__________________
Peace!
Dan & Rita D
2004 5.3L Silverado 1500 ext. cab 2WD
1999 Suzuki Intruder Motorcycle
Blue Ox WD hitch, AirLift load levelers

Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41,
2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 08:54 AM   #5
Site Team
 
KyDan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 6,732
Quote:
Originally Posted by asquared View Post
I was in Florida during a red tide once. The dead fish stunk and we stayed out of the ocean but we found other things to do.
Did you have any breathing issues??
Darn!! We've paid big bucks to be right on the beach for a week in Fort Myers!
__________________
Peace!
Dan & Rita D
2004 5.3L Silverado 1500 ext. cab 2WD
1999 Suzuki Intruder Motorcycle
Blue Ox WD hitch, AirLift load levelers

Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41,
2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 09:04 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Waynesville
Posts: 12,036
Quote:
Originally Posted by KyDan View Post
I wish it was that easy. It's becomes airborne and can really mess up some
folks breathing. Even folks who don't have problems otherwise. Bad for pets too but we won't be bringing any 4 leg critters on this trip.
Sure would hate to go and have to wear a mask all day!!! Also causes eye irritation and DW has dry eye syndrome which might be even more a problem.
Unless people have Lived UP North during a Normal Winter,it has a Lot of Issues also in regards to Health! Breathing Air that is -30,Tear's Freezing on your eyes,removing Snow EVERY Day, Walking on ICE/Falling, they will Chance the Risk! Youroo!!
__________________
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 09:04 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
CampingGator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: North Central Florida
Posts: 925
Well, living in the state, I know that there are a lot of other things to do than go to the beach. We go maybe once a year and I would never go swimming this time of year anyway. Too cold! My parents live one mile from the gulf and we never had any respiratory problems, even that close.
__________________
_____________________________________________

2010 Ford F-150 Crew Cab
2015 Salem Hemisphere 263RL
CampingGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 09:16 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
abomb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Unless people have Lived UP North during a Normal Winter,it has a Lot of Issues also in regards to Health! Breathing Air that is -30,Tear's Freezing on your eyes,removing Snow EVERY Day, Walking on ICE/Falling, they will Chance the Risk! Youroo!!
Why do you keep knocking the north? OP is asking about red tide, not snow.
__________________
2015 Palimino Puma 295 BHSS
Anniversary Edition 5th Wheel
2006 Ford F250 Diesel
abomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 09:27 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
mcnabbwr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Lower Michigan
Posts: 1,366
Quote:
Originally Posted by KyDan View Post
Did you have any breathing issues??
Darn!! We've paid big bucks to be right on the beach for a week in Fort Myers!
We are also going to Fort Meyers in January. The google earth map link within the document you posted indicates that the bacteria isn't present in that area.
__________________
Bill & Pam
2014 Trilogy 3650RE
2015 F350 PSD
mcnabbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 09:28 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Waynesville
Posts: 12,036
Quote:
Originally Posted by abomb View Post
Why do you keep knocking the north? OP is asking about red tide, not snow.
Not knocking the North,just stating Facts,Why do YOU think Members from the North Go to Fla.in the Winter? Youroo!!
__________________

__________________
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:23 AM.