Old 03-20-2015, 12:55 PM   #51

The biggest thing I had to get my head around... my old camper was a heavy beast from the mid 80's... it was considered a 19' but was 21' long. Probably weighed 4500lbs. Now, bought a 26' and the damn thing is 32' long hitch to back bumper... I don't know where this 26 feet comes from, it's got a good 30' of interior space, so I guess maybe they don't count the domed front??? (2013 Greywolf 26dbh) But anyways, it pulls easier than my old 80's camper and backs up easier with the extra length and weighs 6000lbs
It's not that intimidating to go bigger if you have self confidence. And, the best thing to build your self confidence to come to the self realization that there is no law that says you have to go 70mph if the speed limit is 70mph... going 58mph is perfectly acceptable and lets you enjoy the trip more.

Old 03-20-2015, 01:05 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridersfan View Post
The biggest thing I had to get my head around... my old camper was a heavy beast from the mid 80's... it was considered a 19' but was 21' long. Probably weighed 4500lbs. Now, bought a 26' and the damn thing is 32' long hitch to back bumper... I don't know where this 26 feet comes from, it's got a good 30' of interior space, so I guess maybe they don't count the domed front??? (2013 Greywolf 26dbh) But anyways, it pulls easier than my old 80's camper and backs up easier with the extra length and weighs 6000lbs
It's not that intimidating to go bigger if you have self confidence. And, the best thing to build your self confidence to come to the self realization that there is no law that says you have to go 70mph if the speed limit is 70mph... going 58mph is perfectly acceptable and lets you enjoy the trip more.
I believe they do go by interior length today. My TT was a 286RLDS, the exterior of the box was dead on 28'6" and was 32' tongue to spare tire.

My 346RETS is 38'4" long tip to tail but the interior is right at 34'. I plead ignorance when official length comes up, thus far I've been good.

Interesting tidbit between the two trailers. The "Wheelbase" between the two are within a few inches of each other, the coupler to trailer front axle length is seriously dead on despite the 10' difference in length. But being a fifth wheel it turns much, much, quicker than the TT did. It's awesome backing in but it's a wonder I've not taken out a sign during a right hand turn! It's been a year and I'm still getting used to it in tight quarters.

Nights camped in 2014-28, 2015-127, 2016-10
SKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 01:21 PM   #53

rider. Makes it easier to get in to a campground. They ask how long is your rig? You say 26' they say OK.
Burgers on the BBQ and a cold beer
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 01:58 PM   #54

Haha, been down that path already mike.t
Camp office:How long is your rig?
Me: 26'.
Camp office: Have any slides?
Me: Yes, just 1 (it's a good 12' of slide, lol).
Camp office: Ok, you can have the spot in the trees, we don't like the big guys squeezing out the little tent trailers.

Later having a different camp office guy on a golf cart ask me why they gave me the good spot, the guy beside me complaining I blocked out the sun, lol

Me: Well, I didn't lie, and I'm not moving now!
Old 03-20-2015, 02:46 PM   #55

I wasn't afraid to go a little bigger even though my wife was a little intimidated. we started with a 21 foot hybrid then went to a 30 foot bunkhouse and now have the 35 foot Windjammer. as far as pulling the Windjammer which is about 2800 pounds heavier than my bunk house was I haven't had any problems so far and we're pulling it with a half ton silverado.
Old 03-20-2015, 02:48 PM   #56
GC

Long bed truck and camper is about 56' total. My best advice is to go slow when in doubt and don't worry about other people having to wait. They'll get over it.

Have fun camping!
Old 03-20-2015, 06:10 PM   #57

1/2 ton eh.
Burgers on the BBQ and a cold beer
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 04:56 PM   #58

I have a 1/2 Ram and a Rockwood 2909SS (33' tongue to bumper). Loaded I don't think it weighs over 8000 lbs.

Your situations sounds familiar. We are weekend campers and don't pull more than 3 hours away. I've taken interstate and local roads. The key is don't get in a hurry, you're not out there to race anyone. I know people would argue with my set up being a half ton and all, but I couldn't justify the cost of a 3/4 ton truck for the amount of camping and the close campgrounds we go to.

Just my opinion.
Old 03-23-2015, 10:41 AM   #59

I just upgraded from 24 ft to 35 ft Forest River Wildwood...still pulling with Ram 1500 4.7 ltr V-8... I live in Texas and only pull up and down coast. I have stabilizer system and added sway control when I upgraded. Won't be able to pull in mountains with this truck...unfortunately we can't afford a HD truck at this time... One day!
Old 03-23-2015, 08:49 PM   #60

I am not trying to say anyone is wrong about what they tow with or how big their trailer is because everyone has their own opinion. Ford, Dodge, GMC and all others put a weight limit for a reason. NOW anyone that thinks "I am close enough on weight" Or "I'm only going a few miles" or any other excuse's PLEASE tell us when and where you will be on the road so we can avoid you.