Old 05-04-2008, 09:38 PM   #11

my cedar creek is 5/8,
as for marine grade I call a foul
i got up close and personal with mine this winter when we replaced our carpeting with a vinyl flooring, and the wood underneath was just plain ol plywood, no distinguishing marks for MARINE grade or glue
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 059.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	150.3 KB
ID:	836  

Old 05-04-2008, 10:53 PM   #12

Marine grade should have a green look to it, at least the marine grade 1/2 inch I bought for my boat flooring was. Randy

Flowmaster "true duals", 380 h.p., Bilstein shocks
08flagvlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 05:35 AM   #13

Marine Grade plywood is treated with Copper Sulfate and should not be used in side, it is no different then pressure treated lumber for decking or out side framing. Lumber that is treated will gave off gases which is harmful to the respiratory system. Copper Sulfate is blue/green in color and is design to hold up in out door weather, and you might notice that treated lumber has a warranty. There is a possibitly that the plywood may have some kind of clear seal coat or some other kind of treatment.
Old 05-05-2008, 08:39 AM   #14
Head Rambler

One other attribute about marine grade plywood is that it's always 7-ply and marine grade doesn't have to be treated to carry that designation. It's the construction and glue that makes it marine grade. If 5-ply is what you've got it's most likely exterior grade B-C.
Old 05-05-2008, 12:17 PM   #15

I just checked the on line and found a Marine Grade plywood that is not 7 ply, it is called Italian Lite plywood and it is 3 ply (not water proof ). If you want water proof and rot resistance, it must be treated. Marine Plywood requires specific types of wood to durable and have the reputation that it has.
Old 05-05-2008, 12:37 PM   #16

Thanks for everyone's reply. I contacted Forest River today and spoke to someone (Rick) in the manufacturing plant. He stated that the plywood is indeed waterproofed and is listed as exterior-grade plywood. Basically, it is as waterproof and exterior treated as can be used on an interior. Interesting to find out that according to Forest River, they are the only manufacturer that uses this floor vs. OSB that will rot.
Old 05-05-2008, 05:37 PM   #17

sounds like a good thing
Old 05-06-2008, 04:44 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaspasser36 View Post
Thanks for everyone's reply. I contacted Forest River today and spoke to someone (Rick) in the manufacturing plant. He stated that the plywood is indeed waterproofed and is listed as exterior-grade plywood. Basically, it is as waterproof and exterior treated as can be used on an interior. Interesting to find out that according to Forest River, they are the only manufacturer that uses this floor vs. OSB that will rot.
What type of treatment?
Old 05-06-2008, 09:01 PM   #19

O.K. Here's the story. Rick from Forest River HQ said that it is indeed marine-grade plywood. He said that what makes something marine-grade is the waterproof glue that they use. This is an upgrade from just exterior-grade plywood and is something different than treated wood. From what he said and from what I have researched, the wolmanized (treated) wood is the one that is green and previously was treated with copper sulfate and now a salt base. This type of wood shouldn't be used inside and can warp when subjected to a lot of water. But this is different than marine-grade.
Old 05-07-2008, 08:12 AM   #20
Head Rambler

That's good news. I wonder how long they've been doing that?

As a side note: (and I'm not saying it's not Marine Grade) There's more to marine grade plywood than the glue. Here's what the APA (Engineered Wood Assoc) writes about it.

"Marine-grade plywood is a specially designed panel made entirely of Douglas-fir or Western Larch. The grade of all plies of veneer is B or better, which means it may have knots, but no knotholes. The panels are sanded on both faces, and are also available with Medium Density Overlay (MDO) or High Density Overlay (HDO) faces. The maximum core-gap size permitted is 1/8 inch. Its exposure durability rating is EXTERIOR and the glue used is a fully waterproof structural adhesive. It is considered a “premium” panel grade for use in situations where these characteristics are required, i.e., for boat hulls and other marine applications where bending is involved.

Marine-grade plywood is available in 4x8-foot sheets of 1/4, 3/8, 1/2, 5/8 and 3/4-inch thickness. Sheets up to 5x12 feet are also available. Available grades are A-A, A-B, B-B (face-back), MDO and HDO.

Marine-grade plywood is not treated with any chemicals to enhance its resistance to decay. If decay is a concern, it should be pressure-preservative treated to an appropriate standard."