Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-06-2013, 08:56 PM   #1

Forest River Brands

Ok, we have spent the last month looking at multiple brands at various dealers. Leaning toward the Forest River MFG group. Question to all the FROG members,

Is there, for lack of better wording, a pecking order for quality amongst the Forest River Brands, i.e., is Salem better than Rockwood, etc. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated
RayW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 09:10 PM   #2

IMO, there is no pecking order for quality.
Owners of the more expensive units have complaints or problems that are often seen on models of other names.
Our TT had just a couple minor problems until the black tank began to leak. It could be a defective tank or fitting. I don't know yet.
The more expensive models might have more aluminum, solid wood cabinets, double pane windows, carpet, china toilets and sinks or basins, painted exteriors and some have deeper slideouts. There are many, many differences and they add up in cost and in some cases, weight.
I think that the Surveyor Select offers many nice features for the price point.
Twisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 09:15 PM   #3
Site Team - Lou

From my limited experience, it seems the heavier units (1 ton class towable and up) have better features like heavier frames, better cabinets and Corian or granite countertops. Lighter units (1/2 ton - 3/4 ton range) have lighter weight counterparts.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 09:34 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

The MSRP for the various brands of Forest River as a good of method as any to sort the order. You'll find as the MSRP gets lower, so to the discounts from the selling dealers.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 11:20 PM   #5

We have had the fortune or misfortune of buying 2 FR Flagstaff 26-FKWS within a three month time frame. The first on we got last June. We had owned a SOB for a year but decided to upgrade because of a better floor plan and more inside room with the 2 slides. The overall quality fit and finish was heads above the SOB that we traded. Our first trip was to my 50th HS class reunion in mid July. We had a great time and on the way back to AR we stopped for fuel in IN and a dump truck broad-sided the camper and totaled it. After all the insurance stuff was done we ordered a duplicate unit and it came built as well as the first.
JMTCW
TeJay
TeJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 12:03 AM   #6
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayW View Post
Ok, we have spent the last month looking at multiple brands at various dealers. Leaning toward the Forest River MFG group. Question to all the FROG members,

Is there, for lack of better wording, a pecking order for quality amongst the Forest River Brands, i.e., is Salem better than Rockwood, etc. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated

WE have a Silverback 29rk FW. I have gotten to know a FR rep and I asked him after touring the Topeka, In plant where they are built along with the Cedar Creek FW's what the difference between the SB and CC are. He said in general terms that the CC's come with more standard features that are optional on the SB and therefore cost more.

He assured us that the "bones" of the two are identical.

I don't know about the FR Travel trailers and motorhomes.
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 12:07 AM   #7

A good starting place may be determining your budget and what you can safely tow. Once you've got that figured out it can help you fine tune your selection. Enjoy the process and good luck.
2013 Cardinal 3030RLS - sold
jtaylor1920 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 12:14 AM   #8
Site Team

From what I understand my Salem Cruise Lite is an entry-level model. Due to being designed as a "lighter weight" TT some extra weight was cut by using lighter weight material.

Some of FR brands have "twins". Same floorplan but different model names.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 01:43 AM   #9

For the money, I don't think you can beat a Columbus Fifth wheel right now.
Old 02-07-2013, 07:08 AM   #10

As I understand it, The flagstaff is to the Rockwood, as the old Chevy Impala was to the Belair.

2012 Winnebago "Journey To Insanity" 40U
2008 Dakota Sport 4x4
2004 Subaru Baja - DW's
2006 Honda Shadow Aero - TOAD for now.
F.R.O.G. member
lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 08:34 AM   #11
Incheon, S. Korea

There are duplicates/twins/cousins for almost every FR brand.
I TRIED to look all the FR brands up once, just for the heck of it. I gave up after a while!
Viking is the twin of our Coachmen, Flagstaff and Rockwood, etc.
They all use components from either LCI, Dexter, Suburban, Dometic, and a few others.
My trailer is almost entirely LCI!
Weight is a good indicator of quality.
My Coachmen is very light for its size....
Have fun shopping!!
BigBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 11:38 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBaron View Post
There are duplicates/twins/cousins for almost every FR brand.
I TRIED to look all the FR brands up once, just for the heck of it. I gave up after a while!
Viking is the twin of our Coachmen, Flagstaff and Rockwood, etc.
They all use components from either LCI, Dexter, Suburban, Dometic, and a few others.
My trailer is almost entirely LCI!
Weight is a good indicator of quality.
My Coachmen is very light for its size....
Have fun shopping!!
Very true. Depending on what company you buy from people from a sister company may have had a hand in making the unit. Coachmen welders work on Forest River units. Columbus brings units into Coachmen for various reasons so on and so forth.
FR_Welder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 11:24 AM   #13
daydreaming about camping

The incestuous nature of the many FR brands can become incredibly confusing at times. In general I have learned the following:

1) different lines do not necessarily have better workmanship, but may have better quality individual components.
2) different lines will be promoted from year to year with special option packages etc to promote sales within that specific line. You will get more bang for your buck if you hit that line in the year it being promoted.
3) price does not always reflect quality, but rather innovation, equipment and decor.
4) with so many brands it is impossible to find dealers that carry all, and most dealers will try not to carry brands that compete with each other. The perfect trailer may be out there in one FR brand you have not yet seen, but a local dealer may be willing to order one for you.
5) Every brand puts out a trailer made at 4:59 pm on a Friday. It happens.

2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS pulled by a 2005 F250 King Ranch CC

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.
jeeplj8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 11:59 AM   #14

You might also try and find out what service at the dealers is like for warranty and service work. We hate the service dept. at our dealer. The sales dept. was great on the other hand. For example, it has taken 4 trips in to get an ill-fitting bathroom door fixed. Major hassles getting the brakes fixed (took 16 months overall). TT sits on their lot for weeks before they do the work (twice have been around 6 weeks).

Just getting two warped windows replaced under warranty. First they said the factory wanted a water test. Then they phoned and said the windows are in. but I had to postpone due to Xmas holidays and poor weather. Then when I phoned back, they could not find the windows. Now I have an appt. but they want the TT for a week "or so". I can see this turning into another month+ job. Windows are in - why can't they get us in and out in a day, two tops???

For the life of me, I can't understand how an RV dealer can run a business like this. They aren't all like this. Can you imagine taking your RV in for repairs in the middle of the camping season when they are really busy? Better be prepared to write off the remainder of the season. I know some will say that this is just the way it is in this industry, but I don't think so from what we have been told by others who have different dealers and/or brands.

Apologies for the rant. Next time we buy an RV, the warranty & repair service a dealer provides will at the top of the question list.

Oh, and I don't want to appear negative, but it would be prudent to some due diligence checking and see what you can find around the 'net for problems and issues with the brand or model of unit you want to buy.