Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-06-2014, 08:14 PM   #1

Forest River dilemma

So, here's the situation: DW and I are looking to trade in our Salem for a new camper, a toy hauler. Now, we all know that Forest River makes several different product lines, and not every "Forest River" dealer carries every product line. So I really want to purchase model "X", and I really want to purchase it from dealer "A." The problem is, dealer "A" does not carry line "X," even though he carries other Forest River product lines. I consider this dealer my "home" dealer, as I've spent over two years building up a relationship with them and I feel comfortable with their service. I don't want to buy anywhere else. Because this dealer does not carry product "X," the only way he can order this camper is to begin to carry the product line, in which case he has to order at least four of them for his lot. The dealer doesn't really want to do this, and I can't say I blame him. So is there anything that I, as the end consumer can do? Is there someone at Forest River I can communicate this issue to, to help facilitate the process? Or is it something the parent company and the dealer just have to hash out?

I'm sure Forest River has their reasons for doing things the way they do, but I would think they would jump at the chance for an existing dealer to carry a single sample of a different product line, in the hopes to get more eyeballs on them and possibly more orders. Am I nuts? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.
2019 Honda CRV (camping support vehicle)
2014 Harley Davidson FLHX (XLR cargo)
2011 Ram 2500 CC 4X4 CTD, B&W Companion (toy hauler hauler)
Taranwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 10:21 PM   #2

Perhaps it because dealer “B”, who actually carries the brand “X” you want, has an agreement with Forest River for exclusive rights to sell brand “X” within your area. This keeps dealer “A” and dealer “B” from cutting each other’s throat.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 10:48 PM   #3
Phat Phrog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taranwanderer View Post
So, here's the situation: DW and I are looking to trade in our Salem for a new camper, a toy hauler. Now, we all know that Forest River makes several different product lines, and not every "Forest River" dealer carries every product line. So I really want to purchase model "X", and I really want to purchase it from dealer "A." The problem is, dealer "A" does not carry line "X," even though he carries other Forest River product lines. I consider this dealer my "home" dealer, as I've spent over two years building up a relationship with them and I feel comfortable with their service. I don't want to buy anywhere else. Because this dealer does not carry product "X," the only way he can order this camper is to begin to carry the product line, in which case he has to order at least four of them for his lot. The dealer doesn't really want to do this, and I can't say I blame him. So is there anything that I, as the end consumer can do? Is there someone at Forest River I can communicate this issue to, to help facilitate the process? Or is it something the parent company and the dealer just have to hash out?

I'm sure Forest River has their reasons for doing things the way they do, but I would think they would jump at the chance for an existing dealer to carry a single sample of a different product line, in the hopes to get more eyeballs on them and possibly more orders. Am I nuts? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

Taranwanderer you have the exact same problem we ran into when we wanted to purchase our toyhauler from our local dealer, but they didnt sell that model. They too, sell other FR models though. Sad part is, we loved the toyhauler, so we drove 699 miles to purchase elsewhere. And, to make it sadder, our local desker will not even do warranty work on our rig because they do not sell that model. Cattch 22....
RVChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 08:39 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakman View Post
Perhaps it because dealer “B”, who actually carries the brand “X” you want, has an agreement with Forest River for exclusive rights to sell brand “X” within your area. This keeps dealer “A” and dealer “B” from cutting each other’s throat.
I could buy this argument, but according to the dealer locator on Forest River's website, the nearest dealer that sells line "X" is over 2 hours away from dealer "A." It seems that would be far enough away to keep dealers from stepping on each other's toes, but who knows what Forest River deems "far enough apart?" They (FR) sure don't make it easy to buy the RV you want from the dealer you want, do they?
Old 03-07-2014, 09:21 AM   #5

Quote:
I could buy this argument, but according to the dealer locator on Forest River's website, the nearest dealer that sells line "X" is over 2 hours away from dealer "A." It seems that would be far enough away to keep dealers from stepping on each other's toes, but who knows what Forest River deems "far enough apart?" They (FR) sure don't make it easy to buy the RV you want from the dealer you want, do they?
That is exactly what it is. RV's aren't like cars where every house in America has 2, so the territory is spread out more but the concept is the same. No dealer is going to invest in a showroom, staff, inventory, and advertising if the manufacturer is going to let another guy setup across the street and bid him down on every deal. And the scenario you put out there is equally detrimental to a dealer - if another dealer can order you his brands with no effort or investment and cost him a sale they aren't going to go for that either. I'm sure this territory management is the main reason behind the "twins" like Flagstaff and Rockwood. Gives the mfg a way to get more dealers out there without technically having them selling the same models.

We had this exact problem last year. Our dealer, who we really liked and wanted to buy from didn't have and couldn't get what we wanted. No way around it - even he said that. Fortunately, we found exactly what we wanted and the new dealer was great. Still miss the old guys though.

2022 Columbus 379MBC (Previous 2013 Rockwood Roo 23 IKSS)
2023 F-350 (Previous 2017 F250, 2005 F-150)
KMP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 09:30 AM   #6

See, I don't think it's an "exclusivity" type deal--FR is willing to let dealer "A" carry line "X," it's just that they want the dealer to buy 4 of them right off the bat, which seems unreasonable to me for a new product line. I don't think it's a matter of territory.
Old 03-07-2014, 09:48 AM   #7
Site Team

My local dealer that also has 10 locations across the country, had a model I was interested in (jayco) at one of the other locations.
My local dealer told me they could not sell me that unit nor service it (warranty)because they didnt carry that unit. If I wanted that unit I would have to buy and service that unit from that other location.
The dealer in my area that handles that unit doesn't exactly have a good reputation around here for sales and bad service.
In the end we like the Lacrosse little bit better over the jayco anyway so it made no difference. The 2 year warranty on the jayco is very attractive.

Zelda the campin dog
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 11:11 PM   #8

We bought ours in another city, a 2.5 hr drive from where we lived. Most of our local dealers didn't have what we really liked and wanted in a travel trailer and it had to be light enough for us to tow. Most had travel trailers price beyond our reach or too heavy for our TV or the trailer was too long for us and they did not carry the Salem Cruise lite models. We could have gone into single axle trailers or pop ups (would not make me happy) but we eventually found our trailer that fit needs and budget perfectly and got to spend a night camping with it after we had taken possession of it
Days camped in 2015-18, 0 Days so far
Days camped in 2019, (8)
This Space for Rent
Night Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 11:27 PM   #9

This is the way it is between Mike Thomson RV and Mcmohan. One sells the Forest River Sun seeker the other sells the Forest River Forester. 99.9% the same motorhome. I was told they do this because of thier close proximity to each other.

Forester comes with some of the sun seeker options as standard equip.
parpar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 09:42 AM   #10
Boss Ox & Drovergirl

I ran into this same situation with tractors. I am a John Deere man and my local dealer sold both JD and an "orange" brand. About 6 years ago, when I needed parts, I went to the dealer and they said they couldn't help me any longer because they weren't carrying JD any longer. Why? because JD said that to maintain their dealership they had to increase their in stock inventory by $X which the dealer was not willing to invest in. Even though dealers are generally independent (whether tractor or RV) it is still the company that has the product which controls the license agreements to sell or not to sell at a specific dealership. So with my tractor situation instead of a 10 minute ride to my local community dealer, I have a 50 minute drive to do business with someone I don't know. Eventually I will develop a relationship with the new dealer, but Deere & Co. (not the local dealership) chose to cause the dealer to loose business. Ecconomics, pure and (not so) simple!
1992 Goldwing Aspencade
oxcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 07:20 PM   #11

There's been a resolution!

Well, good news: dealer "A" has decided to begin carrying model "X," so DW and I went to the dealer this weekend and decided to become the first purchasers of model X from this dealer! Woo-hoo! We picked colors and options, etc. Should be in near the end of April. Can't wait to tow my first 5-er! Now to order that Companion...

Thank you to everyone who responded to this thread with your thoughts and suggestions. I'm starting to think that this is the most helpful forum on the Internet. In fact, I think we win the Internet!

If anyone is interested in more information about this model and dealer, please send me a PM. The dealer will have two additional units of this brand on his lot, and I would certainly be glad to help him move them, since he really helped me out.
Old 03-17-2014, 07:34 PM   #12

Taranwanderer, something to think about. Even if you favorite dealer could not do the 'warranty' work (for free reimbursement) he could still work on your unit if you wanted him too and you paid him. The Dealer where I bought my unit is almost 3 hours away. Time, travel, fuel costs add up. Learn to fix it your self. Take it to the local Dealer you trust if it is not 'involved in a lot of time and high dollar maintenance'. And as a final result pull it hours and hours away and kill the better part of two days if you have leave it, one to take it and one to pick it up.

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 08:01 PM   #13
DW's 401(k) Plan

We pretty much had the same problem... we wanted to stay with a Rockwood and DW had her heart set on an Ultra Lite 2702ss. Well, closest dealer for the 2702ss was 90 miles away. However, dealer about 65 miles away had a Flagstaff Super Lite 27BESS. Same trailer, different graphics and interior colors. Might have gone with the furthest dealer, except he never called me back on the availability.
His loss was our gain. Got a great deal and found out the closest dealer is AWESOME! Have already had to have work done and the people were great.
THAT is when I found out FR has pretty much the same trailers in a couple different lines.

"Sunny" the 2017 Sunseeker 3010DS
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
.... and lovin' life........MOST of the time.
DaGrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 10:13 AM   #14

Quote:
Well, good news: dealer "A" has decided to begin carrying model "X," so DW and I went to the dealer this weekend and decided to become the first purchasers of model X from this dealer! Woo-hoo! We picked colors and options, etc. Should be in near the end of April
Wow - sounds like that worked out perfectly.

Enjoy the new rig!

2022 Columbus 379MBC (Previous 2013 Rockwood Roo 23 IKSS)
2023 F-350 (Previous 2017 F250, 2005 F-150)
KMP44 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
forest river