Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-29-2015, 01:31 PM   #1

For those wanting to Travel To Mexico

It's not a FROG Caravan - but if you really want to go, might as well go with a organized established group:

This is from my most recent Escapees Newsletter and is posted for info only (no need to discuss merits)

February 6 - 16, 2016
The Mexican Connection, Chapter 8, is going to Puerto Penasco, Mexico! The pre-rally begins at Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument in Ajo, Arizona, February 3, 2016. On February 6, we will travel to The Reef RV Park at Sandy Beach in lovely Puerto Penasco. We have reserved 31 beachfront sites and 29 off-beach sites for our 10-day stay. All sites are roomy and have full hookups. The park roadways are ample for moving around the largest rig. There are two nice restaurants adjacent to the park, and they will be venues for our "Welcome Dinner/Margarita Fiesta" on our arrival day, and for our farewell dinner on February 15, 2016.

There is much to see and do in Puerto Penasco, often referred to as Rocky Point. We have a variety of activities for you to select from, including a sunset cruise, a city tour, a tag-along trip to El Pinacate Biosphera Resrve, an off-road trip for four-wheeler enthusiasts, a trip to the estuary oyster farm, a cooking class and golf at a Mayan Palace. And you will have a lot of time on your own to discover your own personal Puerto Penasco.

Chapter 8 also makes important contributions to local charities in our host town. Our charity chair, Margaret Jenia, will be compiling a list of items we can bring to the rally for material contributions. We hold an auction at the rally with items donated by our members to raise cash contributions for local charity.

Rally registration is now open, and spaces are limited. Receive updates via e-mail by request to 2016rallyonthebeach@gmail.com. Come with us to the Rally on the Beach!

Larry and Orene Brown #101569, Wagon Masters

Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 01:44 PM   #2

I'm heading to that part of Mexico in Dec. Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance. Kathy
waterwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 04:02 PM   #3

Puerto Penasco Mexico is also called Rocky Point and is a great and safe travel destination just south of the Arizona border 70 miles.
Every year in March I and a group of friends travel down there for a 2 week stay on the beach. We have used The Reef RV Park is just a few miles out of town a few miles which is nice and quiet in the evening. The spaces are large with full hookups and wifi.

If you have thought about going this is a great chance to do it with a group. Yes it is safe and the Police and Military is always there to insure that. So taker a chance and check out the Mexican culture as everyone there is friendly and appreciate you coming.

If anyone has and questions just ask away.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 04:20 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterwoman View Post
I'm heading to that part of Mexico in Dec. Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance. Kathy
Is you are crossing at Lukesville Border crossing which is better than the one south of Tucson. We usually drive to Why Arizona and dry camp the night at the Texaco gas station. They usually allow that for our group.
You can buy Mexican insurance at that gas station which is mandatory in Mexico. Being I have a motorhome and tow a car I just get insurance for the motorhome for 1 day driving in and 1 day driving out. My car I get for my 2 weeks and that runs about $100 for both. Also you can top off your fuel tank there at the Texaco station.
Fuel in Mexico is available and around $3 a gallon but in liters.

Credit cards can be used but I usually bring US dollars. I use a CAP1 card which has no fees attached so whatever the Peso is at the end of the day that is what the CC will charge you. Presently you get 19 pesos to a US dollar. This is a good rate for us.
In the past I have paid 12 pesos to a dollar.

All souvenirs you buy haggle over the price or you will be taken.
Know your exchange rate before going out shopping.
US dollars get you a big smile and you should get a better deal than pesos.
T Shirts you can get 3 for $15 US. You buy 1 it may cost you $10 US. So plan a good deal.

Food is regularly available at a few supermarkets. We like a place call Super Lei. Yes they take US dollars if you want at a fair exchange rate.
You won't have any frozen packaged foods and meet is not the level you would be used to. I would bring your drinks, soda for your period of time and you can buy water down there in bottles from the Sam's club there in town.

If you have any pets make sure you have a copy of the latest shot records in case you get stopped at the border crossing into Mexico. They stop every so many vehicles just as a formality.
They may enter your rig and look inside the refrigerator/freezer and if they find any open meat or fruit they may take it. No big deal.
If you have open dog food in a bag hide it before crossing as they have been known to take it if opened.

I usually offer then a bottle of water from the refrigerator and that's it.
All nice folks doing their job.

Speed limit as soon as you cross the border you enter the town of Sonoyta is very slow so watch your kilometers and watch for the few stop signs.
Signage is large and good to Rocky Point so don't worry about the turns.
You may also get stopped on the far side of town to help out the Red Cross. If you five them some change or a dollar they will put a sticker on your car or truck windshield that will help in Rocky Point because they have street stops there also and if you have the sticker on the windshield you just go straight thru and wave. It tells them you have donated already.

Any other questions please feel free to ask away.

Iggy

If anyone wants me to suggest restaurants let me know.

Here is a map from the border crossing to The Reef.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	map.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	177.4 KB
ID:	121847  
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 07:25 AM   #5

Mexico bound

Thank you Iggy for the posting and the information. I anticipate being there for the month of Dec. and may return to the area or the campground in mid March for another two weeks. I am also looking forward to exploring some state parks in AZ. I love having first hand experience to draw on. I'll look into the credit card you suggested. I have Good Sam travel assist. Do you know if that card get me into the Sam's Club? I can do my own research so no worries if you don't have an immediate answer. I have a class C which I may park and then use local transportation or rely on occasion on the kindness of strangers. I'm going to look into the one day insrance plan. Great idea! Happy travels, Kathy
waterwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 09:04 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterwoman View Post
Thank you Iggy for the posting and the information. I anticipate being there for the month of Dec. and may return to the area or the campground in mid March for another two weeks. I am also looking forward to exploring some state parks in AZ. I love having first hand experience to draw on. I'll look into the credit card you suggested. I have Good Sam travel assist. Do you know if that card get me into the Sam's Club? I can do my own research so no worries if you don't have an immediate answer. I have a class C which I may park and then use local transportation or rely on occasion on the kindness of strangers. I'm going to look into the one day insrance plan. Great idea! Happy travels, Kathy

Kathy
Do you know what campground in Puerto Penasco you plan to stay?
The Reef is a bit far out of town without transportation.
I usually stay a Playo de Oro Campground in town and still on the beach.
Here is their link.
Playa de Oro RV Park
The only difference between it and The Reef is the spaces are a little smaller but you are within walking distance to some restaurants and things. This is where I will between March 13 -27th.

Coming into Mexico at Lukesville AZ we have a great campground call Organ Pipe Campground which I believe is a state park. It is close to the border which many friends stay over night.

Sam's Club is a store like Costco and no they don't take Good Sams Club cards.

I also have Good Sam's travel assist and it may be good in Mexico but not sure. I will check. Remember you are in a small town in Mexico and not the big city. You still have at the campgrounds propane delivery if you need.
They sell firewood if you want a fire on the beach.
Most all the campground if full of great people from US and Canada so I'm sure you will make new friends and they all have rides to help you if you need it.

It is a layed back area to enjoy the water beach and people. It is a nice break for us.

If you sse me I probably will be in my little red Fiat or at my motorhome with plates from Arizona.
Here are a few pictures from Playo de Oro Campground.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Camping 018.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	325.1 KB
ID:	121909   Click image for larger version

Name:	Camping 077.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	294.0 KB
ID:	121910   Click image for larger version

Name:	Camping 021.jpg
Views:	61