Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-07-2016, 08:21 PM   #1

For those that store your RV at home, do you worry about people noticing you are gone?

We just upgraded to a 24' TT, before that we had a 10 foot popup camper that I stored in the garage. Obviously the travel trailer won't fit in my garage, so it goes in the backyard.

I don't really know many people in my small town besides my neighbors, I just tend to keep to myself. But, I do realize I stick out like a sore thumb. I'm a big guy (6'4", 300lbs) so I get noticed easily. And I have twin daughters whom everyone seems to know for some reason. I also make more than average for my area. I'm not flashy by any means, I drive base model vehicles. But, well, clearly there is a TT in my backyard, and 2 nice 2-3 year old vehicles in my driveway. Compared to the rust buckets other people drive, I look like I'm rolling in it.

Anyways, I went to the gas station this morning on the way to work to get something to drink and I ran into my barber. Nice guy. Him and some other guy thats always there in the morning were jabbin' at me about how easy my job is, and how I'm always taking vacation. Then the other guy said something like "yeah, now that you got that nice big camper in your back yard."

Crap! I didn't even think about people noticing that.

Do you worry about your house being broken into while you are gone?

I don't have a security system, and I don't really want to install one because we only plan on living here maybe another year to 18 months while my wife job hunts and we move to a better area.

On a whim, I picked up a set of fake security cams on amazon

https://www.amazon.com/WALI-Surveill.../dp/B01940JPLQ

I'll point one at each door, the driveway, and the camper and make them look super obvious.

Is this something I should really worry about?
lugoismad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 08:33 PM   #2

I have often thought about that. If the trailer is gone, we are obviously not home. Luckily, where I live we have good neighbors and everyone watches out for each other. The security signs are a good idea. I will be watching this thread to see if anyone has any more ideas.
Old 09-07-2016, 08:37 PM   #3

When gone leave 1 car in the middle of the driveway. Buy a couple of timers that randomly turn on/off lights at night. Motionsensored LED floods in front and/or back. Put valuables away/safe/with you.

But most of all, just enjoy camping!
DutchRv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 08:39 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by klrobert View Post
I have often thought about that. If the trailer is gone, we are obviously not home. Luckily, where I live we have good neighbors and everyone watches out for each other. The security signs are a good idea. I will be watching this thread to see if anyone has any more ideas.
Yeah. My neighbors are decent. One guy is dumber than a box of hammers, flys his rebel flag in Ohio, and likes to get up in your face about it. But, he's harmless.

Other guy is pretty decent. When he saw I'd got the TT he asked if he could have my cell phone number and told me he'd call if he saw we were gone and he saw anything weird going on.
Old 09-07-2016, 08:40 PM   #5

One trick is to have a friend or neighbor park their car or truck in your driveway. Moving it a few times a week is even better.

Don't forget timers for the interior lights. One for the TV or stereo is also good.

Disclaimer: The actual value of my "Two Cents" of advice varies just like a bitcoin.
Bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 08:40 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchRv View Post
When gone leave 1 car in the middle of the driveway. Buy a couple of timers that randomly turn on/off lights at night. Motionsensored LED floods in front and/or back. Put valuables away/safe/with you.

But most of all, just enjoy camping!
Yeah, my work car stays home. Good idea on parking it in the middle of the driveway.

I have a timer. I was thinking about buying one of those fake TV things? https://www.amazon.com/AVANTEK-Simul.../dp/B01DTRJUHY Has anyone used one before? We have blackout curtains on most of our windows except the front door, which has built in mini-blinds. I'd aim it at the front door, I guess.
Old 09-07-2016, 08:44 PM   #7
WFD

It is what it is....not a lot you can do about it other than securing your home as best you can. We have the home alarm system and if anyone breaks in and does a lot of damage or takes enough to warrant a claim, then that's why I have house insurance...yes I think about it, but don't lose sleep over it.
If you are that concerned about it, don't waste your time with fake cameras and install the real thing. They aren't that expensive.
Old 09-07-2016, 08:44 PM   #8

When we leave one of the vehicles always in the driveway remains. One of my adult children stay at the house with a large mean dog. Anyone gets near the house and the dog alarm goes off. Anyone getting in the house that dog will make a meal of before my kid can pull the hammer back on the .357. No~~~ if I were to worry it would be for any fool coming in and the mess that would need cleaned.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 08:48 PM   #9
DW's 401(k) Plan

#1 - Youngest son (in his 20's) still lives at home and rarely goes camping with us
#2 - call me paranoid (okay, you're paranoid!) but I have actual working cameras outside my house which I can access through my smartphone as long as I have a cell signal
#3 - call me paranoid again (PARANOID!) but I also have a security system which I can also access with my smartphone.

Cameras came in handy last year when outfit sealing my driveway (while we were camping) did a lousy job. I have it all on video. They never charged me for it.

Also, #2 & #3 can be removed and reinstalled wherever I move to. They were relatively inexpensive and have given my wife and son a huge amount of peace of mind. My neighbors are great, but when the one across the street called last week and inquired about my security system, I advised him we've had that sign up for almost 2 years. He just noticed it. And it FACES HIS HOUSE!!!

"Sunny" the 2017 Sunseeker 3010DS
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
.... and lovin' life........MOST of the time.
DaGrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 08:59 PM   #10

We are lucky to live in a small town in Western Ma Before we go off camping I will go to the police station and fill out a form that lets them know when we are leaving and returning and who has permission to be on the property . They check all the doors once each shift .( three times a day ) All it cost is a dozen donuts and a note of thanks from us .
campingbaba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 09:05 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by campingbaba View Post
We are lucky to live in a small town in Western Ma Before we go off camping I will go to the police station and fill out a form that lets them know when we are leaving and returning and who has permission to be on the property . They check all the doors once each shift .( three times a day ) All it cost is a dozen donuts and a note of thanks from us .
Thats not a bad idea. The retired chief of police lives 2 doors down from me, and is a good guy. He helped a friend of mine get a court date moved after he got a speeding ticket because his court date was his first day of work at a new job. I may go talk to him and see where to drop some donuts off at.
Old 09-07-2016, 09:05 PM   #12

I have insurance take what you want, I like buying new things.
Signguy71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 09:30 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Signguy71 View Post
I have insurance take what you want, I like buying new things.
I have insurance but hate a thief. Take from me and may become bold enough to take from someone that a loss would hurt. I just like teaching a thief a hard lesson. Besides, that dog eats a lot and one less meal I have to provide ~~
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 10:25 PM   #14

I live a mile from the nearest neighbors, but pay a family friend to check on the house twice a day and feed the pets we leave behind. I don't worry about the absence of the trailer being a green light for thieves.
Velosprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 10:31 PM   #15

For those that store your RV at home, do you worry about people noticing you are gone?

I also store my TT in my open backyard. If I worried about people noticing I am gone, I would never get away.

I live in a small town as well ( pop. 1300 ). I don't worry about people knowing I am gone as I have a few good neighbors whom I have gotten to know since moving here 3 years ago, and we watch out for each others property when either of us are away. The way it should be.

I don't worry about what others drive or how much others make, or even my being 6'2" 250lbs. and sticking out in the crowd. Most people I know are comparable to my stature. It's all irrelevant to the cause. Just being neighborly here.

As for the security cameras, I feel I would insult my neighbors by installing them. They are not needed here. Now, if I lived in an area where I KNEW I needed them, well then that's a whole different story. Just my opinion, of course.

Best of luck to you.

2023 Flagstaff 206STSE
2019 Flagstaff HW29SC ( sold )
2017 Salem Cruise Lite 232RBXL ( sold )
2014 Ford 150 XLT 5.0 2wd
Briorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 11:13 PM   #16

Yep... everybody that knows us, or scopes out our house, knows when we are gone... which is often. So...

We have an excellent retired neighbor that has more cameras than Carters has little pills. He even tells us when our paper is delivered every day or when stray cats leave a deposit in the south forty He and his wife watch everything better than any alarm system.. which can be good and bad. My wife no longer fetches the paper in her pajamas

We have one outside camera and a monitored alarm system.

We have remote controlled lights, some on timers.

And usually when we leave, we forget all the above and just have fun We figure if they really want in, they will do it.

Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 11:15 PM   #17

I purchased a SimpliSafe home alarm. Monitoring is only $14.00 a month and there is no contract. You have to buy the alarm equipment, but it's not that expensive and you can custom design your system. I set the whole thing up in 30 minutes and whenever we leave we arm it and take off with little worries. I also installed video cameras, those were more expensive and it took me about 10 hours to run cabling. I primarily installed the cameras to watch the camper and truck while we're home.
2013 Cardinal 3030RLS - sold
jtaylor1920 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 06:44 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtaylor1920 View Post
I purchased a SimpliSafe home alarm. Monitoring is only $14.00 a month and there is no contract. You have to buy the alarm equipment, but it's not that expensive and you can custom design your system. I set the whole thing up in 30 minutes and whenever we leave we arm it and take off with little worries. I also installed video cameras, those were more expensive and it took me about 10 hours to run cabling. I primarily installed the cameras to watch the camper and truck while we're home.
We like SimpliSafe also. Have one of their entry sensors on camper door for when it IS at home.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 07:32 AM   #19
Racin

Quote:
Originally Posted by klrobert View Post
x2
Old 09-08-2016, 07:39 AM   #20
DDC

Good neighbours and alarm system that is monitored, timed lights but there is only so much you can do, if someone want in then in they will get.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote