Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-19-2015, 04:19 PM   #21

Tons of excellent advice here. I started with a 21' Roo and worked up to a 32' Rockwood 8327ss and have camped 49 nights last tear and traveled thousands of miles. For our usual campgrounds we already know what gas stations to use. When we're on the road to somewhere new, the wife will Google Map satellite search upcoming locations whether it's gas, food, or shopping to see if we have an easy out. It really takes the guess work out of stops.

To be completely honest, I'll pull just about anywhere. Brave? stupid? Either way I have been in some tight spots and have had the wife get out and back me out of some gas stations...but dammit, I got gas and they will all have to wait--I'm bigger!!

2013 GMC Savana 2500 FBI Edition
2015 Rockwood 8327SS stuffed with 5 kids!

SE Michigan
Nights camped 2014: 48
BiigDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 04:29 PM   #22

We did the same, a Roo 23SS to a Rockwood Signature Ultralight 8312SS! As others mentioned:
1. Get rid of P tires and move right up to E range
2. Properly set up WDH
3. I use the integrated Ford brake control... love it!
4. Proper tire inflation.
5. Proper loading - measure your tongue weight ready to camp and move your gear to hit the 13%
6. Know in advance what your limits are. For us, this means not hauling firewood, full tanks,full coolers, etc. We get groceries when we get there unless just a long weekend.
7. Speed - I think the most important thing to watch - Our sweet spot is right at 58mph. Motor comfortable, trans is not drifting, temps all in reason. At 60+ we experience some drift and sway... I average around 10.5mpg taking it nice and easy
8. It is up to you to be safe. You can build the ultimate tow rig and camper combo and drive it like a lunatic. Know your limits and be safe. Be prepared for construction zones with barriers on both sides, tight toll booths, passing trucks, etc....
9. 35' is the max I would go... most of the places we camp (about half and half boondock and hookups) we can get into with a little advanced legwork and planning. Google satellite view is a must for fuel stops, cracker barrels, and other planned stops.

I think our next rig will be a fiver in the same length range ... We put about 3500 miles on it this past season...no issues. I will admit, we do leave a little wiggle room in our plans to allow for weather delays. I did tow home from our last trip over thanksgiving with 35-45 mph winds for a few hours as we crossed the Delaware Memorial bridge back into NJ from Williamsburg VA.... not again. We plan to layover as needed and avoid winds over 25mph while traveling...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3081.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	480.1 KB
ID:	69904  

2021 Cedar Creek 37MBH
2020 F350 Powerstroke Super Duty Lariat Crew Cab
Northern NJ - God Bless America!
dieselbobcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 05:34 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooksroost View Post
put in a 55 gallon aux tank. In 2 years haven't even had to go round back at a pilot and parking is a breeze! Just our thoughts...
Ed Ruch
F-250 and 32' Prime Time Crusader
Pull Rite Hitch Removable
55 gal Aux Tank Removable
I'm assuming this Aux removable tank is one that you have to transfer the gas to your truck manually, it's not hard plumbed? I would like to have an additional 55 gallons. I start looking for accessible gas station when I hit 1/2 a tank...

2014 RAM 2500 Laramie Longhorn 4 x 4
6.4 Hemi 410 HP, 410 Rear Axle
gashog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 05:56 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by gashog View Post
I'm assuming this Aux removable tank is one that you have to transfer the gas to your truck manually, it's not hard plumbed? I would like to have an additional 55 gallons. I start looking for accessible gas station when I hit 1/2 a tank...
No its self feed. Keeps truck tank full. When fuel gauge in trucks starts moving we know its 27 gallon till empty! 2 heavy tie downstraps and a small hose clamp and the tanks out or in. Takes me no more then 10 minutes in or out. Remember its diesel! PM me if you need more info pics etc.
rooksroost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 05:58 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigLog View Post
Not 5er's.
I have a 20 ft hybrid Roo, 3 years now. I have been thinking about upgrading to a 30+ ft trailer. Something with outside kitchen and bunks in the back. My question is how easy/hard is it to go from a smaller to bigger trailer. We are weekend campers so I would be going places that are less than 3 hour drive. Or are you guys seasonal people. I just don't know if i want to pull a 34 ft camper every other weekend. I have a Ram 1500.
What are the negatives about a larger campers on the road mainly.
Sorry for my rambling.
It depends on the weight of the Trl. first 1500 doesn't do well with heavy Trl.
I am full timer my trl. is 15,500 lbs. and 42ft. BH Sierra and a GMC 3500HD
gets great mpg loaded or mt. Of course I used to drive semi with 53 ft. trls. so all these RV's are short dually gives stability in windy and rainy weather.
Dick,
dicky1243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 06:10 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platokidd View Post
Towed many different sized pup and tt's and now with the my currant unit at 37ish feet long hitch to bumper. Towing on the highway is not a big deal, you just have to make minor adjustment for o.a.l.
On curvy roads focusing on driving for the rear of the camper, may have to hug the white line or the center line to keep the camper in your lane. When I turn at intersections I always look in my spotter mirror to check the campers wheels and back end.
Watch for motorist coming up to the intersection in the direction you want to turn ,as many will not leave you the room you need to make a turn. Ive been snookered a few times and had to wait for them to back up. Careful at gas stations and choose them wisely.

Backing in my driveway I have to be darn perfect and drive for my campers bumper.

Now what I don't like: Strong winds, road construction, bumpy roads and heavy traffic. Many of our favorite camping spots we can no longer fit. Some cg we no longer go to because of not being big rig friendly. Longer can be taller too, watch out for low branches as many parks dont trim good enough.
When planing a trip to a cg I often use google earth's measuring tool to pick a spot as I know how much room I need to camp and back in.

For me I love driving and towing on the open highway, road trips are a thrill.
Well said, I'd like to add that if you do get it tow it to an empty parking lot and do some turning and backing exercise. Without road traffic and obstacles you can spend more time looking in the mirror watching what the trailer does and how it arcs.

With a little time and practice I think you'll find it's no real issue once you're used to it.

Nights camped in 2014-28, 2015-127, 2016-10
SKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 09:52 AM   #27

Wow i love all the input. Thanks
Old 02-20-2015, 10:38 AM   #28
fx2

Went from a 20 ft single axle boat trailer to a 36 ft TT. Definitely some adjustment but after a few trips you'll get comfortable with it. I originally towed it with a SuperCrew EcoBoost F150 then upgraded to a Ram 2500. I like towing with the 2500 much better.

I've towed different trailers for 15 or so years, everything from a 10 ft utility trailer, sea doos, boats, 30 ft TT, 40 ft toy hauler, and now our 36 ft TT. Principles of towing are all the same just need to adjust for weight and length. I think my 36 ft TT is the easiest to back up once I got the hang of it

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
2002 Ford F250 7.3l 4x4
fx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 10:59 AM   #29

I would like to add if you're concerned about the gas mileage when towing there are things you can do to your tow vehicle that will help. On my Silverado 1500 I had the exhaust converted to dual exhaust, put a throttle body spacer on it, and bought a programmer for the vehicle. Now when I put the tow tune into the truck you can definitely feel the extra torque and the additional horsepower. I average as much as 1 to 2 miles per gallon better while towing now than I did before.
Chevrolet Silverado 1500
Rockwood windjammer 3008w
redcloud1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 11:19 AM   #30

In my limited years I went from a pop up of my dads then my father in law gave me a 26 foot Taurus trailer. That felt huge at first. Then we went to the EVO and it is 32 feet total length, I felt the extra length at first but I have gotten used to it.

I do tow with a 2500 diesel so it helps me manage the weight so my experience is a little different than what you would have with a 1500/150.

Nights Camped (2018-16) (2017-16) (2016-13) (2015-13)
SuicideSaints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 03:33 PM   #31

I never felt comfortable pulling our 31 ft TT with a 1/2 ton, even with a wdh and sway bars. Got a 3/4 ton and it made a huge difference. Much more at ease on the interstate now.

2013 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2703SS
2011 Chevy Silverado 2500
Pitstop88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 04:05 PM   #32

From a 23' Thor to a 32' Grey Wolf to a 38' Columbus. All easy "upgrades" along with trucks to match. Expensive looking at the $$ but priceless in the experience and joy we have had. The first two fit the driveway, Thor easy, Grey Wolf went right to the edge. The Columbus can't even go down our street. No school but or trash truck could get by.. Even a regular car would be hard pressed to pass if I parked in front of the house.
Master Blaster of the Navy
BigTJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 04:06 PM   #33

My first trailer was a single axle 16 ft and my current is about 32" from rear bumper to hitch. I found it easier to back up with the large double axle than the smaller single axle. My 1/2 ton Ram handles the trailer just fine. Plenty of power, feels stable, and stops just fine. I use two friction bars and a WDH.

2015 Evo 2700
2017 Ram 2500 6.4 Hemi 4.10
Evo2700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 06:14 PM   #34
Moderator Emeritus

We had an 18-footer (towed with a Tacoma) then, last year, upgraded both...a Tundra and a 34-foot Rockwood.

It's wasn't as much of a difference as I had originally worried about BUT that 45-degree, right-hand turn is, now, pretty much impossible when there's only one lane to turn into or you don't have a second lane to swing out into. (So my rule is "when if doubt" don't try the turn.) Better to drive a bit to find somewhere to turn around or to make two left turns instead of hitting something.

We, also, start looking for gas stations (preferably truck stops) when we are at around half a tank. Our 2014 Tundra has a 26-gallon tank and I heard a rumor the 2015's would have a 35-gallon but I've checked and not true. I am eyeballing an extra-tank that replaces your spare tire (underneath) and gives you 17-extra gallons...but that would have to be when I'm retired and doing a LOT of driving...like up to Alaska.

But we like to stop often and stretch and use our OWN bathroom and get a snack from our OWN fridge (and the chihuahuas like it, too.) Never a hurry when in the RV!!!
8-year Travel Trailer RVers
2013 Forest River Rockwood Ultra-Lite 2904SS
2014 Toyota Tundra Maxcrew SR-5 TRD 4x4 (with Firestone airbags in the rear)
ColoradoRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 09:26 PM   #35

I went from a 23' to a 31' last year. My longer unit actually tows a little better than the shorter one and the MPG is unchanged. I've found little difference with backing in, other than pulling forward an extra few feet. I do keep a keener eye on my rear end when making turns. My biggest issue is pulling into gas stations. With my smaller unit, I just drove until I needed gas and pulled it in anywhere... With the 31-footer, I have to plan ahead... At least for now.

2015 Coachmen Apex 288BHS
2014 Toyota Tundra 5.7L CrewMax

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 02-20-2015, 10:38 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoRick View Post
We had an 18-footer (towed with a Tacoma) then, last year, upgraded both...a Tundra and a 34-foot Rockwood.

It's wasn't as much of a difference as I had originally worried about BUT that 45-degree, right-hand turn is, now, pretty much impossible when there's only one lane to turn into or you don't have a second lane to swing out into. (So my rule is "when if doubt" don't try the turn.) Better to drive a bit to find somewhere to turn around or to make two left turns instead of hitting something.

We, also, start looking for gas stations (preferably truck stops) when we are at around half a tank. Our 2014 Tundra has a 26-gallon tank and I heard a rumor the 2015's would have a 35-gallon but I've checked and not true. I am eyeballing an extra-tank that replaces your spare tire (underneath) and gives you 17-extra gallons...but that would have to be when I'm retired and doing a LOT of driving...like up to Alaska.

But we like to stop often and stretch and use our OWN bathroom and get a snack from our OWN fridge (and the chihuahuas like it, too.) Never a hurry when in the RV!!!

I too was looking at the additional tank to make 46 gal but could buy a lot of gas for the grand!

I also have a 32' like Evo and suicide and DID have it set up perfectly in June but after tire changes on TV and trailer and Anderson hitch shifting on the frame rail- I'm tweeking things a little at a time to get that comfy spot back.

Tight turns take practice and forward thinking to swing out far and have an consistent arch. Just started to use truck stops for gas and that was much easier! In my area, some of the places we want to go have road restrictions on size- mostly mountain areas so if you call a campground first just ask if there are any size restrictions for the drive. They would know best.

2014 Stealth Evo 2850 "Woodstock"
2011 Toyota Tundra Rock Crawler TRD 5.7 "Clifford"

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 08:35 PM   #37
Site Team

I've really come to respect truck drivers since I've been towing. Those wide turns into other's lanes make more sense now.

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 08:57 PM   #38

Its all what you are use to towing. When I got my first popup I was terrified the first few times. Now 15 years later its no sweat at all. A few weeks ago when I picked up my new to me 36bhbs I just went a little slowed until I was use to it. Over the years I have gone from the popup to a 18' camper to a 27" then to a 33' ( also boats from 18' to 23') My PWC is the hardest of all to back up since its only 14'.
Just plan your first few trips somewhere close and know the route and take it slow and easy.
Bamamax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 11:17 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcheatwood View Post
I've really come to respect truck drivers since I've been towing. Those wide turns into other's lanes make more sense now.
It really makes sense once you pull a fifth wheel. I'm still shocked at how the trailer tracks differently than my TT.

Nights camped in 2014-28, 2015-127, 2016-10
SKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 12:37 AM   #40

In 2008 we started of with a 25' Jayco 25LGT Ultra lite TT pulled by an Expedition EL. No problem here. Then we bought a FR 8315BSS which measured in at nearly 35' bumper to hitch. This was a very long trailer for the wheel base of the Expedition. There was a formula I found somewhere that suggested I was about 8' longer than preferred for the wheelbase of the towing vehicle. The TV wheel base is an important factor to take into account and can easily be overlooked by many people.
I now tow a 41' CC 5er with an F350 dually. A big difference from the original Jayco but with some thought and careful driving it isn't insurmountable. Good luck.

Richard & Diane
2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
2016 F350 Lariat CC DRW
Retired Metropolitan Police (UK)
Hutch333id is offline   Reply With Quote