Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-07-2016, 11:05 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Movike View Post
We had a V-Cross Vibe made by Forest River, and had problem after problem with it. My wife hated it. We was reluctant to buy another Forest River, but we was on a lot looking at Jayco's and out of curiosity, stepped into the Rockwood that we now have and instantly loved it. After spending a couple of days researching the Rockwoods and finding mostly positive reviews, we decided to get it. We've not had a single issue and we love it. Both Forest River, but night and day difference between the two, problems wise.
Movike- I notice you're from Lebanon. We bought our Rockwood at Quality RV in Linn Creek, MO. Is that where you bought yours? No problems with ours so far...and we love ours.

Hey you guys- don't be afraid to name the dealers you bought from and whether their service is good or bad!
RangeMaggotBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 04:47 AM   #22

We did buy from Quality RV. we love ours too. Planning for our first outing of the year in a couple of weeks. Taking it to Yellowstone and Montana in July. Are you from Lebanon too?
US Navy veteran
Movike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 07:16 AM   #23
Camp Bartender

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmac04401 View Post
Stephen what dealer did you use? I have not had good luck or heard good comments with local dealers in York/ Hanover PA area.
We bought from Bens Rv Center on Route 30 in York.

2015-2018: 20 Trips, 61 Nights Camped
2018: 5 Trips, 15 Nights Camped
2019: 2 Trips, 10 nights so far......
stevensmith2859 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 07:35 AM   #24

Forest River quality

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevensmith2859 View Post
We bought from Bens Rv Center on Route 30 in York.

Hmm. Good to know.
2020 Ram 2500 Crew cab 6.5 bed

Ron & Shirley (Empty Nesters)
rmac04401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 07:36 AM   #25
Camp Bartender

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmac04401 View Post
Hmm. When I looked up reviews on that one was not great maybe they have got better. Good to know.
We had a great experience the whole time. We honestly cannot say anything bad. Even the PDI was very extensive and lasted well over an hour.

2015-2018: 20 Trips, 61 Nights Camped
2018: 5 Trips, 15 Nights Camped
2019: 2 Trips, 10 nights so far......
stevensmith2859 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 07:39 AM   #26
Gold Miner At Heart

I agree I think the dealer's service dept. has a lot to do with things. However I don't believe all manufacturers are the same. My friend purchased a new Prowler and it was one problem after another. He was so upset after spending on a new 5er. BUT, the dealer worked hard and eventually made everything right. The awning was even designed wrong and he couldn't even open the door with the awning out. They found out that all of that model had a bad design and had to be redesigned. I've owned four Jaycos and one Crossroads with no problems and a year ago I purchased my first used 5er. Although I've had to repair a few leaks when I bought it; it was the result of not winterizing correctly. I really feel bad for anyone that buys a new or used unit and has problems.
Old 04-08-2016, 07:42 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevensmith2859 View Post
We had a great experience the whole time. We honestly cannot say anything bad. Even the PDI was very extensive and lasted well over an hour.

Maybe I'll check them out if I need major warranty
work.
2020 Ram 2500 Crew cab 6.5 bed

Ron & Shirley (Empty Nesters)
rmac04401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 11:08 AM   #28

Might go look at a Puma 295BHSS at the local dealer this weekend but with temps in the 20ºs, we may wait until next weekends forecast of 60ºs! I think for the money and our budget we are going to take our chances with the Puma. Just hope it's not another Coachman-like nightmare!

sledhead77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 11:32 AM   #29

I had a check in hand, did the PDI on the camper, it was $23K for a APEX 279RLSS, so I really did not expect Airstream quality. But, it fits our needs and as long as it does not leak right out of the gate. It will leak one day, ALL rv's leak. You must maintain them! But, with check in hand, I dropped the shop guy a $50 as he was adjusting WD hitch. Ask him was I getting a good camper? He said yes, APEX was a good one. He told me if we were looking at getting a couple of other brands they sell he would have let me know not to do the deal. He is the one that gets the calls, and has to service these things. Also, yes, you can get a bad one in any brand. Guy has a bad day or the crew is pissed for what ever reason, they can mess some things up. I believe that Coachmen has come around over past couple of years and doing a good job now. But, @ $23K, again, this is not a $80K Airstream, and we are OK with that. Good luck!
chaztrewhitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 10:21 AM   #30

I purchased a Flagstaff TT by Forest River, took possession of it on December 26th. On January 20th we took it on a 4000 mile trip from Denver to San Diego and back and many different off highway routes in between. I was worried about not having taken it on a few short trips like I normally do to test things out. Not one issue with the rig. I am so pleased with the way it performed from top to bottom, front to back and sided to side. When doing an extensive PDI the service guy told me that they are seeing less warranty issues on the lower and mid cost units from Forest River over the past few months as he believes it was due to a new real tough quality control process at the factory. He said that since the profits from the factory can't absorb the cost of warranty work that the lower end units have been arriving with very few issues. He did say that was not the case on the higher end units. Not sure how much of this is true but it does make sense when you look at the number.
Airborne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 08:30 PM   #31

Quote:
We did buy from Quality RV. we love ours too. Planning for our first outing of the year in a couple of weeks. Taking it to Yellowstone and Montana in July. Are you from Lebanon too?
No, we live south of Gainesville on the MO/AR state line. Have had no major issues so far, so no opinion yet on the service at Quality RV. A few minor things, but that was due to operator error. We did have an excellent PDI, and that makes a big difference. I've read that some places actually charge money for the PDI. But- we asked them to put mud dauber screens on the vents. We got $30.00 credit in their parts store and purchased them there. They charged us $5.00 to put them on. WTF? If it wasn't so trivial it would be funny! Have you guys had to use the service department yet?
Old 04-09-2016, 09:00 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdst51 View Post
No, we live south of Gainesville on the MO/AR state line. Have had no major issues so far, so no opinion yet on the service at Quality RV. A few minor things, but that was due to operator error. We did have an excellent PDI, and that makes a big difference. I've read that some places actually charge money for the PDI. But- we asked them to put mud dauber screens on the vents. We got $30.00 credit in their parts store and purchased them there. They charged us $5.00 to put them on. WTF? If it wasn't so trivial it would be funny! Have you guys had to use the service department yet?

That was kind of trivial to charge $5 to put the screens on after you just spent $$$$ on a new camper! We have not had to use the service department. Haven't had any issues with the camper, but we only got to use it 3 times last season before it was time to winterize. We're planning on taking our first outing for this year in 2 weeks.
Where in the area do you like to camp? We're always looking for new places to go. We're in the planning stages now for a trip to Yellowstone and SW Montana this summer.
US Navy veteran
Old 04-09-2016, 09:20 PM   #33

Quote:
Where in the area do you like to camp? We're always looking for new places to go. We're in the planning stages now for a trip to Yellowstone and SW Montana this summer.
I not the one you asking but we do camp in that area a lot. The 24th we going to Branson and we are staying at Cooper Creek RV park just outside Branson. Great trout fishing and we pulled some nice browns out of the lake and don't even have to leave the camp grounds. We also go to Beaver Lake and stay at the Damn site and with a senior card it cost 8 bucks a night right on the White River with clear clean water and some nice trout fishing also.
Sold 2016 Keystone Montana 3711FL
Sold - 2015 Crusader 315RST 5th Wheel -
2015 Ford F350 SRW Cargo Capacity 3744
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 11:21 PM   #34

Take a look at the Grand Design 5th wheels. We gave them a thorough lookie when we were shopping but settled on a class C when the new truck I would have needed to haul a 5er cost as much as our class C.

https://www.visitedstatesmap.com/image/NCTNVAsm.jpg
KJcachers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 11:30 PM   #35

Quote:
That was kind of trivial to charge $5 to put the screens on after you just spent $$$$ on a new camper! We have not had to use the service department. Haven't had any issues with the camper, but we only got to use it 3 times last season before it was time to winterize. We're planning on taking our first outing for this year in 2 weeks.
We camp mostly at the Bull Shoals/White River State Park. Reason being is it's only about 20 minutes from home if we really take our time. The White River is arguably the best trout fishing river in the country, and we're always going for those big browns. And it's a gorgeous place.
We decided not to go anywhere too far because it takes so much of our precious vacation time to get anywhere, so we're going to stay local til we retire, which is in about 3 years. Pontiac, Oakland, Ozark Isle, Quarry Park, Lakeview, all COE parks, all close by and all nice campgrounds, and all within a half hour, except Quarry Park, which is below Norfork dam; probably about 50-60 minutes to get there. But when the time comes, we're headed out west. There is so many places that need to be seen, you could spend years out there and still have plenty of places to go. You'll have a blast at Yellowstone and Montana in general.
Old 04-10-2016, 06:31 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWSWine View Post
I not the one you asking but we do camp in that area a lot. The 24th we going to Branson and we are staying at Cooper Creek RV park just outside Branson. Great trout fishing and we pulled some nice browns out of the lake and don't even have to leave the camp grounds. We also go to Beaver Lake and stay at the Damn site and with a senior card it cost 8 bucks a night right on the White River with clear clean water and some nice trout fishing also.

Seems like we may have camped at Cooper Creek once a few years ago, sounds familiar anyway, we've haven't been to Beaver or Bull Shoals yet, but I'll check out Damsite, might have to put it on our list. Thanks.
US Navy veteran
Old 04-10-2016, 06:52 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdst51 View Post
We camp mostly at the Bull Shoals/White River State Park. Reason being is it's only about 20 minutes from home if we really take our time. The White River is arguably the best trout fishing river in the country, and we're always going for those big browns. And it's a gorgeous place.
We decided not to go anywhere too far because it takes so much of our precious vacation time to get anywhere, so we're going to stay local til we retire, which is in about 3 years. Pontiac, Oakland, Ozark Isle, Quarry Park, Lakeview, all COE parks, all close by and all nice campgrounds, and all within a half hour, except Quarry Park, which is below Norfork dam; probably about 50-60 minutes to get there. But when the time comes, we're headed out west. There is so many places that need to be seen, you could spend years out there and still have plenty of places to go. You'll have a blast at Yellowstone and Montana in general.
We've been wanting to go to Bull Shoals/White River for years, but still haven't made it. I have a cousin that lives in Harrison, and they go there a lot. We did camp with them at Buffalo River State Park once, really nice park.
We aren't retired yet either, so most of our weekenders, aren't too far away either. Bennett Springs, Lake of the Ozarks, Pomme de Terre mostly, and occasionally Branson. This will be our first trip out west with a big camper. Wasn't planning on it this year either, but with the price of fuel, decided this might be the time to do it. We did take a pop-up one year and went to the Grand Canyon, north rim, Zion, Monument Valley, Arches, and Mesa Verde and had a blast. So I'm really looking forward to this trip.
US Navy veteran

Tags
forest river, quality