Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-19-2015, 09:55 AM   #1

? for you guys that pull larger than 30ft

Not 5er's.
I have a 20 ft hybrid Roo, 3 years now. I have been thinking about upgrading to a 30+ ft trailer. Something with outside kitchen and bunks in the back. My question is how easy/hard is it to go from a smaller to bigger trailer. We are weekend campers so I would be going places that are less than 3 hour drive. Or are you guys seasonal people. I just don't know if i want to pull a 34 ft camper every other weekend. I have a Ram 1500.
What are the negatives about a larger campers on the road mainly.
Sorry for my rambling.
Old 02-19-2015, 10:17 AM   #2

You are a brave person.

I considered a jump from a pop up to a Roo this past year but decided that the Roo was too big and would have been too scary to tow.

I know there are plenty of people that tow TT's but ultimately it is the driver that must feel comfortable. It is a personal decision.

Vin.

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 10000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 10:18 AM   #3
Mod free 5er

Pulled a 33' Flagstaff 831RLSS over 40,000 miles with my Silverado 1500. Just make sure you get rid of the P rated tires and put on LR D or LR E and get a good sway control package. I used 2 friction sway controls and had no problems.
Old 02-19-2015, 10:22 AM   #4

Well, I have yet to purchase a TT that's 30' or over (current one is 26'), but I DO have a 32' enclosed trailer. I think it's nothing more than practice to get used to the change in behavior with the axles further from the ball. You also need to acclimate yourself to the additional length with passing, turning, and negotiating CGs, but again it's practice.

I had a 21SS for 7 seasons - great hybrid! Have a RAM 5.7 crew/mid bed/4x4/HD tow package as my daily driver and will suggest you may not find a TT in those lengths to fit your truck happily.

Good luck and happy camping!
geotex1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 10:23 AM   #5

We started with a popup, moved to a hybrid, then a 35' TT and now have a 35' fifth wheel. DH and I both pull them, according to who is tired and I am as comfortable pulling the fifth wheel as I was the popup.

With that being said, I do all the "backing in" of the fifth wheel. DH was much more comfortable backing the TT and I prefer the fifth wheel. We just make it work.

I have found that the larger vehicles pull much easier than the small single axle trailers, back in much easier, but do catch some "tail wind" from larger passing vehicles. You just have to be prepared for it.

We really enjoyed our bunkhouse TT, but we were spending 100+ days in it each year, and the bunk room got pretty small for our girls, so we are now in a front bunkhouse fifth wheel. This will suffice until we upgrade to an A.
merrykalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 11:38 AM   #6
Site Team

Towed many different sized pup and tt's and now with the my currant unit at 37ish feet long hitch to bumper. Towing on the highway is not a big deal, you just have to make minor adjustment for o.a.l.
On curvy roads focusing on driving for the rear of the camper, may have to hug the white line or the center line to keep the camper in your lane. When I turn at intersections I always look in my spotter mirror to check the campers wheels and back end.
Watch for motorist coming up to the intersection in the direction you want to turn ,as many will not leave you the room you need to make a turn. Ive been snookered a few times and had to wait for them to back up. Careful at gas stations and choose them wisely.

Backing in my driveway I have to be darn perfect and drive for my campers bumper.

Now what I don't like: Strong winds, road construction, bumpy roads and heavy traffic. Many of our favorite camping spots we can no longer fit. Some cg we no longer go to because of not being big rig friendly. Longer can be taller too, watch out for low branches as many parks dont trim good enough.
When planing a trip to a cg I often use google earth's measuring tool to pick a spot as I know how much room I need to camp and back in.

For me I love driving and towing on the open highway, road trips are a thrill.

Zelda the campin dog
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 11:55 AM   #7
Site Team

My first TT, a 26" scared me at first. The move up to a 29" 5er concerned me but turned out an easy change. Now my 32" 5er is nothing at all to pull. I think it's easier to move up than to start big.

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 12:12 PM   #8

Our first tt was 28 feet overall, then we bought our Windjammer, which is right at 35 feet overall. I didn't notice any difference in towing, but backing up is easier with a longer trailer. I have a short (about 12 foot) utility trauler that I sometimes use to haul stuff around home, and it is far more difficult to back up. Just spend a little time to get comfortable with your longer trailer and you won't have any problems.
2021 Chevy Silverado 3500HD DRW 4X4 Duramax
“It's not how old you are, it's how you are old.”Jules Renard
"It's not the years...it's the mileage." - Indiana Jones
Capt. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 12:32 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platokidd View Post
Towed many different sized pup and tt's and now with the my currant unit at 37ish feet long hitch to bumper. Towing on the highway is not a big deal, you just have to make minor adjustment for o.a.l.
On curvy roads focusing on driving for the rear of the camper, may have to hug the white line or the center line to keep the camper in your lane. When I turn at intersections I always look in my spotter mirror to check the campers wheels and back end.
Watch for motorist coming up to the intersection in the direction you want to turn ,as many will not leave you the room you need to make a turn. Ive been snookered a few times and had to wait for them to back up. Careful at gas stations and choose them wisely.

Backing in my driveway I have to be darn perfect and drive for my campers bumper.

Now what I don't like: Strong winds, road construction, bumpy roads and heavy traffic. Many of our favorite camping spots we can no longer fit. Some cg we no longer go to because of not being big rig friendly. Longer can be taller too, watch out for low branches as many parks dont trim good enough.
When planing a trip to a cg I often use google earth's measuring tool to pick a spot as I know how much room I need to camp and back in.

For me I love driving and towing on the open highway, road trips are a thrill.
Thats a fair bit of great advice right there. I second everything Platokidd said for your TT. I haul a 34' total length TT with my 1500 just fine. WDH and Sway control with a really good brake controller are a must. You will be fine.

Doug and Toni & Penny
2014 Wildcat Maxx T28RLS TT
2013 Silverado Z71 5.3L 3.42gears
Nites Camped 2015: 21
S1LV3R4D0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 01:20 PM   #10

we have a c38 FL C C and it's 42 ' np at all tows very nice
wire1946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 01:33 PM   #11

pulling a larger trailer

we started out with a 21 foot Jayco hybrid which was the first trailer I had pulled in about 30 years. Then we upgraded to a 30 coachman apex and was pulling it with a Nissan Xterra which was probably not the brightest thing that I have ever done. After purchasing a Chevy Silverado 1500 2 years ago we just upgraded to a Rockwood Windjammer 3008. the Windjammers 35 Foot which I don't have a problem pulling the larger trailers. the only thing you have to watch is your right hand turns and when you pull in somewhere to get gas or for fast food making sure that you have an exit strategy.
redcloud1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 01:49 PM   #12
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Went from a 26' terry TT to a 36' flagstaff 832bhss tt.

Pulled it with our 1/2 ton suburban for 6 years.
All local towing with an occasional 2 hour trip. Twice a year.

TURBS
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 02:02 PM   #13

If your going to be to concerned while towing you wont enjoy RVing. I think you would be better off having a smaller unit.
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 02:04 PM   #14

This one I'll weigh in on! Had a 2720 TM for 6 years, luved it! Back started acting up so we went shopping. First got a 2010 Tundra then a 32' Passport. Never relized how long it was until the day we picked it up! 32' camper 4' of tow bar, 1 foot of WDH + truck, real close to 60'. In the 10 months we had I realized it was wrong, so wrong we thought about quiting and going back to Motels for us! But we like camping a lot, have met the greatest folks camping! Reason why we almost gave it up was 1. Getting into our driveway was a nitemare. 2. Usually got between 8 and 10MPG depending wether going up hill or down. 3.This brings up gas, that kinda milage make for lot'sa stops and from talking to fellow campers you'll go into a station and the first thing you'll say "I think I mita screwed up!" Can get in and can't get out. Happened to us, cut our cable , brakes locked up and we stopped almost in the road, well more in then out! Wife ask what are going to do? I said we'll see what this trucks got, put it in 4 wheel low, truck in low and drug the trailer tires accross the road to a empty parking lot shut it down had lunch! Then repaired the cord and went on merry way. 4. Next to the TM we thought the bathroom was huge, well after 4 mouths of camping we realized not but that has nothing to do with this! 5. The Passport weigh in empty at 5800 lbs. The truck 6000 lbs? Never once while I was towing did I feel in complete control. Windy conditions we really felt it in our seat. Calm days always felt the tug of trucks as the passed us. It wore on me and the wife. When we decided to keep camping we went truck shopping first, found a F-250 Super Duty, Diesel, crew cab. When we went camping in the spring with that truck I was in control and we both felt it but now the length real close to 60' and longer truck we just couldn't turn like I wanted and needed to.
So we traded it in on a 32' Crusader 5er and put in a 55 gallon aux tank. In 2 years haven't even had to go round back at a pilot and parking is a breeze! Just our thoughts...
Ed Ruch
F-250 and 32' Prime Time Crusader
Pull Rite Hitch Removable
55 gal Aux Tank Removable
rooksroost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 02:33 PM   #15

We went from a popup to a 26'TT to a 30+ 5th it tows like a dream just give a little room when you pass the big rigs
rshultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 02:49 PM   #16

We started with a 27' and now pull a 32' Rockwood 2703ws. I try to gas up at truck stops. Won't even attempt to pull into fast food establishments. Some older state parks won't take my trailer. I always stay in the right lane on the interstates and keep the speedo at no more than 62 mph. I would recommend making sure you have the proper truck, WDH and sway control. I love this trailer.

2015 Rockwood 2703WS
2013 Ford f-150 5.0 3.55 ext cab
Rockwoodjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 02:50 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooksroost View Post
This one I'll weigh in on! Had a 2720 TM for 6 years, luved it!
We too went from a TM 2720 to a full sized travel trailer, but only 28.5'. Big difference in towing and fuel mileage.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 03:14 PM   #18
Maron

Send a message via Yahoo to Maron
We r towing a 34'9" 8329 we bought last January. Towed it about 6000 miles last year. Our dealer rigged us up with a Equalizer sway system and it works like a charm.
The Tekonsha Primus 10 electric brake system matches our trailer very well.
Like. Most everyone else says...on the highway...you won't notice a difference except for passing and changing lanes. I like sunny weather cuz y can see where the vehicle is when passing by the change in the shadow along the road.
The challenge comes in the turning and paying attention to your length in tight spots. Gas stations, parking lots and CG roads with dumpsters, stumps and posts can be tricky. I turned to soon along side a dumpster and caught the handle of a dumpster which damaged my street side. I damaged the awning posts, side decals and the staircase handle most of which the good Forest River people at the FROG convention fixed free of charge last summer.
Well you have read many great tips and concerns about that extra length...but they far underplay the benefits and comfort of that additional length. Our salon has 2 power recliners, a sleeper sofa, 2 slides that open the width to 14' and a TV that sits at a neck comforting 45 degrees. It is darn comfortable.
God luck with your choice and if you do it, just be careful of your length and turns.
Maron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 03:24 PM   #19

Our (used) 34' 2011 Tracer 3150 has the 2nd slide for the bunkhouse & it gives our family of 5 plenty of room for a TT weighing under 6,500 lbs. empty... I also really, really enjoy our spacious outdoor kitchen. Makes for a quick meal when we first arrive at a campground tired & hungry.

However, ready to camp we're around 8,400 with 1,100 of that on the hitch making our total payload around 2,200 & GCVW around 15,000. IMO you may want to check-out the Prime Time Tracer AIR bunkhouses with 1 dinette slide. They will have less tongue weight but still have better fit & finish than the lightweight Keystone Passports, Bullets, etc.

IMO backing a longer TT is easier than a shorter one as long as you have a good spotter. However, getting out of tight spots can be tedious. A longer trailer is much more difficult to manage in tight gas stations & city driving. Eventually you may have to back-out the way you came in. Again, have a spotter & make others wait - just like if you were driving a semi or construction vehicle. I used to drive commercial trailers with 1/2, 3/4, & 1 ton trucks. In tight spots I just stopped traffic & blocked the road until people moved. They may get mad, but its your insurance policy bill if you hit something including the guy who's shouting at you & gesturing you're #1!
2017-31; 2016-36; 2015-37; 2014-31

The_Rhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 04:01 PM   #20

The only thing I would add is how much harder it is in gas stations with the longer trailer. I've pulled in and quickly realized I couldn't get out. Now I try to avoid doing that again.
Going to a trailer that is almost 2,500 pounds heavier I thought I'd fill the extra weight but with the new hitch I don't notice it at all.
redcloud1 is offline   Reply With Quote