Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-22-2016, 03:15 PM   #21
ARLO

we have better luck here in Chili. We have a dealer here that sells Forest
River now. We bought our Flagstaff in Palmyra NY. Wilkins RV put up a facility in Churchville NY. I have gone there for warranty and were very satisfied with them. They were very accommodating and I will buy our next trailer from them. Their prices are very reasonable and competitive. Frankly, driving 500 or 1000 miles to save a few bucks is idiotic. I wouldn't do it. 100 miles, maybe. In the past, I did buy form dealers further away and it was a pain in the a*s.. Find the local dealer with the best reputation and buy it there.
rlocicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 04:24 PM   #22

I ordered and bought a competitive RV 4.5 hours from home (saved 8K over local best price). The dealer helped me select the extras and ordered the 5er from the manufacturer, absolutely no push to buy off the lot. When other manufacturers mass produce a certain model equipped with what they think will be popular, the dealer has to get it off his lot. Ordered in March picked up in May.
Old 12-22-2016, 04:28 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP Camper View Post
I resent being forced to buy a model line that I do not like just "to buy it local"
I seriously doubt that Forest River is forcing you to buy anything.
keith52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 04:36 PM   #24

Well SOMEONE forced me to buy mine! (Maybe it was DW, I forget...........)

I guess I'm just the anomaly. I bought 800 miles away because I saved $23,300 over my local dealer. (I earlier said $25,000 forgive me). And it's actually more than that because I'm comparing an ordered unit with lots of bells and whistles to an on-the-lot price locally. Some guy on here has told me it is impossible the difference is that great, but it's quite real. But when I needed major warranty work, my local dealer was happy to get the work, did it and billed Cedar Creek, and did it well though he took 6 weeks (not that long really). So, I'll be happy to buy local as soon as my local dealer comes down by $23,300............

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 04:47 PM   #25

Never once in all the time having a Silverado have I been told that because I didn't buy there I could not get truck worked on but I have been told that more than one time by RV dealers

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 05:06 PM   #26
Canadian Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuckshaw View Post
Unfortunately, the reality of RV warranty is that dealers lose money on warranty repairs. Manufacturers dictate the labour times and rates and send parts at their cost. Until the manufacturers step up with reasonable times and rates, dealers will continue to avoid repairing "someone else's" problem. The dealers are independent businesses, as had been mentioned in a previous post, and need to be profitable or go under. The industry has needed an overhaul for decades. So, we deal with it because we love the life!
Thanks for your posts, Canuckshaw. They specifically help us to understand the relationship between the manufacture and the dealer - from both sides.

Based on your comments, it seems the manufacturers can improve by being more fair in paying for warranty work because the alternative is that the unit goes back to the factory for the repairs. On the other side, the dealers have to hire and train techs and other staff to provide competent, efficient, customer-focused service which only supports the manufacturer's product sales.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 05:07 PM   #27

Shake Up Coming

Some time in the future a Washington, DC politician will either get the run around from a dealer or a big contributor will get the "you didn't buy it here" . A hearing will be held and a bill passed that will shake the RV industry to the foundation. Sorry, the industry deserves this!
ccsvolsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 05:15 PM   #28
Site Team

I don't mind seeing a campaign to buy local and will do so if it fits my needs (including budget & wish list).

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 06:36 PM   #29

Quote:
Unfortunately, the reality of RV warranty is that dealers lose money on warranty repairs. Manufacturers dictate the labour times and rates and send parts at their cost. Until the manufacturers step up with reasonable times and rates, dealers will continue to avoid repairing "someone else's" problem. The dealers are independent businesses, as had been mentioned in a previous post, and need to be profitable or go under. The industry has needed an overhaul for decades. So, we deal with it because we love the life!
I spoke with a CW mgr I know well. He said some stores make money on service and some lose. Most are happy to just do better than break even. I was surprised to hear the biggest margin from most every dealership comes from used RVs.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 07:14 PM   #30

Unfortunately, manufacturers have generated a flat rate for most warranty repairs. Guess what, do it fast, do it cheaply and cover up the problem quickly. So if service is marginal flip the coin, to make money service has to be great and stay on top of new stuff. Dealers need to stop pushing know problem RVs, just read the threads.
Old 12-22-2016, 11:03 PM   #31

The RV industry is different from the auto industry. RV dealers are independent and are not controlled like the auto dealers are. If you buy local you get better service, the local dealers will take care of their customers first. If you are traveling most dealers will work you in since you aren't a local that bought from a distant dealer.
tomrob1161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 11:57 PM   #32

Quote:
The slow parts deliveries for warranty work is constantly blamed on dealers here with claims they want to have them shipped in units being delivered to save shipping costs. I have never understood why as I could not fathom why the dealer would be responsible for shipping costs on parts a manufacturer provides for warranty repairs. One of the problems I had when an ordered unit that was unacceptable arrived was the dealer obtaining the parts after the repairs were approved. This was on a unit I did not own yet. Despite my willingness to wait it out, and after having wasted a ton more time through the entire process, it turns out they (Rockwood) were waiting until they had every part available so they could bundle them all up and ship them to the dealer in a unit that was being delivered. After about a month of that I had enough. For the month I waited it out before throwing in the towel they were building new units but had none of the same parts available to ship to the dealer for one already built.
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 07:38 AM   #33

Quote:
If dealers loose money on warranty repairs then they would all be bankrupt, since, according to the posts on the forum, the majority of new RVs are in service bays being repaired for defects. They do not loose money, they just don't make as much as when they charge us $100 to 125 per hour. I've dealt locally with 2 dealers and have had poor service.
2015 Ford F150 Eco-Boost
BusyRetirees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 12:22 PM   #34

Buy Local?

I have seen it a hundred times on these forums. What good is buying local if it breaks down a thousand miles away? Likewise a "extended service contract" that only works at home?
Dovidas1944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 06:30 PM   #35

Extended warranty is a crock from Camping World. The one I have is fifty bucks deductible but C/W charges $197 just to tell you the problem, I told them I already knew the problem. Lord I wish I could cancel it, I do no business with C/W now

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 07:12 PM   #36

Found out first hand about the warranty scheme. 2011 we purchased a Coachmen Northridge. Had a specific model in mind when we went to our local dealer (25 miles). Was told it was discontinued and we didn't like the new version. Found another dealer that had a leftover so we purchased it there (175 miles). Flash forward 2017 we again went to our local dealer. Did not have what we wanted but could order it. Said it would be 3-4 months or so, and then said "but the Jayco is so much better and nicer, and I have many in stock". So we went back to where we got the last unit and they Had many units in stock. So we purchased it there (last July). The end of October we needed a few warranty issues taken care of, one being it wouldn't take anti-freeze. Called my selling dealer and got an appointment for Dec 1. Being that was getting cold quick my dealer said I could go to any coachmen dealer for warranty. So I called the one only 25 miles away and explained my problem. Was basically told to piss off. His exact words were "Thanks to the wonderful policies of forest river I'm not required to do warranty work on units not purchased here. But I will work on the winterize problem so YOU don't damage your unit. But will absolutely not touch anything else". Then gave me a date 2 days earlier than my selling dealer. Don't know what ticked me off more, his response or the holier than thou attitude it was given in. So I tore it down and fixed the winterize problem myself, then took it to my selling dealer. Can't say enough good about them. In on the 1st, done by the 15th. In comparison they have 600-700 units on the lot, where the one local has about 50.

I've sent a email to coachmen detailing the whole experience, still waiting on a response. The big question I asked was what if I was 3 states away and needed work, what would I do? Pay for it myself and fight the manufacturer for a reimbursement or cut the vacation short and drag it home for repair? Even though I'm pretty sure what the answer will be, I'm waiting for there response. Either way my local coachmen dealer is dead to me. I'll go the 175 miles no problem. The great thing is I have a dealer 3 miles away (non forest river) that does great work, timely, and does there apointments first come first serve, as it should be. So in event I need dealer service after the warranty expires, and I can't fix it myself, this is where I will go.

First manufacturer with a high quality product and a correct dealer network will turn the industry upside down. Unfortunately this won't happen as there are to many of us that will not pay for quality. To many expect a diamond for the price of gravel.
Kenz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
forest river