Old 09-08-2016, 04:11 PM   #41
2011_ChaparralLite_270RKS

Security

We were gone for six weeks earlier this year. Arranged for the dog sitter to come once a week (even though no animals were left at home), a neighbor mowed the lawn once a week. Notified the police with names of both of those people - they do vacation checks regularly for free (snow birds leave Daytona for the summer) and let my neighbor across the street know to watch the house. Which she does anyway - even tried to run us off the night my two mentors and I brought the fifth wheel home for the first time. I had neglected to let her know I had finally gotten it and there would be three trucks a trailer and four people yelling backing up directions. For shorter trips I just let the two neighbors know.

Old 09-08-2016, 04:20 PM   #42
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_B Travelers View Post
The keyed deadbolts are not something I would do for the following reason: if you have a fire in your house, say in the middle of the night...will you remember where did you put the key for the door?...)
Most people just leave a key in the inside slot. Remove it when you leave and stick it in your pocket.

Old 09-08-2016, 04:52 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Most people just leave a key in the inside slot. Remove it when you leave and stick it in your pocket.
Works good till one day when it didn't...just my opinion. I have small grandchildren, they would see it and poof, it would be gone, and you have to find the other key.
D_B Travelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 05:05 PM   #44
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_B Travelers View Post
Works good till one day when it didn't...just my opinion. I have small grandchildren, they would see it and poof, it would be gone, and you have to find the other key.
Proof positive that for every solution there is a problem.
Old 09-08-2016, 05:18 PM   #45

Away home with camper.

We have to admit 3 years ago taught about that situation. We have a protected area on the side of our house where the camper is stored so if it is gone, so are we. Someone took advantage of that on a July 4th weekend and decided to help themselves to about $8,000 worth of our home items. At that time we had tried all the tricks about lights on, car in the driveway and etc. but none of that fooled them. They used a rod pushed thru the top center of our garage door frame and release the quick release bar all garage doors have in case you have to manually open them. That was a first of hearing someone getting into a house that way. Needless to say we have a complete alarm system, all ground level entries hard wired and any other entries above ground level not have solid 3/8" rod pieces stopping the windows from opening. We have great neighbors, including a local police force Lt., but it appears they hit quick and had the garage door to close behind them so no one could see them from the street. The low lifes also used our commode and did not bother to flush. NOW REALLY THAT JUST TOOK THE CAKE. Can only say just make sure you have a complete alarm system as the camper gone, and your TV at the same time, gives them all they need to know.
Old 09-08-2016, 05:23 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Proof positive that for every solution there is a problem.
Amen my brother!
Old 09-08-2016, 05:27 PM   #47

The DW and I pretty much decided that IF we were ever fortunate enough to live were we could put the RV on the property, it would have to be a full garage so you could not tell if the RV was or wasn't there. Cheap to do...if you are just dreaming of course.
I am still envious of those that have theirs close by home to load and unload, instead of making 5 trips with the vehicles back and forth carrying camping gear and food stuffs up to the storage lot.
Old 09-08-2016, 05:33 PM   #48

The thought has crossed mind, but my mother lives with us and is home 98% of the time we are away.

Also we have neighbors who watch out for each other. We have talked about security systems in the past but have yet to invest in it yet.
Old 09-08-2016, 05:34 PM   #49

I use a chamberlain Smart Phone garage door controller with MyQ and light controllers. I always wonder, "Did I close the garage door?" With this app I can check and shut it.

https://www.amazon.com/Chamberlain-C...hamberlain+myq
Old 09-08-2016, 06:12 PM   #50

we know our neighbors, they are friends. we help them, they help us.
When we are gone, if something unusual happens they call the Sheriff. This works the way it is supposed to!

2012 Wildcat Sterling 32RL
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT Diesel
TST TPMS system w/ Flow-thru sensors
2001 Cougar 281 EFS (sold)
DouglasReid is online now   Reply With Quote