Closed Thread
Old 08-04-2016, 07:12 AM   #11
You are correct

Originally Posted by ilmor View Post
I've owned 7 RVs from 5 different manufacturers and trust me, none of them are perfect. You can get on any RV manufacturers forum and read similar stuff. What should be noted, however, is you can't base overall quality on the tiny subset on this forum vs. the vast number of owners. Naturally, those few with serious problems will post here. Most owners probably don't know or care that there is a forum.
Unfortunately, there is no statistically valid information available to consumers regarding RV quality. A Consumer Reports type annual publication of automotive reliability would be a great addition and very useful to purchasers. So anecdotal evidence on these forums - both pro and con - is what we have. Most owners may not care, but they should.

Lemon Laws available in all States covering trailers and motorhomes would be a powerful incentive to all manufacturers to clean up their acts. However, I expect that WB has the ear of our next President - so this is unlikely to occur on a Federal level.

Old 08-04-2016, 07:46 AM   #12
Originally Posted by flugelboneman View Post
Just wondering if the new quality control center advocated by Warren Buffett when he became involved in the company is operational. If it is, something is wrong.
Did the Oracle advocate that QC facility? He needs to advocate enlarging it from 20,000 sq ft to about 500,000 sq ft, hiring about 500 new people to staff it, and running everything that comes out of any of the 86 plants through it.

I think that facility is nothing more than a marketing gimmick for brochures and websites. When asked about it I was told only a very small percentage of units ever make it to that facility.

There is also...supposedly...another QC program called a division pull. This takes place in the individual plant itself and is done by a separate group/section. We ordered a Rockwood Roo and were delivered a unit that was beyond belief with build issues, so much so we ultimately rejected it despite two months + worth of trying to get it corrected and promises that it would be made right. We decided to have them build another unit, a second chance if you will. I was told about this special QC inspection program, and that it could be requested to be performed on an ordered unit. When we placed the second order I requested it go through this program, and the factory rep confirmed it would go through that process.

When the 2nd unit arrived the end of April I again asked if it had gone through the inspection before I even seen it, and was told it did. It apparently added about a week to the lead time. The 2nd unit was substantially better all around, but interestingly if it went through that inspection, it still had some of the same build issues as the first, and some blatant defects that I do not know how they could be missed on the assembly line, let alone in a "special" QC inspection. Anyhow we ultimately purchased the unit as I was tired of dealing with it.

At the time I was thinking it went through that special inspection and made a difference, and I still offer sincere thanks to the forum member who told me about it. However since April, and taking into account that I spent countless hours and money correcting and fixing things, I have now come to the conclusion that one of three things happened regarding that inspection.

1- It never took place and we were provided lip service it did by the factory rep.
2- It took place and the people that do it are clueless, do not care, or are visually handicapped and either need glasses or are legally blind.
3- The program does not even exist.

I am now betting on #1

In any case after 4 months we now have the unit where we always wanted it, and where we expected it should be from a fit and finish standpoint from the beginning, thanks to our own sweat. Short of something unforeseen happening, such as delam or another manufacturer caused defect or problem, we are fairly happy with it. I can't say anything bad about Rockwoods support after the sale as they painlessly took care of a reimbursement for something and sent me a new microwave. I have come to the conclusion the unit never went through any special inspection though, and I was just lied to about it by the factory. All of that said this is our second Forest River product . People can post up how all the manufacturers are the same but next time we'll try someone else. If they're all the same it can't get any worse. The only thing I know for certain was the two Thor products we had between the two FR products, although not perfect, were a substantially less painful experience than both the FR products. This is probably the last Forest River product we will ever own.

Old 08-04-2016, 08:08 AM   #13
Originally Posted by KatanaPilot View Post
It doesn't take much reading of posts on this forum to figure out that from the smallest trailers to the Berkshires - there are problems with quality on everything FR makes. Delaminated walls, water leaks galore, improper to dangerous wiring, poor to non-existent warranty service, component failure, lousy build quality - you name it - it's being posted here daily.

Size of the company matters nothing. Fiat-Chrysler is a huge company, yet their products routinely end up at the bottom of the quality lists of most of the consumer publications.

Ban me if you want, but you folks that continue to spout the rhetoric about how great this company is, how great their products are and how well they take care of anyone with issues - you aren't seeing what I'm seeing in the multitude of posts from owners with serious issues.
Forums often represent the small majority of individuals that 1) use online forums and 2) have problems. Often times, people that don't normally use online discussion boards will seek them out if and when they have a problem.

I am not saying that FR doesn't have quality control issues, I had a few things I needed to fix/adjust on my 2017 Roo, but what I am saying is that using an online discussion forum as the basis of determining brand quality control issues isn't a good representation of how wide spread issues may be.
Old 08-04-2016, 08:14 AM   #14
Odd to me.........that when threads discuss:
Tow Vehicle Capabilities
Camping and Guns
Diesel vs. Gas
that it won't be long until someone is calling for that thread to be closed. Yet this one keeps popping up, and both sides start calling names, stating opinions as facts, becoming indignant when others don't agree with their side of this, etc. That's a shame, because this is one topic that a rational discussion would probably be of the MOST benefit for all of us.

What I see is that folks are quick to expect processes that they are 'sure' would rectify all quality issues, yet they can't imagine the manpower or costs it'd take to implement them, however wonderful they'd be. Or they settle for poor quality just because they love camping. Both of those occur. Then folks chime in with long discussions about warranty, and buying local, as if a one year temporary warranty issue is of cosmic importance.

Just my nine cents. I admit I know less about it than anyone.......just an observation of the various posts on this.
"Next to prayer, fishing is the most personal relationship of man"Calvin Coolidge
"American by Birth, Southern by the Grace of God"Lewis Grizzard

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
Old 08-04-2016, 08:24 AM   #15
I was under the impression that Mr. Buffit liked the way that Forest River was being run and he left it alone?
There was a big difference in the quality of the V-Cross fiver that I had and the Wilcat fiver that I now have. V-Cross $28,000 vs Wildcat $49,300.
Old 08-04-2016, 09:06 AM   #16
All Warren Buffet cares about is making a buck, Clayton Homes is one that keeps popping up, if Forest River didn't make more money each year you would see someone else running the company. They also use things from Buffet other companies, it's all about saving a buck. I ordered a Wildcat Sterling and that polecat should have never left the factory, in the year that I owned it the dealer had it more than me. About the only camping trips I took with the polecat was back to the dealer. The dealer was Tom Johnson in Marion NC, now Camping World. The squeaky wheel gets the grease and until something bad happens the RV industry will keep producing junk. It's not just one company, I worked on a assembly line and I know first hand how to save a few seconds when putting together a product and when you assemble a lot of units a day it adds up, same way with money. It's not really about quality anymore it's about quantity and how much profit the company makes

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
2015 Cedar Creek 32RL
2012 Silverado 3500HD SRW
Old 08-04-2016, 12:29 PM   #17
RV Exceptions

I have the 2016 2401 R, and it is not badly done, but the quality control appears nonexistent. I find it hard to believe until I look at all of Berkshire Hathaway's companies. Justin boots used to be quite good. There is, however, an exception to poor quality. Five years ago, I bought a travel trailer from a family owned and operated small company is the Vancouver, BC area. They are called Escape Trailers. The materials were not the highest quality, but well-done and construction was excellent. The price was quite reasonable, and just 100 miles from my home in the Puget Sound area of Seattle. Unfortunately, they don't make a MH. Buyers of RVs, like car buyers, only look to the name brands. I'm guilty too. I bought the FR class C when driving by a dealer who was five hours from my home. Stupid? Yes, like most other Americans. An $82,000 impulse buy that I wish that I had not done. So, it is people like most of us who believe the best is Winnebago, Ford, or GIECO must be good because they advertise so. Until we get a little smarter, they will continue to build poorly-built, overpriced trailers and motor homes until we stop buying them. Can't blame Warren; he knows how to make money on stupid people.
Jerry Robillard
2016 FR Forester 2401 R (2015 MBS)
UltraGuage Blue - love it!
Old 08-04-2016, 12:38 PM   #18
I can only vouch for the plant that builds the Rockwood signature ultra light in the Flagstaff superlight. We did tour of the plant that manufactured them and were quite impressed with quality control both times. At every station they examined the previous stations work and point outany problems. At the end of the production line they have two crews one for fit and finish and one for installation that check over the trailer as closely as they can to find problems and make sure everything is OK.any problems that I found is marked with masking tape one color for urgent things in another color for the not so important things that they can fix later but they do fix everything that they can find before it leaves the factory. Our Flagstaff was built very well with very few problems when it came into the dealer. The one major problem we did have forest river was anxious to repair for us and actually brought our trailer back to the factory fixed it within six weeks and headed back to us.
Old 08-04-2016, 12:54 PM   #19
[QUOTE=Aspenmeadow;..Can't blame Warren; he knows how to make money on stupid people.[/QUOTE]

He also knows how to work politicians.
2013 Coachmen Mirada 35DL
Chuck, Susan, and dogs- Gracie the Registered SnackHound and Toby the Wonder Boxer
Old 08-04-2016, 01:09 PM   #20
Retired Ford Tech
Forest River Quality Control

This is my 2 cents. I own a 2008 Georgetown 350ts. We are full-timers since Jan of 2013. We live in our motorhome. I have read this forum for a few years and I have an opinion about the industry. My unit was built in Nov of 2007. The Rv industry was still going pretty strong and in my opinion the quality of people building my unit were pretty competent. As the industry entered the recession and jobs disappeared they looked else where for employment. When the recession started to ease and people were again looking to get into RVing, the RV industry went looking for competent people. They left the business, and the manufactures hired not so knowledgeable people to produce the product. This goes for a lot of the dealers also. Camping World is a JOKE, they should have stayed in the parts and accessory business! On a trip from Washington state to Colorado we passed multiple RV dealers with a ton of units on there lots. To me it looks like the manufactures just bang the units out with no regard to Quality Control. The dealers, (save a few) are clueless and provide the customers with LIP SERVICE in stead of stepping up a fixing the problem. SAD
As you see in my profile, I'm a retired Ford Tech and I had my on Auto Service for 20 years and worked for Ford for 15. I wouldn't have the issues that the RV industry has when I had my shop or were we even allowed at Ford.
The RV industry needs to do a better job across the board and please the customer!

Closed Thread