Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-14-2017, 12:49 PM   #1

Florida residency

Need advice:

* rv PRESENTLY properly registered in GEORGIA.

* all plates, GA taxes current

Going to sell our home in Georgia SOON. Want to reside in the RV in Florida for the immediate future until the right CONDO in our area comes available. We have a specific condo complex in mind.

Need advice from experience or knowledge on HOW to make this transition as
fluid as possible. We DO NOT need to be in a specific Florida COUNTY when we are in the RV. Eventually we will reside in ST JOHNS COUNTY.
SilverbackMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 05:14 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverbackMel View Post
Need advice:

* rv PRESENTLY properly registered in GEORGIA.

* all plates, GA taxes current

Going to sell our home in Georgia SOON. Want to reside in the RV in Florida for the immediate future until the right CONDO in our area comes available. We have a specific condo complex in mind.

Need advice from experience or knowledge on HOW to make this transition as

fluid as possible. We DO NOT need to be in a specific Florida COUNTY when we are in the RV. Eventually we will reside in ST JOHNS COUNTY.

This seems right up your alley. I haven't used them but lots of good info here:

https://www.sbimailservice.com/rv-special/

https://www.sbimailservice.com/becom...rida-resident/

I dropped you a private message, too. Hope his helps !
cliffn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 10:35 AM   #3

That becoming a Florida residents is excellent. It is very much like what is required in Texas. I did notice the $400 fee for first time registration and it is much less in Texas but after that first time it is not much different.
Because I have a small ranch in SE Texas I just keep Texas. We do go to the UP of MI in the summer, May thru September, and then on to Florida right after New Years. Good Luck
whj77372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 11:04 AM   #4
Always Learning

cliffn provided good links. They're what I followed back in 2016.

You'll need a Florida mail service. As linked, I like St. Brendan's Isle. They've been good to us.

We first filed an "Affidavit of Domicile" for Clay County, FL. This was registered with the clerk of courts. Additionally, we started switching all of our mailing addresses to the mail service (banks, insurances, cell phone, etc).

After that, you'll need to do the registration on your fifth wheel as it's your home. We didn't want to navigate the small DMV parking lot with our big rig, so we had a notary or sheriff (I honestly forget!) do a VIN Verification.

Once the fifth wheel registration is complete, you can then register your truck.

After both are done, we then got our driver's licenses. Our address is funky- it shows the license plate # from our fifth wheel (aka our home). You get weird looks from folks who need to see your license but no one has refused it.

Florida had a helpful website for determining what documents you needed to take:
What to Bring - Florida Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles

We went to the DMV office near St. Brendan's Isle as we assumed they would be used to dealing with fulltimers and specifically our mail service. The woman we dealt with couldn't have more kind and friendly. We literally laughed and joked the whole way through our time there. Took maybe 45 minutes from start to finish.

Easy peasy.