Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-22-2016, 10:29 AM   #1
Canadian Member

Forest River Buy Local Campaign

Is this a new web page? I got a link to this on my FB news feed.

Forest River Inc., A Berkshire Hathaway Company | RVs, Park Models Trailers, Commercial Buses, Commercial Trailers, Pontoons

It's my understanding that dealers are essentially independent, and that there doesn't seem to be the same level of control by the manufacturers over the dealers as there is in the auto manufacturing and sales sector. By control, I mean control of the quality of service rendered by dealers and control over pricing. And this leads to buyers being willing to travel long distances for a significantly better price.

This thread is not intended to bash the RV industry but simply to better understand the manufacturer-dealer relationship. Am I wrong about the relationship between the manufacturers and the dealers?
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 10:42 AM   #2

Might be a new webpage but its not a new statement by FR. You are correct, not the same as the auto industry. These dealerships are not franchises. The main point seems to be they do not have to do warranty work if they chose not to do so.
Old 12-22-2016, 11:36 AM   #3

While waiting on service at CW to complete a warranty item I glanced at 3 new brochures. FR, Keystone, and Columbus have a 'buy local' statement on the last page. FR did not go into the frightening details but did say you may get in faster as a priority because you purchased there. Not sure if anything new as I always use CW of Myrtle Beach.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 12:20 PM   #4
Site Team

Yep, the same basic thing has been on the back of FR brochures for at least the last 5 years.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 12:44 PM   #5

The biggest problem with buying RVs local is finding one in the local area. Dealers are only allowed to order a small fraction of what FR sells. In my case I am looking at several 5th wheel trailers. The nearest Crusader dealer is 120 miles away and the nearest Surveyor dealer is 175 miles away. Neither are local so I will buy from them if they give me the best overall price but I will not hesitate to look out of state if that is what it takes to get a good deal.

If I wanted a Chevrolet vehicle I could go to any of a dozen dealers within 50 miles and look at or order any vehicle Chevrolet makes. That is not the case with RVs.
Windjammin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 01:11 PM   #6

Let's guess that by shopping around you might save $7-10K on a new trailer purchase.

Given the widely discussed poor warranty service by both dealers and FR, by asking us to shop local they want to effectively charge us the savings to get questionable service and support from whatever dealer happens to be local.

Not what you'd call a good deal.
johnbryanpeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 01:36 PM   #7
Comox Valley RV

Being a RV sales consultant and former auto industry service manager, I truly believe you will get the best service from both your sales consultant and the service department at your local dealer. Having said that, I am embarrassed by the lack of "service" from almost every dealer in this industry. The, "if you didn't buy it here, piss off" attitude is hard to wrap my head around. I know, from experience, service drives sales as much as sales drives service. If a dealer offers both, they win. It seems owners don't get that, so here we are, in an industry selling high end products to hard working people who have no faith in the dealer they are buying from. We are probably decades away still from offering proper service to all customers. I will stay true to myself and my customers and help them any way I possibly can when they have an issue with their RV. Unfortunately, my hands are tied when they happen to be "out of town" and something goes wrong. I've read time and time again, it's easier to just pay for the repair than to go through the hassle of warranty. One day . . .
Canuckshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 01:40 PM   #8

I resent being forced to buy a model line that I do not like just "to buy it local"
JP Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 01:43 PM   #9

Everyone has different experience with dealers here is mine. I purchased a 2004 Jayco in Detroit at a large RV show at the stadium. The 2004 had issue with several items. I took it to local dealer living in Oak Ridge TN the dealer was in Knoxville. I returned from vacation to Hawaii called the dealer and was told that they had no idea when it would get done he said you didn't buy from us so not sure if we can get to it. I contacted Jayco and was told that it was like buying a car if you don't buy from dealer they don't have to fix your car. I explained that has never happened to me. I told her they (dealer or Jayco) would not get my business again. I did get a Brookestone (coachman) have been happy with service.
marvinwm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 01:44 PM   #10

IMHO most of the dealers are close to worthless after the sale. At the Texas Frog rally, a FR Rep told us about FR's new push for quality. This is greatly appreciated. When making future purchases, I plan to find the best price. Get the two year FR WArrantee. And, work with local RV techs when I need additional help. Maybe, someday, the dealers will make a sincere effort to develop and retain competent staff and facilities to repair and maintain the equipment they sell.
Rollingdunder1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 01:46 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuckshaw View Post
Being a RV sales consultant and former auto industry service manager, I truly believe you will get the best service from both your sales consultant and the service department at your local dealer. ..... I will stay true to myself and my customers and help them any way I possibly can when they have an issue with their RV. Unfortunately, my hands are tied when they happen to "out of town" and something goes wrong. . . .
I am local but always deal with Sean Kwant at Myrtle Beach CW. Sean is the internet sales manager and takes great care of his customers before and after the sale. He will not hesitate to go to the Sales Mgr, Service Mgr, or General Mgr on his customers behalf. You two sound a lot alike. JR in parts is always looking to save you time and money as well.
Old 12-22-2016, 01:49 PM   #12
Comox Valley RV

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP Camper View Post
I resent being forced to buy a model line that I do not like just "to buy it local"
I don't think any manufacturer is forcing anyone to buy anything. They are trying to promote local dealers, but if what you want isn't available locally, go buy it from where it is.
Old 12-22-2016, 01:51 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuckshaw View Post
I don't think any manufacturer is forcing anyone to buy anything. They are trying to promote local dealers, but if what you want isn't available locally, go buy it from where it is.
Not forced is correct. Bigger dealers have quite a selection. Mine handles FR, Keystone, Heartland, Winnebago, and probably more.
Old 12-22-2016, 01:53 PM   #14
Comox Valley RV

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJohn View Post
I am local but always deal with Sean Kwant at Myrtle Beach CW. Sean is the internet sales manager and takes great care of his customers before and after the sale. He will not hesitate to go to the Sales Mgr, Service Mgr, or General Mgr on his customers behalf. You two sound a lot alike. JR in parts is always looking to save you time and money as well.
Yes, there are a number of us out there. I'm happy you found someone you can trust. I live and work in my community and I see my customers away from work on a regular basis. I think we all need to maintain a level honesty, integrity and trustworthiness in all levels of our lives, professional and personal. Because, they intermingle. One is never separate from the other.
Old 12-22-2016, 01:53 PM   #15

Buy local is easy for the manufacturer to advocate but does not always work for the customer. Availability and price of the desired RV and quality of the local dealer come into play. Additionally, RV's are not like cars, they are most frequently used away from the "local" dealer and in some cases are homes for many owners who don't stay in one place. I have never been denied or had to get to the back of the line for any car I have purchased that needed repair, and I usually don't buy local because our dealers won't deal. RV owners should be treated the same. Its not like they aren't paid for warranty repairs. The manufacturers can change this but they don't seem to be movated to do so. I believe this is due to many of us RV owners just fix it ourselves.
nicholsm4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 02:01 PM   #16

Our dealer, Fun Town, in Cleburn, Texas ; the largest towable dealer in the country, was very attentive during the sale process. Our salesperson, John Wood, was/is a great resource for information. The dealership was close to worthless for warranty. Did not return phone calls or emails. When they finally approached the warranty work; they kept the rig a long time and DID NOT accomplish the work. Contrast that with Carlsbad, NM RV sales and service who sent a high level technician to our site and made very good repairs after a blow-out. A few good dealers. Most just glorified shoe salesmen.
Rollingdunder1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 02:05 PM   #17
Comox Valley RV

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholsm4 View Post
Buy local is easy for the manufacturer to advocate but does not always work for the customer. Availability and price of the desired RV and quality of the local dealer come into play. Additionally, RV's are not like cars, they are most frequently used away from the "local" dealer and in some cases are homes for many owners who don't stay in one place. I have never been denied or had to get to the back of the line for any car I have purchased that needed repair, and I usually don't buy local because our dealers won't deal. RV owners should be treated the same. Its not like they aren't paid for warranty repairs. The manufacturers can change this but they don't seem to be movated to do so. I believe this is due to many of us RV owners just fix it ourselves.
Unfortunately, the reality of RV warranty is that dealers lose money on warranty repairs. Manufacturers dictate the labour times and rates and send parts at their cost. Until the manufacturers step up with reasonable times and rates, dealers will continue to avoid repairing "someone else's" problem. The dealers are independent businesses, as had been mentioned in a previous post, and need to be profitable or go under. The industry has needed an overhaul for decades. So, we deal with it because we love the life!
Old 12-22-2016, 02:08 PM   #18

Thank you for your insight. It is appreciated.
2007 Explorer Sport Trac
fredhardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 02:28 PM   #19

Buying local

I bought local, because I knew what I wanted, and J and J Camper, East Moline had it. I had a 30 foot Trail Lite that I had before bought from th m becore. What filled my needs just happened to be a FR Shasta Phoenix 33CK. I had a lot of warranty issues when I first got the Phoenix, but J and J worked wirh FR and now I'm happy with it. Many years ago before I ever bought one, my mom and dad drove their motorhome out fro California, and it broke down. They had an excellent response and went way out of their way to help them.
Rick_Geneseo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 03:10 PM   #20

I guess I'm lucky in one respect. I live close enough to the factories in Indiana that I can call and deal direct and that is a big plus. !.5 hours and I'm there.... and I've been there before.
SidecarFlip is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
forest river