Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-09-2013, 11:41 AM   #1

Forest River extended warranty

We purchased the extended warranty from Forest River and need some repair work done. Does anyone know how to go about using this? Don't want to take it back to where we purchased it because some of the things that are still wrong with it were not repaired correctly the first time.
jmswms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 12:01 PM   #2

May I semi-hijack this thread with you?

I was told I have 10 days to buy the 'second' year maintenance on my 2014 831BHDS from the date of purchase.

1. Is that right (10 days to buy from purchase date)
2. What does that second year actually cover?
3. I don't want to bring it to the dealership, if I dont have to (its over 4 hours away)
Hellwig Sway Bar 7272
Equalizer Hitch system
Long Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 12:07 PM   #3

You can check with any other FR dealer of your choice and see if they will schedule the work - they are not obligated to do warranty work. Or call the FR warranty department and ask them for some names of authorized service centers.

2022 Columbus 379MBC (Previous 2013 Rockwood Roo 23 IKSS)
2023 F-350 (Previous 2017 F250, 2005 F-150)
KMP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 12:27 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Islander View Post
May I semi-hijack this thread with you?

I was told I have 10 days to buy the 'second' year maintenance on my 2014 831BHDS from the date of purchase.

1. Is that right (10 days to buy from purchase date)
2. What does that second year actually cover?
3. I don't want to bring it to the dealership, if I dont have to (its over 4 hours away)
1. it's not that official a timeframe, there's some wiggle room.
i believe it's starts when you officially pick it up.
2. it's the same as the one year factory warranty.
3. you don't need to involve the dealership. you just send in the form with a check.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 06:39 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMP44 View Post
You can check with any other FR dealer of your choice and see if they will schedule the work - they are not obligated to do warranty work. Or call the FR warranty department and ask them for some names of authorized service centers.
Thanks. I don't have any dealerships on my island.
Hellwig Sway Bar 7272
Equalizer Hitch system
Old 10-09-2013, 07:21 PM   #6

I never got any paperwork for this extended warranty with our new 5th wheel, just our selling dealer pushing a 5 to 7 thousand dollar extended warranty. When I called FR they sold me a 2nd year even though it had been 4 months since delivery. I am a little irritated with the selling dealer, I can not prove it but there was no paperwork for the second year, and no mention of it by the dealer as they do not make any money selling it.
MMattox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 09:01 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMattox View Post
I never got any paperwork for this extended warranty with our new 5th wheel, just our selling dealer pushing a 5 to 7 thousand dollar extended warranty. When I called FR they sold me a 2nd year even though it had been 4 months since delivery. I am a little irritated with the selling dealer, I can not prove it but there was no paperwork for the second year, and no mention of it by the dealer as they do not make any money selling it.
I think it is common practice by dealers to not mention the available second year warranty from Forest River. The place we bought our trailer from a few months back did the same thing. Didn't say squat about it, but tried like heck to pitch me the one they made money off of...I bought our second year warranty direct from Forest River over the phone.
Campster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 09:30 PM   #8

Quote:
Thanks. I don't have any dealerships on my island.
Wow. Wouldn't have guessed that. Maybe they have an authorized reapair facilty on the island... That is a major pain to go through to get to a dealer.

Old 10-10-2013, 05:09 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campster View Post

I think it is common practice by dealers to not mention the available second year warranty from Forest River. The place we bought our trailer from a few months back did the same thing. Didn't say squat about it, but tried like heck to pitch me the one they made money off of...I bought our second year warranty direct from Forest River over the phone.
The manufacture should keep tabs on these cases to ensure new owner's experience isn't missing out on something that is offered.

Dealers accountability: Dealers should be hit with a charge back or something to that nature.

Ideas include: Paperwork/process may need to be changed to ensure customers obtain the warranty. Maybe make it a sticker or something (like the one on the floor telling you about the stain-resist process or the new mattress ad ) . Put the sticker in the sink or fridge. Reverse the process, make customers sign a form denying the second year warranty then make it required for the dealership to send back to Forest River Just ideas..

My dealership: They not only provided it, but prefilled it out and highlighted where to sign / date.

The point is: I've been reading all over the net that dealerships aren't telling customers and pawning third party insurance. And the manufacture needs to address it.
Hellwig Sway Bar 7272
Equalizer Hitch system
Old 10-10-2013, 11:18 AM   #10
Site Team

Long Islander, you're making a mistake that many new owners do, assuming the RV industry works like other large industries, especially like the Auto industry.
it doesn't and the only thing the two industries have in common, are that they have places that sell things on wheels. other than that, they are very different.
the RV dealers don't have the same relationship with the manufacturer, like the Auto dealers do.
they are not franchised nor can the RV manufacturer force them to do warranty work on units that they didn't sell. the manufacturer cannot force them to sell the second year warranty, they can only request that.
RV dealers often have the freedom to add or drop different brands whenever they want to.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 11:42 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Long Islander, you're making a mistake that many new owners do, assuming the RV industry works like other large industries, especially like the Auto industry.
it doesn't and the only thing the two industries have in common, are that they have places that sell things on wheels. other than that, they are very different.
the RV dealers don't have the same relationship with the manufacturer, like the Auto dealers do.
they are not franchised nor can the RV manufacturer force them to do warranty work on units that they didn't sell. the manufacturer cannot force them to sell the second year warranty, they can only request that.
RV dealers often have the freedom to add or drop different brands whenever they want to.
Ahh! I see now. Thank you for bringing me to understanding.

Here's a thought then, take out the $150 fee and just offer every NEW owner 2 years. (or add it to the price of the unit, lowering the fee given every one will be enrolled, thus higher % of participants). This gives FR a nice solid feel toward its product maybe a good selling point for its dealers too..

FR offers not 1 but 2 years on its TT!

I just dont like hearing that people are getting screwed from 'salesman' trying to pawn off a third party warranty when it's not needed for the first (2) years.

Again, just conversation. The folks I purchased by RV at were respectful, caring, and offered everything I wanted and more. I bought mine right from an RV show hours after it opened. Great experience.

I then went to the dealership days later with my agreed trade-in TT and price and was handed my keys after paperwork was completed. Then I got the packet Forest River provides along with a pre-filled out 2nd year warranty from FR.

I highly suggest anyone looking for an RV on the east coat to use this dealership (Escape RV). Mind you this is my third TT.
Hellwig Sway Bar 7272
Equalizer Hitch system
Old 10-10-2013, 04:39 PM   #12

Quote:
Ahh! I see now. Thank you for bringing me to understanding.

Here's a thought then, take out the $150 fee and just offer every NEW owner 2 years.
That is what Jayco does - and they make sure you know it when you read their brochures...

I like your sticker idea - we had a FROGS memebership sign-up hanging on the microwave. Put the warranty info on there.

Like you, our dealer showed us the form. Didn't push it or say it was a good deal, but made a point of telling us it was there. I'm happy that we bought it where we did, even if they may not have been the absolute lowest price. Working with a good dealer is worth something, and with fuel cost (and the value of my free time) working with a good local dealer is even better.

Tags
forest river, warranty