Old 09-08-2016, 01:33 PM   #31
we also snap off the breaker for the detached garage when we are away. there have been some questionable fires here and without power to the garage it would not be an issue of squirrels chewing wiring but some one lighting it up.

we have a great neighbor with a 12 gauge and like Eastwood ... get off my lawn is his favorite line.

2009 Heartland Sundance 31.5 XLT bunkhouse
2013 Ford F150 XTR ECOBOOST

"Of the troops - For the troops "
MilCop4523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 01:34 PM   #32
We have sensors on trailer as well when it is home

Danny and Beverly Plus Panhead (chiweenie)
2016 DOGE RAM 2500
danny4127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 01:52 PM   #33
My trailer spends so much time in the repair shop my neighbors couldn't tell if we're on the road or at home. But I guess that's not a good solution for you. I have a simple timer on a few lights to give the house a lived-in look. One neighbor also checks the house once a week and waters the plants. Am I concerned about a break-in? Yeah, but life is full of risks and there's no benefit or fun in worrying about them all the time.
DrLewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 01:53 PM   #34
Inside keyed deadbolts can be a trap if you or someone needs to exit in a hurry because of a fire or other threat. I know you can just leave a key in while you are home but soon someone will forget to replace it or remove it.
2015 Flagstaff Super V 26VFKSS Emerald
2013 RAM 2500 CC 4X4 6.7 CTD
Sold... 2013 Shadow Cruiser 260BH
raytwntrvlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 01:59 PM   #35
Originally Posted by papasqms View Post
We have one car in the driveway and I have a third car (an old clunker but still runs) that I put against the gate when we leave. No body here has mentioned this, but a long time ago a security guy told me to buy dead bolts that key both sides for all my doors. That way if someone breaks in they will still need a key to get out thru the door. So if they want to take everything out the window, have at it.
The keyed deadbolts are not something I would do for the following reason: if you have a fire in your house, say in the middle of the night...will you remember where did you put the key for the door? In a panic, you may not remember quickly enough; certainly any guests staying with you would not know either. Kind of like people that put burglar bars on their windows that cannot be disconnected from inside the house. Fire departments can't get them out quickly enough. I'll just keep my twist lock dead bolts I think.
D_B Travelers - 30 nights in 2016... so far. 54 nights in 2015. 2014 Rockwood Windjammer 3001W Diamond Pkg, 2015 GMC 3500HD CC DRW Duramax, Equalizer 14K hitch, TST 507rv TPMS.
"Happiness? A good meal, a good cigar and a good woman - or a bad woman; it depends on how much happiness you can handle."
George Burns (1896 1996)
D_B Travelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 02:26 PM   #36
We have had this discussion too. Pretty obvious when the motorhome is not in its usual spot behind the garage. We have interior lights on timers, exterior lights - some with motion detectors. We have read our insurance policy carefully and ensure that all of our requirements are met in the case of a break-in. Other than that we pay our premiums on time and enjoy our time away v

Phil, Heather & Olaf the Boxer
Ontario Canada
Lexington 283GTS
nights camped 2015-89
2016 - 31
oldsmasma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 02:30 PM   #37
House alarm. Motion sensing cameras inside and out that record and notify my cell phone. Three dogs. One of which makes Cujo look like a kitten when strangers come in the yard. The boy dosen't care for camping and is well versed in the operation of a 12 ga. Not worried at all. Plus I have awesome neighbors and we look out for each other.
Retired Fire Dept Battalion Chief
2016 Ever-Lite 232RBS
2012 F150 FX4 W/Max tow & Ecoboost

Getting old ain't for wimps!!!
Stormrider151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 02:54 PM   #38
Always let neighbors know when we are out of town. One rides his 4 wheeler across our acre lot and around the house. Same neighbor is armed to the teeth and most folks know it. Another neighbor stops by and gathers the mail and paper on his walk each day. DW sub is left in open as well.
Marriot2 on Wheels 2017 Flagstaff Classic 832 OKBS
2013 GMC Denali 6.6L 2500 HD DMAX w\Alison Trans
Pepper Pomeranian rescue 101 days as camping buddy
Days camped in FR, 2011 = 20, 2012 = 57, 2013 = 59
... 2014 = 39, 2015 = 52, 2016 = 68, 3 more planned
Retired :
satdog01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 02:56 PM   #39
I know you said no alarm, BUT around here if you alarm your residence you can take it with you when you move basically other than the wiring.(maybe a small fee) worth looking into.
PLUS I have an alarm with video monitoring on the inside front and back doors and outside of the house front door and driveway and camper pad. I can arm it remotely and view the video feeds anytime I want whether it's armed or not.
byrdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 03:08 PM   #40
Site Team
We live on 4 acres in the country but we have neighbors within 150 yards on each side. Our trailer lives in a shed behind the house but those driving down the country road can tell when it's gone IF they take the trouble to look back there. When we leave with the trailer, I send text messages to the two neighbors on each side of us. Both are conscientious and helpful. One is a canine officer at a nearby town; he often carries a .45 pistol while he mows his yard! The neighbor across the street is a patrol officer for a large suburb in the D/FW Metroplex and his wife is a dispatcher there.

We leave different patterns of lights on in the house and a radio on in one room. We have motion-detector lights outside which will turn on if someone walks past in the dark. We don't worry much about leaving.

SEARCH is your friend!
FR Wildcat 295RSX / GMC Sierra

Nights Camped: 2013 = 49 / 2014 = 74 / 2015 = 74 / 2016 = 74 (booked = 11)
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote