Old 03-18-2012, 05:12 PM   #21

Has anybody used a Roku with a mac, or compared a Roku to an Apple TV? I just got an Apple TV and find it kind of frustrating. Then I saw the Roku on sale at Walmart and wondered how it compares.

Old 03-18-2012, 05:27 PM   #22

Hmmm, may not be a popular comment but I'm in the "don't stream media on parks wifi networks" camp, unless you have specifically asked and know they are setup with enough bandwidth to handle it. It's really nice to have wifi for email, surfing up travel info and general browsing. It only takes one or two folks trying to stream media over a basic wifi network to bring it to it's knee's and kill everyone elses througput. Most campgrouind level wifi equipement has no bandwidth management/traffic shapeing capability so very few high def steaming apps can reek havoc on all the other users in the park.

Old 03-18-2012, 08:33 PM   #23
Phat Phrog Phlunky

Quote:
Originally Posted by SinkorSwim View Post
Hmmm, may not be a popular comment but I'm in the "don't stream media on parks wifi networks" camp, unless you have specifically asked and know they are setup with enough bandwidth to handle it. It's really nice to have wifi for email, surfing up travel info and general browsing. It only takes one or two folks trying to stream media over a basic wifi network to bring it to it's knee's and kill everyone elses througput. Most campgrouind level wifi equipement has no bandwidth management/traffic shapeing capability so very few high def steaming apps can reek havoc on all the other users in the park.

Sorry Jack, you should bring DVD's if ya wanna watch movies. I need the banwidth to find my next stop.
Days camped in 2013 = 30 final.
Days camped in 2014 = 27 final.
igkra.com
essness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 11:06 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackincognito View Post
Has anybody used a Roku with a mac, or compared a Roku to an Apple TV? I just got an Apple TV and find it kind of frustrating. Then I saw the Roku on sale at Walmart and wondered how it compares.
I don't like Apple TV because its too ITUNES'ish. I hate Itunes. And that's because I love MAC's lol. The ROKU is a better streamer. Just go to youtube.com and search for Roku vs Apple TV.

Ruben Zamora
2007 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 Dmax/Allison, 4" Exhaust-no cat-no muffler
2012 Palomino Puma 23FB
RubenZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 11:34 AM   #25

I have a Roku at home and I love it. I think for traveling, you need to. Ring your media with you. That may mean DVDs, or an iPod touch (or similar) that you connect to your tv.
Even though you could use a mifi to avoid hogging the CG wifi, there are a lot of variables to contend with. You may not have adequate signal. As much as my work is online and relies on Internet connectivity, I have to keep reminding myself that high speed Internet access is not ubiquitous. I'm not parking my camper at Starbucks after all.
Case in point: I have an iPhone and I use Pandora to listen to music wherever I go. So much so that I used to not have any music on my phone at all. So there I am, driving through Virginia on I-81, and the music stops, because there was insufficient bandwidth available to stream music.

House97 is offline   Reply With Quote