Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-28-2013, 05:16 PM   #1

Folding Bicycles

I am considering purchasing a folding bike for around the campground and around town. I would appreciate any words of wisdom and experiences that you might have with the bikes.

Thanks for your help.

Adrienne

2016 Flagstaff 8528CKWSA
2012 GMC Sierra 2500HD 6.0L

RalphieAdie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 05:27 PM   #2

Thumbs up

I don't have any experience with them, but Camping World has them @ 50% off this W/E.
forthefunofit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 05:42 PM   #3

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphieadie View Post
I am considering purchasing a folding bike for around the campground and around town. I would appreciate any words of wisdom and experiences that you might have with the bikes.

Thanks for your help.

Adrienne
We got one for my wife, it's called Columbia and it rides nice and stores nicely behind a recliner when we travel. Amazon.com: Columba 26" Alloy Folding Bike w. Shimano, Red Color (RJ26A_RED): Sports & Outdoors Her's is blue and well made and great for tooling around the park, or any where else for that matter. I ride a Wizwheels Terra Trike TerraTrike
We have a lot of fun with them both.

<a href=https://www.forestriverforums.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic9630_4.gif target=_blank>https://www.forestriverforums.com/att...gpic9630_4.gif</a>
Itsthetwoofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 06:24 PM   #4
Berkshire 390QS

We went to CW and tryed those real small one's. Hard to ride, would not recommend too small and handlebar did not adjust. Try before you buy.
NO3putt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 06:40 PM   #5

We ordered a couple of Citizen Barcelona bikes a few months ago. Folding Bikes by Citizen Bike

They were more expensive than the CW bikes, but not as much as Dahon or Bike Friday and many others. I think they look awesome and seem to be very sturdy. We can put two of them folded in one side of the outside storage on our Sunseeker 3010DS.

They were great fun riding around Jekyll Island last month. Can't wait for better weather so we can get out and ride more. We like the low step in style...nice for older folks who can't throw their leg over a large bike. :-)

I am also thinking of buying one of the CW 12-speed bikes that is on sale to bring along occasionally as an extra for when we have daughter or granddaughter with us. Seems to be a great buy, but I don't know much about the quality of the bike.

stonekeepers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 06:42 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itsthetwoofus View Post
We got one for my wife, it's called Columbia and it rides nice and stores nicely behind a recliner when we travel. Amazon.com: Columba 26" Alloy Folding Bike w. Shimano, Red Color (RJ26A_RED): Sports & Outdoors Her's is blue and well made and great for tooling around the park, or any where else for that matter. I ride a Wizwheels Terra Trike TerraTrike
We have a lot of fun with them both.
I see you chose a 26" instead of 20"; did you happen to try the 20" prior to purchasing the 26" bike?

Thanks,

Adrienne

2016 Flagstaff 8528CKWSA

Old 02-28-2013, 07:12 PM   #7

they are pretty cool

Quote:
I see you chose a 26" instead of 20"; did you happen to try the 20" prior to purchasing the 26" bike?

former bicycle shop owner
these folding bikes have been around for a very long time
it seems that they are very cool for what they do
in most cases
one get's what they pay for
a 26" wheel rides better than a 20"
for longer type of rides the 26" would be preferred
but
for a smaller fold up size the 20" is best for space
Mountainman
Mountainmanbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 07:23 PM   #8

Ours are 20", but we are old, short people. :-)

At Jekyll Island, we rented a 26inch cruiser for my daughter who was camping with us. I tried to ride it and found it was too big. She didn't like my little bike, so it's probably a matter of personal preference. We don't plan to do cross country biking, just tooling around campgrounds and parks. Not into speed either, comfort and space were more important for us.

stonekeepers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 08:07 PM   #9

The gold standard for folding bikes is DAHON.
SuwanneeDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 08:16 PM   #10
Denver, CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuwanneeDave View Post
The gold standard for folding bikes is DAHON.
I would give that honor to Bike Friday, which are used all over the world by long distance tourers and actually fit in a suitcase for air travel.

They are made in the USA and are really nice to ride.

If you have the money, I highly recommend them. The factory sells some refurbished units are reduced price.

You always get what you pay for.
Old 02-28-2013, 08:44 PM   #11

I wouldn't mind getting a Swissbike X70 for camping and messing around. I've heard they hold up pretty well for a full size folder.

Montague Bikes | Mountain Bike | SwissBike X70 | Folding | Folding 26 inch MTB | Travel | Bicycle
bdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 08:56 PM   #12

Thank you for all of your suggestions. Unfortunately, I'm not in a position for the higher end bikes at the moment. There is a Citizen Gotham bike in the area for sale, which I am considering.

Adrienne

2016 Flagstaff 8528CKWSA

Old 02-28-2013, 11:02 PM   #13

Smile

Quote:

Thanks,

Adrienne
Oh shoot!! I was in a rush to finish that reply and I put the wrong URL in and it brought up the 26" bike...Sorry big time. It was the 20" that my wife got. Thanks for bringing it to my attention. I think a 26" folding bike would defeat the purpose of having a folding bike. It's the 20" that is really nice.

<a href=https://www.forestriverforums.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic9630_4.gif target=_blank>https://www.forestriverforums.com/att...gpic9630_4.gif</a>
Itsthetwoofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 11:28 PM   #14

Quote:
Thank you for all of your suggestions. Unfortunately, I'm not in a position for the higher end bikes at the moment. There is a Citizen Gotham bike in the area for sale, which I am considering.

Adrienne
PM Bob (F.R.O.G.) and Cindy. She bought a folding bike last fall...had it along on the FROG trip to Las Vegas and the Grand Canyon. Says she really likes hers. I'm not 100% sure, but I think it came from CW.
2021 Chevy Silverado 3500HD DRW 4X4 Duramax
“It's not how old you are, it's how you are old.”Jules Renard
"It's not the years...it's the mileage." - Indiana Jones
Capt. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 11:30 PM   #15

We have 20in,6speed,CW bikes.4 years old,easy to ride,easy to take on trips. We dont use them for Bike competition aginst Lance Armstrong,then agin we dont take Steriods! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 01:19 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonekeepers View Post
Ours are 20", but we are old, short people. :-)

At Jekyll Island, we rented a 26inch cruiser for my daughter who was camping with us. I tried to ride it and found it was too big.
understandable
but
it is really the frame size that makes the difference

a 26" wheel with a proxy 21" frame
is good for a person with a height of around 5'2"

26" wheel with a proxy 23" frame
person around 5'8"

26" wheel with a proxy 25" frame
person 6' or over

although now days most frames come in
small medium or large

Mountainman
Mountainmanbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 02:17 AM   #17
Site Team

I really want a folding trike because of my bad knee, feet & ankles. With the folding trike from CW I can see being able to carry firewood from the campground booth and taking a ride around camp. However, right now I just can't see paying that amount of money while being unsure if I could or would use it enough for my investment. I'm going to check on bike rentals next time I'm at the beach to test ride before buying.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 05:33 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by garbonz View Post
I would give that honor to Bike Friday
They get Platinum.
SuwanneeDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 11:45 PM   #19

Quote:

Thanks for your help.

Adrienne
I just bought a folding bike from MOBIC Bikes, they are light and has a really small footprint after it has been folded. Been riding the Fusion X9 model for the last month and I have to say its exactly as advertised, light and fast. their Life X7 model might suite your needs better since it comes with a panier rack at the back in case you need to carry bags or boxes around. Check them out on Yelp as well, they have really good reviews.

Mobic Bikes, Portable Folding Bikes for Urban Lifestyles Home

Hope this helps
willhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 01:55 AM   #20
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by willhang View Post
I just bought a folding bike from MOBIC Bikes, they are light and has a really small footprint after it has been folded. Been riding the Fusion X9 model for the last month and I have to say its exactly as advertised, light and fast. their Life X7 model might suite your needs better since it comes with a panier rack at the back in case you need to carry bags or boxes around. Check them out on Yelp as well, they have really good reviews.

Mobic Bikes, Portable Folding Bikes for Urban Lifestyles Home

Hope this helps
Nice bikes! Now I want one. Any idea how much it could weigh?

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote